2014 Mike Francesa Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jul 29, 2014.

1. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

I'm a big fan of Mike Francesa's show, but not really a fan of Francesa himself. I live in Chicago, and his show reminds me of home (Smart Phones are great).

Today he really pissed off some Jets fans as he was mocking Milliner and Geno while he did his show at Giants training camp. I didn't see it on TV, but when he said that there is a better chance that both of them are on the bench than stars in the league the Giants fans cheered.

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I purposely avoid his Giants camp love fest show. I'm surprised that was the only dig at our team. There must have been more.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Bolded: why and how is it even possible?

TNJet and Red Menace like this.
  4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Francesa does get big-shot guests. And if you're a fan of baseball/football/HORSE RACING then Francesa'll drone on about any of those three all day.

Anyway don't we have an encompassing Francesa thread to complain about his anti-Jetism?

5. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I'm sort of the same way. Much like I enjoy looking at car crashes when I drive by, but I'm not a fan of them.

USMC1134 likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is like the dagger in the heart of the idea that Giantbandwagonnerd is a Jets fan.

Jets Esq. and Zach like this.
  7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

What's good about his guests if he talks over them all the time?
    And what's good about his droning if he contradicts himself half of the times and then spends 30 minutes regurgitating that "it neva happen".
    I seriously don't understand why people are listening to him. Bad habits die hard, I guess.

#7 RuJFan, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  8. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

To be fair, he doesn't always talk over his guests. Sometimes he takes a nap.

RuJFan likes this.
  9. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

Content aside I have found sports radio in New England generally more enjoyable than New York. They might not even be that far off content wise, because they are obsessed with the Jets.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Not that I listen to him much these days but the only time he doesn't talk over guys seems to be when he has the obligatory playoff hockey interviews (Pierre McGuire mostly) cause he actually admits/knows he doesn't know jack about hockey so he lets them talk.

11. ozzieny

ozzieny Member

Mike Francesa aka irritable bowel syndrome

12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I dont mind Mike during baseball season. Even though he's a Yankee homer he's tolerable. Fair.

Nothing like that once the calendar switches to August. Then he's unwatchable.

His dislike for the Jets is pretty unprofessional. You would think Rex doggy styled his wife.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Francesa is actually fun to listen too if you are watching for his schtick. When I'm on a drive and something topical about the Jets has occurred I will tune in to get the Russian propaganda version of events.

1. He has a guest on.

Is the guy going to keep talking through the frequent interruptions leading to high comedy as both people talk at once and the volume goes up as they try to talk over each other? Is Francesa going to interview the guest or himself? Is the guest just going to sit there occasionally uttering a word or two as Francesa asks him questions and then answers the questions himself? Will Francesa actually let him talk and express himself at any point? (Odds on this go WAY up if the guest is related to the 80's Giants or 90's Yankees teams, Francesa has a thing for the people he considers to be part of the Royalty)

2. A frequent caller has somehow gotten through the hedge maze designed to weed them out.

The slightly annoyed tone that Francesa adopts as soon as he realizes that Ira from Staten Island is on the other end of the line is a dead giveaway that Ira has come up with yet another phony voice to get past the screeners. You could probably make a fortune selling a DVD of the Francesa screening calls. Sometimes I wonder if some of the frequent callers are an elaborate attempt to prank Francesa and his screeners. I'm guessing Francesa wonders also.

3. The moment has arrived and Francesa has to explain his picks from the previous week.

This can be high comedy because like most of us Francesa is really random in his ability to call NFL results on a consistent basis. The difference is that most of us only have to explain our screwups to ourselves and mostly silently in our heads. Francesa has to explain his screwups to a wide audience of people and he generally does so in the least artful way.

When I'm talking to myself about why my card split last week I generally concede that I left out a bunch of factors that mattered because I didn't look closely enough at any of the matchups not involving the Jets, Fins or Pats. I further concede that I'm biased in favor of some teams and against others and so my predictions tend to be biased as well. Listening to Francesa's mea culpa is generally hysterical because there's no mea in his culpa and he tends to quickly change the topic of conversation to something less threatening than why he didn't pick things right last week.

How often do we get to watch stuff like this? When Francesa is gone it will be a sad day for students of the human condition.

14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I can't stand him, I stopped listening to his show on the fan when ESPN NY came on the air. I love that Boomer and Carton can't stand him either.

15. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

I guess yesterday was his one day to work in the month of July.

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This is so true, he hates Ira. When he calls, hes like "......whatsup....ira"

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly. I love hearing him fumble around, it really is quite entertaining.

_

18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Another thing he occasionally does with his picks: When he gets a bunch wrong he says that it doesn't matter and that he doesn't keep track. Yet, when hes' correct, you often hear him say I told ya so. Such a hypocrite.

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He grew up a Giants fan and is a known Jets hater. It's hard to expect anything else from him at this point.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hate you for keeping him on the air.