2007 Potential Free Agent - Patrick Kerney

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Falcons owner Arthur Blank says his team is in discussions with free agent DE Patrick Kerney but has no new developments to report.

The Jets have been mentioned as possibly having interest in Kerney if he makes it to March 2 unsigned, although their defense seems an illogical fit. Kerney himself has expressed a desire to remain in Atlanta.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2007/02/03/sptblank0203.html

The Falcons have expressed a desire to improve their offensive line.

Blank also said the team remains in discussions to re-sign free-agent defensive end Patrick Kerney, but there are no new developments.

"I know that [general manager] Rich McKay has talked to Kerney's agent," Blank said. "We'd love to see that happen, and we're going try to make that happen. Nothing is automatic. He'd like to stay, and we'd like to have him here."

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Man the thought of having Ellis, Thomas, and Kerney is just ...wow. Take a DT in the draft, hopefully get Turner...get some depth...we're really not that far away from an amazing team.

3. Long & Winding Rhode

Unless they plan on making Kerney an OLB, I don't see him on this team.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He is light for a 3-4 DE. At 30 you have to wonder if he could add the 15 to 20 pounds he'd need to play there and still be effective.

The other thing is that speed rushing DE's are not what you're looking for in a 3-4. You want guys who are sturdy pegs in the three man front and that require double-teams to neutralize on run downs. That's what frees up the linebackers to make plays.

5. NCMARINE1969

NCMARINE1969 New Member

I Talked to Patrick Kerney

Hey Jet Fans,
    Quick rundown on me , Jet fan for 22 years. I have been reading and following the GangGreen website since 01.

I am in the USMC for the last 17 years. Anyways, I saw Patrick Kerney in Afghanistan when I was deployed ( one of those USO tours) and he talked about how he was so excited about Jon Abraham and how the Jets stink. I told him not to trust Abe and that the Jets will do good in 06. He just kind of smiled and then thanked me for my service in the Marine Corps.

Bottom line...I dont want him. He laughed at me being a Jet fan, even in Afghanistan I was getting junk about the Jets.

Thought I share that story. I will post more. God bless the Corps and the Jets

6. NCMARINE1969

NCMARINE1969 New Member

Sorry, 25 years as a Jet fan

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Perahps you know his year under Wade Phillips? I know Wade ran a 3-4 in Atlanta, and one year it did very well...Do you know if Kerney did well at all in Wade's scheme?

Maybe he did good there? I'd pass just because I see him as solely a 4-3 DE.

8. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

if we get Kerney, we should draft/sign/do something, to get a Massive DE, and Motion around D-Rob, Thomas, Ellis, and Kerney on the D-line

9. Based on Kearny's size...I dont see him as a good fit.

10. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

party-poop'er

11. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Would they intend to play him in the DE in the 3-4? It seems he's more of a 4-3 DE but if he did well in Wade Phillips 3-4 system then I could see him doing well for us. I have trust that our front office will make the right decision.

12. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

pOsT wHoRe

13. FreemanMcNeil24

FreemanMcNeil24 New Member

i'd be happy with kerney....of coarse....but atlanta will keep him i think

14. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I live in Atlanta and TRUST ME.........Kerney ain't goin anywhere

15. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

would anyone else find it wierd that we give them abraham and take kerney?

16. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

and by the way redneckjet, congrats on living in ATL but you still know just as little as everyone else

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

so what day does free agency officially start at?

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

FA starts on March 2nd

Here is the full NFL Offseason schedule

February 12: Waiver system begins for 2007. Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons whom clubs desire to terminate are not subject to the waiver system until after the trading deadline in October.

February 21: NFL Combine Timing and Testing Sessions at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, IN

February 22: Deadline for designation of Franchise/Transition players.
    MARCH

March 1: Deadline for club to exercise options for 2007 on all players who have option clauses in their 2006 contracts. Expiration date of all player contracts due to expire after 2006 season. Deadline for clubs to submit Qualifying Offers to Restricted Free Agents whose contracts are expiring. Deadline for clubs to submit minimum salary offers to Exclusive Rights Free Agents (players with less than three years of free agency credit).

March 2: Free Agency period begins. Trading period begins for 2007

March 19: Clubs may begin voluntary off-season workout programs

March 25: NFL Owners Meeting at Arizona Biltmore, Phoenix, AZ

APRIL

April 20: Deadline for signing and submission of Offer Sheets by Restricted Free Agents

April 27: Deadline for Old Clubs to match Offer Sheets submitted by Restricted Free Agents

April 28-29: NFL Draft in New York City, NY

JUNE

June 1: Deadline for old club to send tender to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents or to extend Qualifying Offer, whichever is greater, in order to retain rights. Also, deadline for old club to send tender to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents to retain rights if player is not signed by another club by July 22 or beginning of veteran training camp, whichever is earlier.

June 15: Deadline for Restricted Free Agent to accept Qualifying Offer (if higher than 110% of previous year?s salary).

June 24: NFL/NFLPA Rookie Symposium ? PGA National Resort and Spa, Palm Beach Gardens, FL

JULY

July 14: Any club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4 pm EDT to sign the player to a multi-year contract or extension. After July 14 the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the club?s last regular season game.

Mid-July: Training Camps open. Veteran players cannot be required to report earlier than 15 days prior to club?s first pre-season game or July 15, whichever is later. The July 15 date is not applicable to clubs playing five pre-season games.

July 22: Signing period ends at 4:00 pm EDT for Unrestricted Free Agents to whom June 1 tender was made by old club and for Transition Players and Franchise Players who are Subject to the rules for Transition Players and Franchise Players.