10-6 Again?? GTFO

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsO12, Jan 3, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, Mac and Bowles are coming back but the illogic of this decision baffles me especially in reference to the HC

The consensus is 2017 will be another down year...

So help me out here ...if I am the Johnsons I let TB and staff sh*t the bed 1 more year so we don't chase away his inevitable replacement????

Its like Groundhog Day with these owners..I struggle to figure out their pretzel logic

Why not just say goodbye to Shoddy Toddy now??

ok ok maybe I am harsh..

Where is the evidence the HC turns this around next season??

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

This is what it feels like to be aboard a sinking ship. Not firing Bowles, big mistake.

More lackluster performance coming 2017. Zero discipline, slow starts, and plenty of locker room disorder ahead.

Mac probably dumps the cash this off season, reaching for falling stars. Cap hell 2018.

Embrace the dark side.

jets_fan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Mac assembled a talented young team and this happened, then fire Bowles by all means. But Mac is just as much the problem. Better to give them both a year to show some promise than fire Bowles and be stuck with a bad GM for the next 2-3 seasons.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The team had issues with chemistry, and player personnel. Bowles and Mac both deserve the blame here. I don't think we need another thread to discuss that. Too premature to fire any head coach or GM in their 2nd year when they showed promise in their first.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think this is being handled correctly. As the Jets are currently constructed, I dont think Mac has earned the right to select his own coach yet.

No point in firing the coach now, retaining the GM, and having him select his own coach. You would be effectively giving Mac at least two more seasons since you need to give the coach at least 2 years as well.

Mac/Bowles/Hackenberg are gonna sink or swim together. If they bomb next season, both will be gone, and the Jets will be looking to start over again.

6. NYJetsO12

Mac has his problems But the play of Anderson Peake Marshall etc all the young WR plus Shell plus some of his FA, Jenkins, Maudlin Petty speak to some promise in the future
    I am inclined to believe the HC can't use the groceries MM buys for Team
    Gun to your head do you think TB will turn into Parcells next year???

jets_fan, BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

I think it's more like Mac and his Hack pick that can sink or swim

Bowles should stand alone and take responsibility the majority of the mess

"Earned the right to pick a Coach lol??" Mac is not a Third Grader Most Gms get to pick their guy ASAP

jets_fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Name 3 things promising that Bowles displayed as a coach last season. You can say record of 10-6 for one. Just keep in mind he only beat 2 teams with a winning record.

There is almost nothing promising about him. He is an idiot and not qualified to be an NFL HC.

JetsVilma28 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

Please tell me where TB showed any promise any years...Details please

Ralebird and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

This isn't about 2017, it's about them embracing a top 10 draft pick this year to fill out the roster via the 2017 draft, suck next year, get another top 10 pick to fill out the roster more in the 2018 draft, sprinkle in some FA's dump toilet Bowles after next year and give the new coach a young but talented team. What Bowles does with his staff is meaningless unless he suddenly up's his football IQ from the current 25 to Mensa level. This is all about distracting the fans to talk about the staff replacements while Mac keeps with the longer term plan to fill out the roster using top 10 draft picks the next few years. The real question isn't if Bowles can improve (we know he can't) it's can Mac get it right? He's sucked with his round 2 picks, good GM's get impact players in rounds 1-3. He better have learned from those 2 mistakes, if not he'll be gone too.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

+1000

Why are the brothers Johnson commited to such Hari Kari ???
    Fans suffer cause of Dumb an Dumber

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

That is a different discussion for a different day. Typically, GM's are allowed to bring in their own guy, because they are at a higher level. That is not the case here. For some reason, they are on the same level. In a more typical situation, I would agree with you, but not with the way the Jets structured their organizational chart.

I dont think Mac has done such a good job that I would be comfortable giving him even more responsibility. If you fire Bowles, and let Mac bring in his own guy, you are guaranteeing both at least 2 years (maybe 3).

Are you comfortable guaranteeing Mac 2-3 more years? I'm not so sure I am.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

OK so this is the season they went 10-6. You play who is on the schedule, so I could really care less about winning teams or whatever.

1. He put the players in the correct situation to succeed namely Pryor. In relation to Rex where he had Coples jam receivers at the LOS or Pryor playing FS.
    2. Kept players accountable last year, the team responded after loses.
    3. Jets generated tons of turnovers and played as a team. The chemistry was there.

Things obviously went South. Mac and Bowles both made big mistakes, I hope they both bounce back next year. I won't judge it on wins completely. I will judge it on effort on the field, execution, and progression in terms of the young players.

I am giving him another season to see what he can do and am not creating a knee jerk reaction. There gave ya 3 things have a nice day =)

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Our young players don't impress me. Every team has young players, and most of theirs are better than ours. We don't know about those players because we follow the Jets, but they're there. As for whether Bowles will turn into Parcells, I doubt it. But I don't think Mac will turn into Ted Thompson either. Better to evaluate them together than commit to one of them over the other.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

To be devil's advocate and I mentioned this on another thread, but reports have come out about coaches around the league thinking the Pelugas are clueless for firing Rex after not even 2 years. We've had our fair share of bad years, but we at least are somewhat still credible of a place to coach for. Firing Bowles after 2 seasons would show that we are no different than the Bills, Browns or some other garbage franchises out there.

16. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

The "long view" would suggest you're on the right track. No one could argue three years is not long enough for an HC to produce results. So here's to another year of mediocrity at best, for even if every break bounces their way, they're still not likely to even approach 8-8.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

All I have to do is look at the regression of the defense to assess Bowles ability to coach. He doesn't have a clue. I am not convinced he holds players accountable. I'm not convinced he knows how to game plan. I don't think he conditions these players well. There is no discipline. Bowles is overall a pretty good follower, but not a very good leader.

We pretty much have a lousy DC fronting as a head coach. "Fitz gives us the best chance to win."

Bowles will be fired after another dismal season in 2017.

Same old Jets

#17 JetsVilma28, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whether I was willing to give Mac 2-3 more years would depend on several things. One, he supposedly "interviewed" Bowles and signed off on his hiring, but did he really want him, or did he just feel compelled to sign off on it because Woody's mind was already made up? Two, was the "competitive rebuild" his idea, Bowles, Woody's or some combination? Three, did he want to bring Fitz back this year or was he forced to by Woody or to keep peace with Bowles? Four, after the KC fiasco and the season quickly going down the tubes, what were Mac's thoughts on the QB situation? Would he have started Petty earlier? Stuck with Fitz?

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wow, these reasons are waaaaaay off.
    1) Bowles also put Pryor in both S spots......as sometimes safeties actually need to cover, and Pryor predictably sucked at both.
    The correct move was to bench Pryor.
    Bowles also put Richardson at OLB and playing run contain, rather than rushing the passer from the interior.
    Rex did a much better job at aligning defensive personnel, and the results show it.

2) Bowles did not hold players accountable, didn't really bench guys with bad attitudes, and the team folded even worse after losses.
    The team flat quit on him.

3) i think we had the worst turnover ratio in football

and if you are judging on execution and effort on the field, you'd want Bowles fired based on that alone.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Johnson reads to much internet tripe..he believes the bullshit that firing people after two years means he can't find anybody else to take the job. The people that won't take the job for that reason are the people you don't want anyway. Hire somebody who has confidence in their ability and isn't worried about what happened to the garbage before them.

There is ABSOLUTELY no other reason why he and Maccagnan weren't fired.

NYJetsO12 likes this.