2013's Draft and my opinion on our #1 need

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Oct 5, 2012.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

While the season is still in full effect, the injuries suffered in these past two weeks have lead me to believe our shot at the playoffs is at an all time low. With Revis out our lack of pass rush has been more exposed than ever and with Greene under performing again in addition to the Holmes injury, our offense looks dreadful.

My projection for this year at this point is about 6-10 to 7-9, which would put us between picks 9 through 14.

Now when you start to break down what we can do to improve, two glaring needs pop up (IMO), Runningback and Pass Rusher. Personally, I think we desperately need a RB more than an OLB. Why you ask? Well, its clear to me that this offense is most effective with a solid tailback. Running the ball and keeping the defense off the field was a huge factor in 2009-2010 and led us to multiple AFC championship games. I think our best shot to get back to that point would be to acquire the drafts top RB in Marcus Lattimore at all costs in order to reestablish that two headed monster backfield.

With an effective #1 RB, Greene becomes his old self. Beating up on tired defenses was his best skill set, putting him back into that role puts this team back on track. From that point the passing game can open up, improving Sanchez, and our defense can stay fresh.

While I would love a top tier linebacker like Mingo, Jones, or Montgomery, looking deeper into this draft its clear a productive pass rusher maybe acquired anywhere from the first round to the third round. If we can get lucky and land a guy like Chase Thomas, Sean Porter, or Corey Lemonier between rounds 2-3 with the addition to that top RB, I will be extremely pleased going into next season.

Now the question for you all, while adding to this RB conversation, Is the Pass Rusher a bigger need even though there is more depth than there is RBs? I realize BPA is the way to go, but going into the draft with a true #1 need is important.

Let me know what you think.

#1 JohnnyThaJet, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Sir

Sir New Member

As long as were not picking too high and lattimore proves he's 100% healthy I'm on board..a good kid, hard worker, and reall talented.

However, if mingo, jones, and or Montgomery are on the board (right now I'm thinking yetight all be in the top 8 or so) I take one of them.

Lemonier will go rd 1 IMO.

Thoughts on dion Jordan (raw but real big upside) and damontre Moore (my prospect mancrush right now)??

Also, I don't want to go RBI in rd 2 or 3 unless taylor slips just my thought though.

3. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Its funny you mention Moore, I was just PMing laxinx57 about him a few days ago, I love his skill set, and think he can be an excellent player in the NFL. Only reason I hadn't mentioned him in this thread was I cant get a gauge on his draft value just yet. He looks like a solid 2nd rounder to me, but anything can happen, so I mentioned the guys I feel more comfortable with.

Like you said, Dion is raw, hes to definition of raw, but I'd like to see him go against a few better teams before I decide on his value. I think hes a project, but a worthy project. He could be the Chandler Jones of this draft, but again I want to see more.

I think the value of RBs are decreasing in the NFL, so Lattimore should be available in the range I mentioned, maybe even higher. If we can get him and take advantage of the depth of pass rushers in this draft, we can bounce back next year.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Interesting take JTJ.

While I really like Lattimore, his injuries concern me. While it may have no bearing once he is in the NFL, I still have reservations. Also, I'm not an advocate of spending a 1st Rd pick on a RB, unless he's an elite player like Richardson. I'm hoping for a player like Taylor (Stanford) or Lacy (Bama) in the Rd 2-3 area. I totally agree we need a feature back and I'm willing to hope a 2013 pick or Powell will emerge.

I have major concerns with our LB group and if Te'o is available he would be difficult to pass.

While I hate guessing our 1st 3 picks, cause I believe in BPA with a common sense approach.....ILB, RB, OLB would be my current selections.

Te'o, ILB, S Taylor, RB, & Thomas or Porter, OLBs!!!!

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

What about Montee Ball? Wasn't he a Heisman candidate last year?

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

As you know Johnny, Im a big Lattimore fan. I think he is a great all around player and is one of those 3 dimensional RB's teams crave. He seems almost 100% from his ACL and hopefully it wont effect him again, being that it is not nearly the death sentence it was years ago. I see him falling somewhere in between Trent and Doug Martin as prospects last year and he should fall between that 10-24 range I would think. Even though I think we will be drafting somewhere within the top 8, if we where in that 10-24 range I would be all for him.

The OLB class is real deep as you said and a potential starter could be had even in the 3rd (Justin Houston in the 3rd was a steal for KC, not far fetched to say we can get a starter there). So assuming we go RB in round 1 in your scenario, we should be able to get a very good OLB prospect in the 2nd/3rd.

