0-2 How we got there and where to go from here?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I?m sure everyone had hoped we wouldn?t have started 0-2. But can you say you are really all that surprised? Just to put this in perspective our first 2 games were against two of the best teams in the AFC with the best defenses. We are clearly not on their level yet and anyone who thought we were was just being silly.

It?s the Offensive and Defensive lines stupid

Thru the first 2 games we have been beaten badly at the line on both sides of the ball. Our offensive line is clearly a weak spot. I am encouraged by the play of D?Brickashaw Ferguson though. I have not seen him get beat very much and he seems to be in position against his man every time. Nick Mangold is the best young center in the game. Where we are having problems is at both Guard positions. Clearly the loss of Pete Kendall has set us back a bit here. I like Brandon Moore and I think he is adequate at Right Guard, however his mistakes more often than not cause a running play to end up losing yards. Adrian Clarke is a work in progress on the left side. But I did see some feistiness out of him in the Baltimore game that I liked. Another problem is that neither Clarke nor Moore are very good at getting out on a sweep play. This limits us in the running game a bit which has been mediocre at best because they?re not very good at being maulers either. Clearly the problems in the running game is not Thomas Jones? fault. If anyone can remember Curtis Martins? first 2 games with the Jets were less than spectacular as well.

At this point I see no reason for a personnel change on the O-Line. What I would like to see is a more dynamic play calling. Give me some 4 WR sets and then run it up the gut. Move those line backers away from the line. Find ways to get Mangold and the Guards into the 2nd level.

On the defensive side we clearly just don?t have the bodies to take on blockers to free the linebackers to stop the run. We are losing the battle on each and every running play. Dwayne Robertson is not suited to play 3-4 NT. We all knew that coming into the season, but if we are to be effective we need to find that stout 3-4 monster in the middle. Shaun Ellis is decent against the run and KenYon Coleman has held his own, but we are still getting gashed up the middle. I haven?t seen David Harris on the field much yet either. I don?t understand that because he is supposed to be a great Run stopping Linebacker. Get him in there!

And where is the Pass Rush? Not only is the defensive line getting knocked off the ball on the run they are also not generating any pass rush. Where is David Bowens? We are using all these blitzes but they keep getting picked up then our secondary is getting torched. Do we need more exotic blitzes? So far they seem a bit vanilla to me. How about a Corner blitz? How about a stunt up front and sending Vilma? More Kerry Rhodes around the corner (I saw one yesterday). I have been terribly disappointed by the defensive play calling.

Stop the return

We need to do something about stopping these huge returns on Special Teams. They are giving the opposing offenses great field position. This is highly unusual for a Mike Westhoff coached unit. I would not be surprised if there are some changes that take place in return coverage unit. This is definitely not Nugent?s fault.

It?s a new season from here

The 0-2 record is not unexpected. But there are some encouraging things going on such as our WR play, our QB play (both Clemens AND Pennington), Revis. We have the Dolphins, Bills and Giants coming up. I think if we make some adjustments in play calling and personnel and get a couple of wins our confidence will start soaring. If this team starts gaining some confidence and starts getting comfortable, watch out. Our schedule down the stretch isn?t as tough as people think.

2. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

1) Wallace Wright is the only special teams guy making plays consistantly. I nonly see #15 making tackles. Maybe he should come and play some corner.

2) There is a major problem when your defense has not 1 sack or INT, andf has barely laid a finger on a QB. For some reason it seems liek defenses know when the jets will run. Why dont we seem like we ever know a run is coming?

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I also would like to add that the single biggest reason that we are 0-2 is that New England and Baltimore are just better teams than we are. New England looks like a juggernaut at this point, and while Baltimore hasn't been great, it's hard to beat a good team, especially one with a defense like that, on the road in the team's home opener.

4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Good Read , I Agree with what your saying , Hopefully we can win the next couple of games.

5. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

The great point is that all hope is not lost. Miami and Buffalo are 0-2 as well and there are no real stand out teams in the afc that you can def say will take WC

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, the real problem is the lines and there's nothing to do about that at this point in the process.

We'll beat teams that have issues on their lines also and we'll get beat by teams that don't. It was a minor miracle that we were in position at the end against the Ravens yesterday. Almost coming back against the Browns last year was one thing, but the Ravens are a powerful team at home.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

actually reading the jets o isnt that hard. especially for runs.

i started predicting them last yr with respectable accuracy. usually where theres exaggerated presnap instead of one WR just moving over and staying put. where you see the WR cut across the backfield only to retrace and reset to where he was originally.

they usually do that on running plays too.

i havent played in years and pickup on it so god knows how easy NFL players do.

