15th Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KingRoach, Apr 10, 2023.

?

If the top OTs are gone and no one wants to trade up?

1. Harrison (or your 4th rated OT)

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Kancey/Breece

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Mazi Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bijan

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. JMS

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. Brian Branch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We’ve all know a pick swap with GB was an option but historically, 3 OTs are off the board by Pick 15.

So let’s say a nightmare scenario comes up and the top 3 OTs are off the board and no one wants to trade up.

Which of these bad options works for you?

Your 4th best OT (probably Harrison)

A DT who isn’t built to be the run stuffer we’re missing (Kancey or Breece)

A “reach” to a run stuffing DT (Smith)

The biggest playmaker in the draft (RB is an immediate need but is an undervalued position)

The best C in the draft (deep class and undervalued position)

The best S/Slot corner (undervalued and under needed in the current scheme)

Maybe I missed someone…. Lmk

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trade down and take OT #4 or #5 in the 20's. We get a tackle and we get another quality prospect in the 2nd or 3rd depending on where we trade down too.

The NFL is a numbers game over time.

amuck57 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. KingRoach

Not an option

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Isn't this just another "draft Bijan" thread?

5. KingRoach

Nah, it’s a what do you do if the top 3 OTs are off the board and no one wants to trade up thread.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I want to trade down as I think there is a ton of value in round two but if we are dead set on taking an OT in round one I would prefer to move up to # 10 than to reach for the fourth best guy at # 15.

Wherever we do pick we need to take the BAP and the fourth best tackle is not going to be that guy at # 15.

7. KingRoach

Since trade down isn’t an option in this scenario and you don’t like OT #4, who do you like?

*I did like the trade up option at one point but with a pick swap allegedly on the table, I don’t see that as a realistic option.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If no Trade Down, take the best Center available or the OT Harrison and don't trade down!

This year I am thinking a really quality lineman taken early ...I would be all in for that. So, if top guys are still available grab one

TBH It may or may not be a "nightmare" scenario because many GMs really value OL Developmnent as an integral part of the Offense.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

How do you feel about the Tackle from Tennessee? He neutrilized Will Anderson the whole game.....

KingRoach likes this.
  10. Br4d

There are at least 6 OT in this draft that I'd be fine with on the 24.

Skoronski, Johnson, B. Jones, Harrison, D. Jones and Wright.

Maybe Skoronski is a tad above the rest but not a 2nd round pick above them. If we could get the 24 and the 56 for the 13 I would be all over that.

11. KingRoach

We pick 13(maybe 15). Literally the only caveat in the thread is if no one wants to trade up aka we can’t trade back….

12. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I have actually thought about this and you would have to have some groundwork done in advance . None of the big three OTs available, assuming the Jets view Skoronski as a OT. I pick up the phone and call the one guy who I think would trade up......Guntekunst. Now hear me out. Adding the salaries we have, we need some cheaper draft picks/players to fill out the roster. Once you are beyond round 3 it is hard to project a draftee as a starter. So in 2023, #13, C. Davis to the Packers for Rodgers and #45. Via the old trade chart(don't know which one Douglas uses) the point difference in picks equals pick #26. Guntekunst can crow that he got his first rounder while Douglas quietly maintains his total picks in starter range. Because GB has gotten their first rounder the 24 compensation is also decreased and now acceptable to GB cause they got their first. Something more like starting with a 4 becoming a 3 playoffs or 2 for AFC championship and a first now only for SB win. I would even want a return pick in 2024 that is perhaps 2 rounds below what they get (if we go to playoffs and they get a 3 then we get a 5). You can keep the 2025 pick to Jets if Rodgers only plays a year.

So Jets would have 42,43 and 45. Again, the Jets will need as many cheap but hopefully good starters as they can get and the second round may offer a value sweet spot. Primary needs being OT, DT, C, and FS. You could probably fill two of those depending on how free agency goes before the draft and I bet you could also trade back from one of those (45?) Moving back from 45 ten or fifteen spots should get the second and third plus from the other team. I find it interesting that Ben Jones and McGovern are both still available in free agency. Jets have mentioned Jones but I haven't seen McGovern mentioned. Could he be back with price drop? Run plugging DT generally easier to find or cheaper if FA (Woods/Robinson). Anyway Roach, sorry I violated the no trade but think this is one guy who would answer the call. Complex enough that you need to have talked prior but you know they will before the draft.

KingRoach likes this.
  13. Br4d

The idea of trading the #13 pick for a 39 year old guy just nauseates me. Like you can't do anything more Jets-like than that.

If you don't have friends and relatives who root for other teams that you talk to regularly you just don't understand the hyena-laughing that is constantly directed at the Jets at this point.

The way we used to think about teams like the Browns and the Lions is nowhere near as bad as the way the NFL thinks about the Jets right now because we're doing this in the richest market in the world.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  14. KingRoach

It’s kinda sad to think this’ll be the last time we’ll ever draft in the top 15

#14 KingRoach, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    KY Jets Fan and Lon Chaney like this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

In this scenario, I’d draft JSN.

Reuniting GW and JSN with Rodgers under center? That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This kid gotta be a poster on these boards

17. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

If B. Jones is there at 15, I think the Jets select him.

If he and the other (2) top T are gone, then I PREFER to do the following... trade back a few picks to about 20 and obtain more picks obviously and then... select the best Guard... O'Cyrus Torrence. Reports are he's a better guard than any of the picks at Tackle. Doing this, we then move AVT to Tackle and let Torrence take AVT spot at Guard. Reports are Torrence could even play RT if needed, but that's just as a backup option for Jets. If Becton is healthy, Becton is LT and AVT is RT. If Becton goes down, move AVT to LT.

If Mgmt is not high on Torrence and the top 3 Tackles are gone... then trade WAYYYYY back and obtain a plethora of picks in doing so, including a 1 or 2 for next year.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

One last dunk on the Packers

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Would love that.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

My rankings for the 15th pick:

1) Peter Skoronski
    2) Paris Johnson Jr.
    3) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
    4) Broderick Jones

After that, I really try to trade back. Only other person I would consider at 15 is Darnell Wright.

Slight trade down (16-20): Darnell Wright
    Larger trade down (21+): Anton Harrison, Myles Murphy, Lukas Van Ness, Brian Branch.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.