$10 Surcharge for USED EA games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Docny1975, May 11, 2010.

1. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/how-playing-madden-online-could-cost-you-10/1398633
    I think I'm done playing EA games after this. I think I'm gonna get
    Backbreaker instead of Madden this year.

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

That's bullshit. Even worse for 360 users that already dish out 50 a year for LIVE

3. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Eh. I buy Madden and NHL on the day it comes out so as long as I don't have to pay an extra 10 bucks I really don't care.

4. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

really fucking bullshit but i by my sports games new anyway when they come out so thank god its not for that

5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

You cheap motherfuckers...a true hardcore gamer pays whatever it costs to prove his personal legitimacy through online gaming.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it's not bullshit, it is perfectly reasonable. used game sales takes away from new game sales, which is where the developers make their money and what they have to protect.

but the used game consumer won't be adversely affected at all because the price of used games will simply decrease. the only people who will be affected are used game sellers. oh well, that's there problem, there is no logical argument that can be made that game developers should protect them at the expense of their own interests.

7. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Exactly this.

8. ........

........ Trolls

This is exactly what I was going to say.

While the original game content can be sold from person to person, the game company absolutely should be able to charge you for the unique personal experience of your own online play. When you buy the game used, you make no contribution otherwise and then present a continuous drain on resources.

9. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

What the FUCK does that even mean?? God this is fucking bullshit.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Uh, it means that the concavity of the experience is shifting from down to up?

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

These companies make bank regardless of the used game market. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear over a corporation that is already very wealthy, boo hoo, they aren't making even more money then they already are. Fuck them.

The consumer's are already getting the shaft as is, we have to pay out the ass to begin with just to play their product. They get their money, they need to stop crying.

12. ........

........ Trolls

$10 Surcharge for all future EA games

They're not crying. They're charging you to use their servers. What's wrong with that? No one's asking you to feel sorry for them, and if you don't like it, don't buy the game.

You don't "have to" pay anything.

13. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Yup true that.

For me this comes across as tacky on EA's part though. They already started subjecting us to advertisements in-game, which I think is entirely tasteless, but I tolerate it, but now with charging to play online, it's a bit too much for me considering the fact that all they really do is make tweaks and updates to the same game engine that's been being used for the past 10 years, and it's the #1 grossing game perennially.

EA is pretty smart, because there's going to be plenty of people willing to pay the fee. Cough one up for EA being business savvy.

14. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

What will probably end up happening is Game Stop will lower the prices on used games $5-$10. As it is they make 200+% on each used game they sell. They give what, $20 MAX in credit for trades and sell them for $40. Either way they will lose a bit on used games, either through lower prices or decreased sales, and the lower price/higher volume model seems like a better choice.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

We are buying the game to use their servers.. Don't get it twisted. We are paying microsoft to use their service already so that we can play their game online. The consumer is already paying the needed fee's in order to properly play the game that is being used through microsoft's online feature.

I don't feel sorry for them, they are just out to make their wallets bigger, they are not out for the actual gamers. There is a lot wrong with that.

It would be different if they were losing out in the long run because of the used game market, but they are not. They just are not making as much as they possibly can. All it is.

It's bullshit.

16. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

The thing about this that bothers me is, that say I buy the EA Sports game and I do not like it. It is now worth 10 dollars less than it was before.

This is in no way beneficial to the fans.

17. ........

........ Trolls

$10 Surcharge for all future EA games

Are you kidding me? The only way you pay EA to use their servers is if you buy the game new. Guess what? There is no surcharge for new games. So, no, the purchaser of a used game is NOT 'already paying' EA to use the online service.

So you're complaining that a business in a capitalist country is trying to make as much as it possibly can? Got it. Good luck with that. Again, if you don't like it, don't buy the game. That's te only way to register your dissatisfaction. Everything else is just bitching that the company that developed the product gets to use the market to determine 'fair' pricing.

18. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Seeing as how I always buy Madden new on the day it comes out, this doesn't affect me at all. But I can see why people would be pissed.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

they aren't asking you to feel sorry for them, and you are the one that is crying.

and that's the point of business...make as much money as you can. but glad to know you feel you should be able to dictate how much these developers should make and at what profit they should be satisfied.

well, guess what, you have that option. go get a job at EA and work your way up to become the CEO and then you can dictate to that. I warn you, though, if the logic and reasoning you are exhibiting in this thread is the extent of your abilities, you may not make it past the mail room. but with luck you may be the mail room supervisor.

20. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

By the way, this thread title is very misleading. If you buy it new there is no charge.