Newer Members ? Calling You Out, Volume II

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sundayjack, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bigredjet

bigredjet New Member

1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?

Mangini may have been a reach, but I can't blame Woody's infatuation w/"The Patriot Way". Given the list of availables at the time, I don't have any problem with it.

Tanny was a no-brainer. Parcells wanted him and that speaks volumes. As long as he surrounds himself w/good scouts, he'll be fine. Clearly he knows the cap and how to negotiate.

(2) Who are you hoping the Jets pick in the 2006 Draft?

Mario Willaims, but not if they have to trade up. 2nd choice Brick.

(3) The 2006 season will be a success if. . . .

-win 4 division games
    -win 6-7 games overall
    -competitive in 80% of their games

(4) How long do you give the Mangini/Tannenbaum administration to succeed?

look to marvin lewis regime as standard. 3 yrs & back in the playoffs. this team has been somewhat (and properly) gutted.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Solid points....plus the jealousy in the showers might be a bit much too.

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

OK Zach...first off...learn how to use the quotes...lol...as good as your post is...Im dizzy.

As far as the time frame...lets just say by me comparing it to baseball rather than basketball...I meant all things included...parity....easier schedule etc. By improving with these methods included...doesnt give you the powerhouse...just that it wouldnt be crazy if by year two under Mangini, the Jets might possibly flirt with 500 or better.

The overall building of a very solid football team could take at least 3 years. You just never know how good MT or EM will be.

As far as the fresh start...I follow where your coming from...but its also in Manginis best interest to find out if there are any diamonds in the ruff. If Mangini is a very good coach...it wouldnt surprise me if there are players on the roster now that exceed what they have done in the past (Ellis,Robertson,Vilma,Rhodes,Coleman,Strait,Miller).

If he, through his system, could raise the level of most..not all..but most of the above guys...the above players have either shined in the past..or are in the NFL for a couple of years under Herms philosophy..or lack of.

Thats my point behind this season. At this point, the only thing as a Jet fan that keeps you going is that Mangini is the real deal....what else do we have. If he is...im very curious to see what becomes of the players listed above.

By saying that, Im just admitting how little respect I had for Herm...his philosophy...his teaching of the game of NFL football...his ability to manage a football game...his preperation...they way he wore his pants...everything.

#83 jaywayne12, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  4. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?
    Mangini seems like a guy you might have been friends with in college ? good-natured, liked to eat chicken wings and watch football. Wasn?t a hit with the ladies, but was always up for another brew and some Nintendo. ..errr, you were probably asking about my impression of his professional qualifications?.I was glad he wasn?t a retread for sure. Joe Vitt? Jim Haslett? I initially wanted Kirk Ferentz out of Iowa because of his HC experience. I was/am concerned that EM doesn?t have experience in front of the media. Understand this please: I don?t need Herm-like shenanigans in front of the camera. But there will be times this year when things go way wrong and I hope he weathers the storm. I do feel we finally have a coach that will at least get our players in the right position and that will build the right schemes game to game. The more Herm was here, the more I became convinced he would never change/could never figure out a way to beat the Pats. And if we?re going to take it up a notch, that?s what needs to be done.

As for Tanny, I was on board from the minute his elevation to GM was announced. Bradway was/is a good man, but I think he put his finger in the air too much to find out which way the wind was blowing. While Tanny is smart enough to know he can?t live in a cave and disregard what?s going on around him, I think he?ll stick to his guns (see the Washington trade for Ramsey and the Abraham trade w/Atlanta). When he doesn?t know something, I think he?ll admit it and go seek an answer. He may have an ego (and you probably need one to get a GM post), but I don?t think it would ever stop him from admitting what he doesn?t know and seeking the most qualified source (I really wouldn?t be surprised if he still taps into Parcells currently and continues to do so on a go-forward basis). I read in Peter King?s article recently that he went to a spring training game in Florida with Parcells and Ron Wolf. Right there, that tells me something.

Tough to answer because it?s unclear what will happen 1-3. I?ll assume that Bush and Leinart are off the board. (If Leinart were to fall to 4, I think you have to take him. But I wouldn?t trade up for him at all).

I?d love to take Super Mario @ 4. Just think he?s a beast, with size and selflessness. We need someone to take pressure off of Ellis and to get the QB, and Super Mario knows how to do that. Even if he?s 90% of Peppers, that?s still an unbelievable player. At 29, I think we take Bobby Carpenter. Sounds like he?s a Vrabel-type player, and we could use one. At 35, I?d love Mangold. Not sure he?ll be there. Out of this draft, I?d like to pick up at least two solid OT prospects that could either step in as rookies or that just need a bit more polishing before doing so.

