13 Games Down, 3 Games To Go. What Keeps Rex's Job?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 9, 2013.

?

What will it take for Rex to remain Jets Head Coach?

1. (6-10) He is staying no matter what.

33.3%
  2. (7-9)

18.4%
  3. (8-8)

29.9%
  4. (9-7)

7.0%
  5. He will be fired no matter what.

11.4%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets are (6-7) with 3 remaining games.

@ Carolina

vs. Cleveland

@ Miami

The question is simple. What record will it take for Rex to remain the Jets Head Coach in 2014?

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think he keeps his job. It was understood by everyone that this would be a rebuilding year.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Beat Miami at least

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think if they lose out (corresponding to losing 6 of their last 7) he will probably be gone. I also think if they win 2 of the last 3 (corresponding to winning 3 of their last 4 and a .500 record) he will stay. What I'm unsure of is whether 7-9 will be good enough - that could very well depend on how they look in those games. So I'll say 8-8, but wouldn't be surprised if a "good" 7-9 finish will do it too.

5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

If they win to the Browns and have a strong game against Miami. Losing to the Panthers won't have an impact on Rex's longevity, though pulling an upset would certainly help.

Either way, more than just the final 3 games will factor in. I think Rex stays pretty much regardless based on how Woody has been acting in interviews. We'll see, though.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Rex should be fired regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. He has proven that some things are just beyond his understanding and ability, and he will always be a severely limited/flawed HC. I don't think the Jets will ever win anything of significance (vs. Baltimore, Division, AFC Championship, or SB) with him as HC. Assuming Idzik adds some prime offensive talent and fills holes during FA, there's no way I want Rex ruining it with his lack of accountability and cluelessness about offense and having the team ready to play each and every week.

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

He has proven some things are beyond his understanding and ability, yet there's a chance this team finishes with a .500 record with minimal talent across the board. Explain yourself son.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Exactly.

Ha ha, nice.

So many people seem to think that Rex is playing with a SB ready team.
    - We shouldn't even be in the PO picture, but we are.
    - MM first season with us, with no weapons.
    - We have (once again) one of the best Ds in the NFL
    - Rex IS still learning as a HC, sorry but are most new HCs NFL ready?
    - For once this fanbase needs to stick with and support the long term plan, instead of these quick fixes.
    - Idzek's first season with us and Rex , why give this team so little time to work it out?

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

he's already done enough in my opinion.
    I'd like to see a 2 year extension added to his existing contract which already has him signed for next year (3 years total)..

Idzik should focus on finding QB options (and offensive talent), not new coaches.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I agree. This guy is in way over his head. Theres always a different excuse every week for him by some people. The same homers who blew Sanchez the last 4 years despite his atrocious play. I cant see Rex coming back this year if this team goes 6-10 again. Glorified DC, but not so good head coach.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I think he kept his job today and Geno probably kept his. Sticking to my guns I'd rather see the team either win out for the playoffs or lose out for the draft picks. I'm guessing they'll win 1 or 2 more though which is the worst outcome. Despite Oakland's pitiful defensive showing I think it's obviously just a different team with Kerley and Holmes both on the field so that'll probably get them a win or two. The silver lining with 2-3 meaningless wins in these last 4 games (counting today) is Geno showing a sliver of hope for the future, so that's something I guess.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He stays no matter what (sorry darksiders and Rex haters).

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Hes one of the best HCs we've had in recent years and certainly taken us further than most have, and with limited talent.

I would have thought that Jets fans would swear by the "Careful what you wish for..." mantra by now.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

He's gone. 5 years is plenty enough time to either get it or not. He hasn't got it.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure. Whatever happens next week WILL drastically change the general tenor of this thread and this board, beyond all proportion and rationality.

Rex is largely a known quantity at this point, right? One would think. But if we win next week, the board will blow up with Rex love, and if we get hammered, he'll get lynched.

Ah, fandom.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want Idzik's job right now. I'm so on the fence.

17. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Absolutely he has done enough ... He has ZERO talent on the offensive side of the board and yet after 13 weeks has somehow managed 6 wins ... I am all in for at least another 3 yrs ...

18. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

This. He has taken a team that most said would be bottom of the heap to 1 game outside of getting into the playoffs. We have had multiple injuries and our offence simply does not have the tools with scrub receivers playing and the offensive line being hit and miss.

he constantly gives us a defence that can win us games without a potent offenceI. I would love to see what Rex can do with a competent QB and some talent on offence. He had a young Defence that is only going to get better and with a couple more additions can be dominant. We have some Cap space coming up to play with and a draft.

He is the best HC we have had here in a long long time even with some of his deficiencies. Idzik is not stupid. He will stay. We will re-tool. And next year we will come out a much better team.

19. Midlife Crysis

I really want them to keep him and MM in order to avoid a "reboot" and focus on building on this season with some free agent and draft reinforcements for the offense and the secondary.

I suspect that Idzik and Woody recognize this and will keep the coaching staff even if the best they manage is to play competitively while losing the last three.

20. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Question to those that think he should be fired: How do you honestly think the team would have done the past four years under other coaches? Rex has had TREMENDOUS success considering the QB situations under his tenure. He brought with him a top defensive mind and player motivation.

People that want him fired act like we have been 3-13 the past four years. Drives me crazy.