2006 NFL Draft-Kellen Clemens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning-10, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

Lets not forget that Kellen was he 4th QB taken behind:

Vince Young
    Matt Lienart
    Jay Culter
    Kellen Clemens

So can we please give the kid more than 6-7 games started (behind a horrible line) before we give up the the 2008 draft to move up and get Matt Ryan?

My day will be absolutely ruined if we get Ryan.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Many great QBs started their careers slowly, even worse than Kellen. It would be silly to give up on him now.

3. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

The great Peyton Manning was what, 2-14 his rookie year? With a 71% QB rating...let's all not jump off ship too soon. It'd be a waste of a early pick.

4. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

I agree completely, give Clemens another year. I can't see Mangini giving up on one of his draft picks so early on in his career.

5. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I disagree completely.

6. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

Okay...great reply

7. msldythNYJ

msldythNYJ Member

i don't understand how anyone could argue otherwise? not only would it just be flat out silly to give up on KC now, it's just not logical. that doesn't happen. i will be extremely surprised if it does.

the more i think about it, i really don't think Ryan will be the pick.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

While I have to agree that it seems ridiculous to give up on KC so soon, the coaching staff know much more than we do about how good he is. They've seen him in practice day after day and studied the film and actually been around the guy for two years, so if they don't like what they've seen they may well look elsewhere and that may be Ryan.

I'm not saying this is what I think will happen, I just mean that it could.

9. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Bingo. If they have the slightest bit of doubt, a Ryan choice would make sense. As has already been said ad nauseum if Clemens does actually work out we can get value in a trade for either him or Ryan and it's all good. That would be the better scenario compared to not choosing Ryan and then Clemens not panning out, leaving us with a hole in the most important position on the offense.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Just because he was taken behind 3 starting QBs makes him good? Who told you that?

How about a young kid coming in just in case it blows up in our face worse than last year. Say Clemens does shit terrible and then what? Chad back in? For 4 more losses? Than what? Tui comes in to save the day? No, you need one more guy, Tui wasn't even re-signed- i almost forgot that.

Ryan is a strong possibility- i he is there at 6, or if we are to trade up to get him, than we get him and we have a bonified starter- no questions asked. I saw an interview he did with desmond howard and the kid is just so comfortable and smooth, its like he's been doing it for 6 years already. I don't see that in many QBs today, how they don't just give the typical "QB" answers to questions. He has that "it" coaches look for, they all say he does anyway.

Ryan at 6 may happen, just like Gholston/Long/DMC may happen-- just understand that we are getting a talented kid no matter what. Smile and enjoy the flexibility of our options.

11. Bosko

Bosko Guest

I am okay with Kellen Clemens, like you say, sometimes it takes a while to develop a QB. Didn't he win more games than Pennington? Isn't football about winning games?

What man (or woman) out there predicted that Eli Manning would lead the Jints to a Super Bowl win over the Patriots before the playoffs started? I remember when Elway struggled, Peyton struggled, Eli struggled, etc. etc. On the other hand, I would be OK if the Jets drafted Ryan (assuming McFadden is off the board--he'd be the best fit for the Jets)...

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

To me if Gholston or Long (long shot) is on the boards you have to take em. To beat the Patriots in this division you have to be able to pressure the QB, if you can't do that they are going to skin you alive. Defense has to be the choice.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If they draft Ryan, Clemens is through. Learn to live with it. The same can be said if they take a QB with their second pick. He will probably become a career backup for some team other than the Jets.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I mostly agree to some extent.

15. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

It would be silly to give up Clemens already. But if Ryan is sitting there and the Jets are unsure about Clemens and think highly about Ryan, worst situation we have Brees/Rivers situation.

16. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Here's the paradox: if the front office/coaching staff has made a determination that KC can't cut it as an NFL quarterback, then who's to say their opinion that Matt Ryan can cut it is worth anything? They obviously thought KC could play two years ago, or they wouldn't have drafted him (even trading up to do so).

I also think the investment in the O-line this offseason was an acknowledgement that last year's protection was crap, which is one of the factors in determining quarterback play.

All of that said, I don't think they will draft Matt Ryan -- I think it's a smokescreen to drive the value of the #6 pick. I think they will trade down before picking Matt Ryan personally.

17. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

Unless Pennington beats him out in TC of course...

18. JetsLookingforDWare

I am so fucking sick of hearing how Matt Ryan has "it."

"It" is a buzz word fans like to use.

Not saying I don't like Matt Ryan, but I don't think any QB in recent memory has had "he has the almighty "IT" factor" said about themselves more.

"IT" is simply QB/football intelligence for the position, something Ryan (and all legit first round QBs) have.

I wonder if people would be talking about the his dominating "IT" if there was no such thing as Sportcenter/ESPN and Youtube, and that ONE THROW against VT couldn't be linked everywhere. According to the Matt Ryan Legend, Boston College has no players on offense worth talking about, and Ryan and Ryan alone is the reason they won games. Thats all it takes, a QB with "IT."

Fuck "it."

19. xVILMA51x

xVILMA51x New Member

Not to mention that before Clemen's leg injury in his senior season, he was guaranteed 1st round pick. Chris Mortensen said after the draft that he thinks Clemens could end being the best QB in this draft class. We know how much this board loves hype!!

20. JetsLookingforDWare

But as a QB making his first 8 starts behind a terrible O-line, a meh running game, with his best 2 receivers playing hurt he only led us to a 4-4 record dude.

You have to understand that great QBs are simply born. Rarely do you see a QB improve his performance as the team around him improves. Really in the end the QBs doing all the work and unfairly has to share all the glory.

Clemens almost too clearly showed he couldn't handle the load of being a TRUE NFL QB. He's not a WINNER, and he CERTAINLY doesn't have the almighty "IT" factor. Who wants a QB without "IT?"

#20 JetsLookingforDWare, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008