I 100% agree that we need to get our future RB in this draft. If we are talking RBs after Lattimore and in the 2nd to 3rd range, I really like Leveon Bell as a fit for this team. He's the size of a linebacker (6'2 245) and has the nimble feet of a RB. He would be perfect for a ground and pound team. He's everything Greene is not- can break off long runs, doesnt get arm tackled, can catch, can block, has ability to make people miss (spin, juke or he can channel his inner Legarrette Blount), and he has good vision. Im not sure what his draft stock is right now or where it will be come draft day, but if we havent addressed RB by round 2, he is someone I would love.

Other RB's in the 2nd to 3rd round range are Stepfan Taylor (as I see is a WW favorite) and Randle Joseph that would be very good options.

Its really early obviously and hard to tell what direction this team will be heading towards after this season, but I think it is very clear RB is a top need. No more of this "we can find RB's in the later rounds" because we havent and simply cant. We need to find our stud at the RB position in order for this offense to resemble an offense.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Eh, not high on Ball. Too many carries coming out of college.

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

JTJ,

Like you I love Marcus, to me its him or Geno Smith in the 1st round.....

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

As a side note- a blocking TE is a need still and Phillip Lutzenkirchen from Auburn can block extremely well and catch the ball. He would be a nice target in the middle rounds.

10. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

There are two ways to look at this situation

Simply put the Jets need a linebacker. No clue what is happening with DeMario Davis but even if Davis is polished in a year or two our outside linebackers are giant boulders who are horrendous in space.

I want Jarvis Jones, likely a dream

We also need a running back because the current set of backs we have now just does not cut it. With the exception of Powell I dont like any of the backs on our team.

You can also probably throw tackle, guard and safety in that pile of needs as well

The other scenario would involve the Jets blowing up the FO and coaching staff in which case we will likely be getting a new QB and all the other needs become minor in comparison

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Jawan Jamison said he may leave early and declare for this draft... Would love him on this team.

12. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Any qb's draftable for us? Like, if there's a can't miss guy there around, let's say, the 10-15 spot? Do we bite the bullet if this season continues this way?

13. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

Honestly, if the Jets can get in the 9-14 range they need to trade up for Mante te'o. You don't draft RBs in the 1st round, plenty of talent there in the later ones. Lattimore is also projected to go 19th now while Te'o is going 8th. The only other pick I'd be okay with is Geno Smith, but it's tough to tell with QBs, I'd need to see how he does against tougher competition until I can fully endorse him.

#13 JustaJetFan, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Te'o should be available 9-14, no trade necessary.

15. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

I don't know, I just checked ESPN and the most recent one has him at 6, while Geno is at 14, and Lattimore is at 21.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its the first week of October, a LOT is going to change between now and April. Teams dont value MLBs as much as they do QBs, WRs, DE's ect... TeO will probably go in that 10-18 range. IMO, trading back for TeO might be more likely than trading up for him.

Also, the only position we should be trading up for is QB. We have WAY too many holes to be trading up for a MLB, no matter how good he is... We need depth and if anything should trade back if the opportunity is right.

17. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

You're right, a lot will change. Geno Smith may not finish the season well, Lattimore might not have a standout season, or they might have great seasons. It's really hard to predict what will happen, so I'm just going off what we know now.

Although teams value those positions much more, Te'o seems like one of those great LB's that can really anchor a defense and can cover, which definitely can help against all of these athletic and fast TE's being used now. Also, its not like Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, and David Harris are getting any younger.

When it comes to drafting a QB, Geno Smith can be risky. QB's can be risky and I don't know if the Jets should go for one in the first round if they can get a stud LB like Te'o. I do agree though that depth is important, and the Jets can use more than just a LB and a QB. If Sanchez keeps looking this bad, though, the Jets might be forced to take Smith.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Take it with a grain of salt.

MLBs generally just don't get drafted in the top 5.

Trust me, I'm one of the biggest Te'o fans and he is going to be a heck of a NFL football player, just not a top 5/6 draft pick.

Again, right now, I see him around #10 range at best.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Guys, I've been saying for months....Stepfan Taylor should be a Jet next April.

Another great performance for the Cardinal.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

I like Taylor a lot. He has very good vision, an can break some tackles. He has decent speed and can get to the edge.

I think if Gio Bernard and Jawan Jamison declare, this RB class will be VERY deep. Two of our biggest needs at RB and OLB could potentially be 2 of the more deeper positions in the class.

The two I named above are becoming two of my personal favorites. Compact runners with great feet, agility, power and speed. They will definitely draw comparisons to Ray Rice and MJD. Also, Leveon Bell is a big back that I think would be a perfect fit here (as I stated above). I would take anyone of these guys on our team next year and be very happy.