2013 jets vs 2012 Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets3399, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Jets3399

Jets3399 Member

2012 jets 6-10
    2013 Jets tbd

Coaching staff - in the NFL it all starts with the coaches and the schemes. I believe much improved over 2012.

- Rex back to focusing primarily on the defense and I anticipate more quarterback pressures and forced turnovers.

- We can all agree that the coaching on the offensive side of the ball will be much improved with Marty running things. Sporano was a disaster.

D - line - addition of Sheldon Richardson and continued maturation of Wilkerson on the outside should be a strength of our team. Health is the key here as there is not much depth with guys that can get after the QB.

LB - have gotten rid of guys that were old and slow like Scott and Thomas and replaced with younger and faster athletes in Davis and Coples in the starting role. Antwan Barnes is solid depth to fill in for Coples while injured. I see Calvin Pace making more of an impact this year after shedding 15 pounds and will be better in coverage. The question mark here to me is Harris. Will he be the same player he was last year or go back to being that side line to sideline type player that earned him the big contract?

Corner - the media likes to point out that we have lost Revis, but us Jets fans know we played all of last year without Revis anyways. I see the addition of Millener compared to a backfield without Revis as much improved on paper. The challenge will be expecting Cro to have another dominant year like he did last year. That is unlikely but he will still be very good.

Safety- I believe the one position where we have clearly have taken a step backwards. Laron Landry exceeded expectations last year and we will need someone to step up and do the same this year. Safety is clearly an important position in Rex Defense so this is a big question mark.

Overall I believe our defense will be about equal to where it was last year in yardage allowed. I anticipate us putting more pressure on QB with Rex calling the plays and more turnovers and points scored on defense. This defense will not be designed to stop every 3rd down but should be very opportunistic aggressive style of play that creates points.

QB - quarterback play can only get better in comparison to last year regardless of who takes the snaps. The difference here will be Marty over Sporano.

O-line - about even to last year. I see Colon for Moore at about a wash. Based on performance of Moore last year should be an improvement. Any injury to mangold or Brick would be devastating as there is no good option to plug in there. We attempted to improve depth later in draft but I have not been impressed with performance. Bottom line - stay healthy here we have a good line. Couple injuries and its going to be a long season.

Rb- clearly improved as shone Greene had no burst in his step last year. Ivory, Powell, Goodson, green is a solid backfield. We have yet to see what Goodson can do, but we do need a guy of his skill set to catch the ball out of backfield and make plays for this offense to tick.

TE - everyone points to the loss of Keller, but he did not play most of last year. Curious to see what we get out of Winslow. Cumberland is an adequate player but nothing special. All in all I would say this position is equal to last year.

Wideout - Kerley, Holmes and a much improved Hill be an improvement over Schillenz and Kerley. Our wideout play was awful last year. On paper, we still don't look that much improved, but I have to think a better offensive scheme will help guys to get open and make more plays than last year. We have already seen that in preseason.

Everyone points to all of the starters we have lost on defense, and departure of Revis as to why we will suck this year. When you break it down position by position we don't look too bad though. What it comes down to in this league is CAN YOU STAY HEALTHY. If this team can stay healthy... I like our chances.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yes, a thread that was started with thought behind it.

That is a breath of fresh air, no joke. There are so many people that get wrapped up in the media bullshit, harp on the past, or doesn't bother to consider these kind of aspects to why we will be much more improved this year.

I agree with everything to a point.

I have said this in a couple of other threads but I'm predicting that by the end of the year, MM and David Lee WILL be the best off-season moves for the Jets this year.

I think that you have to include David Lee into the improvement aspect of things as well because he does have such a highly touted resume that you can't ignore.

The offensive line I think will ultimately be better than last year, I liked what I have seen from Vlad, so I hope that he has finally developed into a quality starter. If he has we should be in very good shape along the line. Our depth is really thin though, agreed.

Overall I agree with you. The offensive scheme I think is going to be the most impressive to me this season. It was great to actually see our WR's consistently get open all throughout preseason. That is already a huge improvement from last year up to this point.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this but I don't think our Rbs are "clearly" better than last year. I have seen next to nothing from Ivory, and Goodson has been in rehab. Losing Greene and McKnight doesn't hurt us much, but I'm not hyped about our run game.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I don't see how we are worse than last yr anywhere other than at Safety. I'm expecting 7-9/8-8. We got 6 wins with the worst offense in football last yr.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

did we improve at LB? maybe, its more different then improved in my mind, and whats relevant is, is thats it is still a horrific unit and one of the 5 worst in football.

ditto with running back. are better? maybe? is it still a bottom 5 unit with no playmakers? yes. its going to be a giant weakness for a team is going to need to run and get receiving from their backs to have any success

is qb going to be better? maybe. can it be worse then last year? maybe not. bottom line, bottom 3 unit that is sure to get horrific qb play.

we just dont do anything well. everything you said is true, but in the end we dont run well, dont block well, dont pass well, dont have playmakers, our special teams is coming off a terrible year, we lost our best pass rusher for a few weeks and our linebackers stink.

