#1 pick MUST be RB or QB!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Mar 5, 2006.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I have been very supportive and pleased with many of the moves by the new front office so far. I'm a little surprised by the Pennington resigning, because I think he has no arm left (and not much arm to begin with), but a lot of that may be for cap relief. I write today to implore the jets to use their 1st round pick (or one of their first rounders assuming Abe is moved for one) for EITHER a QB or RB. In my opinion, QB Or RB HAS to be where at least one first round pick is used. Sources predict the jets will sign Jon Kitna as a stop gap QB, and the jets have already resigned the ancient warrior Curtis Martin to a reduced contract. Nothing against either of them, but if they play the lion's share of snaps at those postions next year we will not be advancing the youth movement at the 2 most important positions. The jets must get their QB or RB of the future in this draft, and the best place for that is your first round pick. To go with Kitna and Martin in 06, REGARDLESS of the youth upgrades at other positions would be unwise. Start the future now, especially at one of those two CRITICAL positions.

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Draft DeAngelo and deal for Ramsey or sign McCown.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

1. We are keeping Martin for another year
    2. We are keeping Chad for another year
    3. We cut Fabini
    4. We cut Mawae

Looks like a good case for OL in round one.

4. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

^^^^ Exactly

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You may want to prepare yourself for the fact that, regardless of how successful this FO/CS becomes, they will still make decisions that displease you.

Apparently they think Chad has something left, or they would have cut him outright. They wouldn't keep paying him to sit on the roster to avoid a cap hit. We're rebuilding, this is the time to eat cap hits. They aren't going to sign a vet QB and then go QB with a 1st rounder. And they aren't going to forget about Chad Pennington. They still have millions invested in him, and they need some sort of result from that.

On the other hand, I can definitely see them investing a first in a runningback. Our division is heavy on the run, and loaded with superstars at the position. We have to keep up with the Joneses in Curtis's twilight, and this is a perfect opportunity.

6. RobA

Unless we do aquire a second 1st round pick, there is no OL worth the number 4 pick except ferguson who obviously has no use for the jets.

7. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

NO, sign Kitna & draft D'BRick in the 1st round, Mangold in the 2nd round

8. RobA

D'Brick has no use on this team.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If they think D'Brick is the next superstar left tackle, they'll make use of him.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

two words: Mario Williams

11. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

Ask the Texans how starting with skill positions before addressing the o-line works.

12. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Good post.Lots of holes to fill on this team and it looks like plenty of quality picks for us. Mangini is smart and will use these to bolster both sides of the ball. Your assesment of Chad is spot on. We have too much invested in this guy to let him walk away. When Chad plays we win. I hope he comes back stronger than ever.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I hope you're right about Chad. Just want to point out that I LISTENED to the jets/Miami gane last year (game #2) on the radio--the announcers went on and on about how every Pennington pass looked like a wounded duck--I got tired of hearin about it. He has SINCE injured the shoulder again and had ANOTHER Major operation. Hope they get a good read on him early this time.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And the address QB and RB in 2007? You not writing off 1 year then, but 2.

15. RobA

We already have a left tackle. Replace the positions we cut, not the ones we already have. Adrian Jones is a fine LT.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

well if we really get a 1st for abe.

cutler and williams or maroney would make me very happy. buts thats just dream its not realistic

17. njjet

njjet Member

Trade down ... We need to get more help on the OL. Two tackles and a center would go a long way in helping the team.

18. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Why would we draft a QB in the first round when its not our first priority and the draft is rich with them?

19. njjet

njjet Member

The #4 pick is going to cost us big bucks. Why would we pay an unproven player millions when we can trade down and get good athletic player for less!!!!!! No high price QB at #4.

20. MattMan

MattMan New Member

I still stick to my word, i want AJ Hawk in the 1st round. But then again, im a big defense guy.