18% Believe we'll make the playoffs?? It's too early for that.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Chadwick747, Sep 11, 2006.

?

What's your new expectations of the Jets after Week 1?

1. > 12 Wins

3.4%
  2. 11 - 10 Wins

5.6%
  3. 9 - 7 Wins

59.6%
  4. 6 - 5 Wins

29.2%
  5. < 4 Wins

2.2%
  1. Chadwick747

Chadwick747 New Member

Like most of you, I was shocked during yesterday's game. I predicted a close Jets' loss for a while now, but this team was very impressive (with the exception of Nugent) albeit against a very bad Titans squad.

It's because of who they played against yesterday is the primary reason as why I'm not getting excited yet. A lot of things went well yesterday, Pennington made me remember why I looked foward to every game in 2002, the defense held their ground and made game-changing plays, WR looks to be our deepest position. Despite all this, there should be very little reason for anyone to start building the Jets Postseason Bandwagon just yet.

I checked Newsday.com and saw this poll...

How far will the Jets go in 2006?
    Playoffs - 18%
    Just miss playoffs - 20%
    8 Wins - 20%
    5-6 Wins - 21%
    < 4 Wins - 19%

It seems we as fans are split, literally, down the middle on this subject. As good as we looked yesterday if anyone thinks we're heading to the playoffs with the way we played yesterday, against the caliber of team we played yesterday I believe is fooling themselves.

I mentioned some of the things we did well, but there were a lot of reasons to be concerned if the playoffs are in your sights. And these things are critical for a winning footbal franchise.

1. We have NO running game to speak of.
    2. Pass protection was suspect.
    3. The kicking game was terrible.
    4. We let a weak offense come back late.

The opposite is true of most winning teams. Running the ball well, clutch special teams and the ability to finish games, I'd argue, is necessary for a winning team. And the fact that we didn't prove yesterday that we can effectively do these things should alarm some people.

Yet, I can hear hammers and saws in garages across NY and NJ building the bandwagons.

Don't get me wrong, this team showed me they can do a lot more things than I thought that could. Unfortunately the expectations were so low for this team, that the positive things we showed yesterday don't catapult us from low expectations to winning the division. It seems we won't win only 4 games like I thought, but there's an outside chance (if we can move the ball and play good defense like we did yesterday) we could hit 8 wins. I'm standing firm at 5-6 wins for now, but based on the good showing yesterday, I now wouldn't be surprised at .500.

But, what do you think? How many of you are thinking playoffs? And give me a few good reasons why you think it might just happen.

2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

16-0 is what I am looking at.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If I had to guess after watching this past week, I'd say we put up a very respectable 7-9 record. The good teams will beat us but I don't see us getting blown out by anyone. The teams like the Titans who are beatable we will beat. I would be predicting better for the Jets but I have NEVER seen a team with a running game as awful as ours make a playoff run. This has to be fixed if the Jets want to go anywhere this season.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

After yesterday, I would hope that 7-8 wins is a possibility.

5. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

One week at a time, its our only hope.

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

we play the titans yesterday.. let see how we play vs the pats before i start predicting playoffs.

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

im going to remain optimistic and say 10 wins this season...with their play yesterday and their easy schedule, its very much a possibility, if not expected if they play well against the pats next week

8. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

i think we can win 10 games(maybe im being a bit of a homer). We got the titans already. I think we get swept by NE this year, i still dont have faith in our D yet. I think we can sweep buffalo. The colts are loss, thats obvious. Im not sure if Jacksonville was THAT impressive last night, or if bledsoe just sucked THAT bad, for now, ill say we lose that one. I think we split with miami, losing in december. Beat detroit and cleveland. Lose to da bears. And then i think we win 4 in row(houston, greenbay, buffalo, and minnesota). and we beat oakland at the end of the season

9. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I don't think we can say we have no running game. We can say that Blaylock is not the answer. But let's see what Houston and Washington can do and increase Barlow's reps.

10. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Not if Nugent does not get his act together.

11. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that the Titans are a very bad team. However, with the way Chad played and the poise this team showed late, I'd probably revise my prediction from 4-5 wins before the year to 6 or 7 now

12. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

what do you think if he does?

13. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

My expectations havent changed, 6 wins is all. We playede the Titans who are looking at another top 5 pick this year. After next week we might see, at least our division isnt too strong this year.

14. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I said the best we could pull off this year was a 9-7 record. We keep playing like this and get our RB possition under control I believe we can more than ever.

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Somewhere around 7 to 9 wins is where my expectation still is. But, clearly we are on the right path.

We could over achieve, but I am trying to remain realistic. This week will be a real test of where we are at.

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Realisticly, 9-7 wins. They actually can go 9-7, make the playoffs, and I'd be very happy.

17. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Looking at our schedule I think that we will get somewhere between 6 and 9 wins. I'm going to vote optimistically, but this team still has a lot of questions around it.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

it's a nice win, but we had to beat the Titans if we wanted 6 wins. I still expect 5 or 6 wins.

19. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

13-3 in 06

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

What happened to 16-0?