5-6 wins seems like our ceiling

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

^Considering everyone was bitching about how slow and old the LB corps was last yr, the subtraction of BT and Scott and infusion of Coples/McIntyre/Davis should be an improvement in and of itself, no? Rex was saying there is enough speed in the base defense to keep them on the field against 3 WR sets.

Obviously in preseason we've had problems setting the edge. We'll see about that.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nice post and I agree with a lot of what you said especially with improvements at RB and WR. One place I disagree is OL. Our line graded out last year as the 4th best OL in the league and Moore graded out as the 4th best guard in the NFL. Colon may help with the running game but will not be good as Moore and likely not near as durable. Slauson is better than Ducasse or Winters and i still cannot understand the logic why we could not match the minimum contract he got. Although I bet Howard shows improvement. We should still have a good line just not as good as last year.

WR area we could have big improvement especially if Hill and Gates mature. Last year Kerley was our best wideout and this year he could be our 4th best. With an emphasis on short passing, proceeding Geno and allowing him or progress slowly we may see the progress directly reflected in numbers. The potential of receiver group is very high. I know people are down on Holmes but I think people give him to much of a hard time. He voluntarily took a huge paycut out of his guaranteed money this year when he could have just taken the money. Last year year he was of to a great start before the injury especially considering Sancgez missed him on 3 easy wide open TD passes. Despite that he had great production those first 4 games. While everyone thinks he has gone next year he could be back if Rex comes back. He also compliments the skills of Hill very well.

RB I really can't wait to see what we have in Goodson. Sort passes to RBs will be a huge part of this offense and Goodson could be very productive. Although given his offseason its hard to be optimistic. Hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder with something to prove when he returns.

What scares me the most is 6 new starters on defense.

I am excited to see the development of a new high draft pick QB. I recall watching Todd, O'Brien, Pennington and Sanchez all develop as young QBs. There is always so much optimism with a new QB. Even if we struggle for wins thsi year it will be worth watching Geno develop.

8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything other than the importance you place on the safety position. Last year was the first in Rex's tenure in which we had pro bowl caliber safeties. Every other year we've had below average to average safety play. Rex likes his safeties up at the line and playing in run support. We have three guys who do that well in Jaiquawn Jarret, Antonio Allen, and Dawan Landry. If they can be serviceable in pass coverage, I don't think we'll have a problem. Josh Bush is a wild card. I like his pass coverage skills.

Linebacker play will probably be a wash, but it definitely has potential once Coples gets back.

9. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

If a healthy Sanchez was our QB to start the season, we'd be better than last year!

10. Jets3399

Jets3399 Member

I would also prefer to see Sanchez in there. I am also not sold on the fact that you can't start the season with Geno and bring Mark back when healthy. The media forgets that the Jets passed on Geno not once, but twice. If they believed he was the future they would have picked him in first round. Getting him in the second was good value, and an opportunity to groom a good young QB. I have to believe that both Idzik mad Ryan need to put the best QB on the team on the field to get the rest of the players to give it 100 percent every Sunday. Until Geno shows otherwise, that player is Sanchez

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This doesn't mean anything. The need for QB was not nearly as needed I'm this years draft by teams then past years.

The Jets had a draft board with other players ranked higher than Geno. That doesn't mean Geno will be bad though. The coaching staff are all endorsing the kid at this point and both MM and David Lee feel Geno gives us the best chance to win.

That's good enough for me.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The 2010-2011 Jets would blow out the 2013 Jets it's amazing how far this team fell over the years

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I still think we go 9-7 ,my biggest concern is The Safteys.Another key to this season is splitting with the Pats they have won 4 straight against us and Rexs first two years we split the series with them. We almost beat em last year in Ot and I expect us to put a W over them atleast once

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

There is a huge difference in passing efficiency from last year to now. They are moving the ball pretty well. Last preseason passing offense was ranked dead last. This year, #2. I think the offense will be middle of the pack at worst this year.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we are better across the board IF healthy but will the sched be as weak? the sched was pretty easy last year and we couldn't take advantage.

16. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

End of last year all you read about was the old slow jets defensive starters...those players are gone and replaced with young high upside guys.

The offense was so lost with Sporano and Tebow last year it wasn't even funny. Marty as the OC has already shown in pre-season that he will involve the running back in the passing game and his patterns allow for guys to get open and take advantage of matchups.

Will this team be amazing - no - but they will surprise a lot of people.

17. GangGreenFan1984

GangGreenFan1984 New Member

Well thought out post. I agree with most of it honestly, but I don't think we are really worse off then last year. We really need to see some things from Gino opening day, so here's to hoping for a great start.