8. rillo

rillo New Member

I agree with you on this....everytime we put Barnes out like he was the "wr" then motion him to the backfield any defense will pick that up as a run....and we did that consistently and guess what? we ran on those plays....i was getting a lil tired of it....

9. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

I dont know about the D and O lines . At times they looked good but not great given Kellen protection mostly in the second half of the 4th qtr. The Dline looked like they just awoke and couldnt get pressure on a broken young Ravens O line. But their were some lapses during the streak where they looked alright.

What could fix this . The D line and Line backers need to bulk up a lil...

My bottom line is the Jets are a good young team not a great young team that shoulda won on Sunday they were in that gane and just got out played 3 dropped passes that woulda tied the game... These game experiances will make this team cause you can tell that by the looks on their faces that they are tired of losing . And I think eric Mangini will work them like some dogs for this loss.... Primarily the WR's. kellen needs to get with them if hes gonna be the starter and get some timing down...

10. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

At first I thought the same thing . But I will bet you we make The disorganized Dolphins look like the next coming of the Colt's and the Bill will be even tougher.We needed this one in the worse way!

11. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Well I agree with your assessment and I think most of these problems are going to have to wait till the off season to address. Now, as big of a Vilma fan as I am, we're going to need to shop him for a first round pick for the draft. Positioning ourselves with two first round picks to take care of a solid NT and a solid RG or LG in the first round would be amazing. We could follow that move up with going after a big MLB to put next to David Harris in Vilma's place. Right there, we have three major positional needs taken care of and we get value for Vilma.

In addition, we need to go after the top slot receivers in next year's free agency because Vilma isn't getting it done, Stuckey is as injury prone as he was in college (which is why his stock dropped) and Brad Smith isn't elite enough to fight for the ball over the middle. We should also look at going after a large TE for blocking purposes because Baker is really more of a receiving TE, and sadly Baker isn't what we need on the OLine.

So, if those moves are made we can achieve the following:
    - Move DRob to DE where he belongs in a 3-4 scheme
    - Chad will live to play another season
    - We can finally be stout against the run

OR

We can just go back to a 4-3 scheme which is what we're better suited with our personnel to do. If we put Brian Thomas on the line and let him attack from the ground, we would be doing fantastic. Oh well.

12. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

can somebody in theganggreen please do me a favor? I don't have enough posts to start a new thread yet, and I'd love to see a "Feed D'Brickashaw" thread get started. We could discuss our favorite fattening foods to eat on gameday and then E-mail our nastiest recipes to the Jets! Or we could start up an "HGH fundraiser" and send some growth hormone to our diminutive left tackle! (If you notice, players only get caught BUYING HGH, not USING it- If we bought the stuff for him, we'd be the most supportive fanbase in the league!)

1st suggestion- Nachos with extra cheese, jalepenos, ground beef and steroids! Yum!

13. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

you are one funny guy i must say. I dont know how serious this is but every report i heard during TC was that he was at his "comfortable" playing weight. That he bounced up and down to much last year and this is where they wanted him to be

14. Canadian

Canadian New Member

If we can just step up our games a little bit, not make too many mental errors and play tough; we should be 3-2 heading into week 6!

This is a good team that just needs a little tune-up :beer:

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Gotta agree there. I keep thinking "this is the time they'll run play action on it" becasue its so obvious we are running, I hope for us to use it as a deception.

Sigh....

16. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

We need to win the next 4 games.
    Miami
    Bills
    Giants
    Eagles

They are all 0-2 right now.
    They all stink.

We need to win all 4.

17. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I would consider starting this thread for you but would probably get banned. Hang in there Cotch, by the time you can "thread" D'brick might be 150lbs.

18. ErieJets

ErieJets New Member

I definitely agree that we need to take the next 4, or at least 3 of the next 4.
    We also need to develop a swagger. We don't look like a team that won 10 games last year and reached the playoffs.

19. Slobberknocker

Slobberknocker New Member

Beat the Eagles! Beat the Giants!

Seriously. Mangenious needs to turn the ship around. Billick's chicken move shows me that a bullseye has been placed on Mangini's chest.

The Pats did the dirty stuff, but it's like you guys ratted on the mob or something.

I'm rooting for you guys 15 of 16 games this year. Not just because I want you to take down the Gnats and Iggles, but because I hate the Pats! Somebody's gotta stop 'em!

Best of luck, Jets.

20. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Has anyone read Selena Roberts' newest piece bashing Eric Mangini? This woman has an obvious bone to pick. I thought I was in New England the piece was so heavily skewered to Belicheat's side.

Also:
    Remember how daunting the Jets' schedule looked at first glance?
    But, as an above poster already pointed out, our next four opponents are winless.
    We also play both the Bills and Dolphins again, then the Browns, Titans, Chiefs and the Redskins, which are all toss-up games to me.

#20 Matty Jets, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007