23 years ago...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

July 29th, 2000 is the day when I launched TheGangGreen.com :) Anyone remember Al Groh? Yup, he was head coach back then. Honestly, I never expected this website to still be around 20 years and 5 head coaches later but here we are... I wanted to say thank you to all of you, especially those who have been here for so many years.
    @Cman65, thank you for sticking around. You're pretty much the only one of the old admin/mod guard who's still around. Thank you!
    Thanks to all the other former and present admins/mods. I know how much it sucks dealing with all this message board nonsense and petty fights but you've been great. Thank you!
    It's been a fun and sometimes bumpy ride. We've had feuds with certain other Jets websites. We've had member rebellions and mass exoduses. We've had former disgruntled members launch their own Jets message boards and try to poach people away. But... we're still around :)
    So, here's to another 20 years!!! :)

Thanks, everyone!

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS!! JETS!!!

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Thanks Petro.... I found this site searching for "New York Jets news updates" in 2001. :)

But you've caused me to waste ALOT of time since then ;)

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wow that makes me feel old. I think I signed up in 2002 with a Santana Moss user name, then he exploded, then we traded him and that started my long lasting tradition of having to change user names. I think this is my 4th on this account alone (I had to make a new account at one point). Either way, I hate and love all you guys. You've certainly made being a diehard Jets fan easier and harder. You are all great and awful.

stinkyB, Royal Tee, ouchy and 4 others like this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Crazy how long this forum has been going. Crazy to also think I joined 9 years ago next month!

It has been a hell of a ride. I found this forum looking for somewhere to discuss the Jets after the amazing 2009 and 2010 seasons. Living in Miami, there is not many places to enjoy conversation with other Jets fans.

Now that I think about it, maybe I am the jinx!! :(

Brook! likes this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'm a relatively new member, two years I think. Been reading on here much longer. Will you recount some of the conflicts with other Jets sites? Some the rebellions and mass exoduses? Tell me of the triumphs and the defeats. @Petrozza

Brook! likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its been my honor and privilege Pete. Where does the time go? Remember the old NYDN message board? If folks think this place gets savage, they have no idea what savage really is on a message board! The old NYDN message board was Sparta.

Its been a great run but I won't be around another 20 years though!!! :)

#6 Cman68, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    SOJAZ, JetsKickAss, joe and 5 others like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Congrats! Let's hope the next 20 years feature at least one Super Bowl win for our team.

8. stinkyB

A bunch of dorks "Died in a fire"

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I can hardly believe I've been here 15 years. It's the first place I come to for my Jets news. I look at the linked articles, then look at the threads to see what everyone on here is making of the latest developments.

There are some really great people on here, and WHEN the Jets finally get their act together, it will be a sweet day for everyone who kept the faith.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Congrats TGG and thanks for all of the work you guys have done on the upper management side. Awesome stuff.

Brook!, The Dark Knight and Petrozza like this.
  11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Congrats to TGG. Nate Kaeding was the reason I first found this place (looking to share my joy vicariously with others). Doug Brien was the reason I came back a week later (looking to share my grief and rage vicariously with others), which shows you how bad things can sometimes lead to good unintended consequences. I joined up 5 months later, and have been around since (other than a yearlong hiatus during the reign of terror of some former members a few years ago).

The fact that the team hasn't made a Super Bowl appearance in the 20 seasons since the site started makes me sad, though.

12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a history lesson. No joke btw.

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We haven't made the Super Bowl since the internet was invented let alone since the site was started.

Chutzpah, alleycat9, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

True, which only makes me sadder.

By one reckoning the Jets only missed it by one Super Bowl, since the first host-to-host connection over ARPANET (between UCLA and Stanford) occurred on October 29, 1969, a mere 290 days after Super Bowl III.

Chutzpah and Brook! like this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think I started reading here about 2005 or 2006 and then picked a username befitting of a lurker with no intention to post. It’s been downhill ever since.

Happy Birthday TGG. You are old enough to drink in my country anyway.

egelband, Brook! and Petrozza like this.
  16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’ve been here for 9 years now, I’m pretty sure it was the heart of the 2011 lockout when I became a member. I’m grateful for this place, all you need to do is take a 5 second look at Jets Facebook groups or twitter to appreciate a place that’s as civil as this board.

Brook! and Petrozza like this.
  17. stinkyB

I gave a very brief synopsis.... someone else would be more equipped for the lesson. I wasnt on here as much during that period (Im back working on a computer all day again)

Brook! likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Lets just say it was not something we look back on with fond memories.... No history lesson forthcoming.

Brook! and Petrozza like this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie. I joined on the day the Jets drafted Brick so I could rag on his ridiculous first name.

Yeah, I know. What an asshole.

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I remember slacking off in the computer lab in high school, surfing TGG every day. Those were great times.

I've seen plenty of both good, and bad members come, and go. But this place has always been around, and a fun place to have conversation.

Cheers!