If Bush, Super Mario and Leinart were all gone, I would take D?Brick. I wouldn?t be opposed, though, to trade down to Lions? #9 spot, pick up an extra #2 and an extra #3/#4 (whatever the trade value chart says). In that case, I would think about Justice at #9, Carpenter at #29, Mangold at #35, Gabe Watson at #40 and then maybe the best RB/TE/WR available in the third round picks.

(3) The 2006 season will be a success if. . . . ?..we get beaten only because our talent level is inferior to the opponents. I can?t stomach another year where we can?t figure out how to deploy our personnel in a manner that gives us the best chance to win. Herm and Dinger should have been taken out behind the woodshed for that debacle vs. Baltimore last year. I would hope that we exit the season the same way we did in 1997 ? hope for the future, competitive in every game, and a renewed sense of order on the mother ship.

Probably a lot longer than most in the media or a good bunch of posters on this board will. Would like to see Tangini add a real strong Pro-Personnel director (George Kokinis from the Ravens after the draft, perhaps). Have to remember these guys are young in their roles, but long on experience in the NFL under good people. There will be a steep learning curve, but they?ll work hard to get up it. If you hold me to a number, I?d say reassess in five years. That?s the least RWJ can do, given the rope he gave to Bradway/Edwards.

5. JeremyDigital

JeremyDigital New Member

oh yeah, lightning: you sig is sweet:

[​IMG]

Iron Maiden with NY Jets football. what could be better?

6. Axis

Axis New Member

I've been registered for a few months now, but this is the best time to get the ball rolling I think.

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?

I really think that the hiring/promotion of Mangini/Tannenbaum was really for the best. I've been a Jets fan for a long time now and I feel that the main factors keeping the team from really going places was the duo of Herm and Bradway. It really showed last year that Herm wasn't doing things that were in the best interest of the team. Not to mention the fat contract Bradway was handing out like xmas gifts really messed the team up cap wise. Now that you look at the current situation we're in and what it was before, i'd say the team is in much better shape than ever before.

I've been saying ever since the Senior Bowl that the Jets should do a few things in the draft.

1 - Find another team that wants the #4 spot bad enough to trade away a nice package of picks. This way the Jets could move down some slots and then have extra picks to help add depth to the team. Now with the pick they would have from the team they traded with, use that to pick up DeAngelo Williams. I know the team has 3 RBs right now, but other than Curtis Martin I really don't see Blaylock or Houston as an every down back. Martin has at most 2 years left in him, and if you can get someone like Williams this year, you have to take him.

2 - I've never been sold on Cutler, everything i've seen of him hasn't impressed me at all. I can't grasp the idea of why just about everyone is on this kids jock. I'd really like to see them pick up Brody Croyle in the second round. I don't see him lasting until the third, as some might thnk, so just get him while you can instead of using the wait and see approach.

3 - Now that they've got the #29, they should use that to pick up Nick Mangold to replace Kevin Mawae. Anyone else needed for the OL can be picked up in the later rounds, I really don't think they should pick Ferguson up, i'm not sold on him either because I really don't think the #4 should be used for an OL. QB/RB or trade down.

I feel that even if we don't get to .500 this season, it will be a success as long as Mangini gets his system implemented how he wants it. The team isn't going to come together right away with a new system installed, but as long as they progress and look better than they did last year, then i'd be happy with the team.

I'd give them 4 years before I pass judgement on them. I know as fans, we'll give them a hard time during the year, but i'd be lying if I said I expect them to succeed on the first season. Like I said before, as long as they keep progressing as time goes by, i'll be happy about the team.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Originally Posted by jetophile
    Secretariat. ==> [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Miss Cleo knows all and now dat, mon."

Haw! ....but tell me this ==> "I had my fill with that big mouth Keyshawn back back in the day. I say 'hell no' to Mr. Ed..."
    ^What the hell is the matter with me and that doubling up on words business the last month or so?! It's a new syndrome I've developed. I'm fast turning into that Danny DeVito character from 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' - "Hotel. Hotel. Hotel." But I repeat myself. Hehehe.

8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Very glad to be a part of TGG. There are a tom of knowledgeable posters here - I've learned a ton since joining. Also - because I am still new - the newbie posters you guys get irked at - have not gotten to me yet. As a matter of fact many are quite entertaining. Well here goes:

(1) At the time - the other candidates being thrown out there were Mike Tice and Jim Haslett. I was ecstatic to find out that we went with a fresh face rather than those re-treads. I couldn't have cared less who was GM as long as it wasn't Bradway. To have it be a guy from within was a plus as Mike T didn't have to spend any time acclimating himself to the situation.

Currently I am very pleased with what the two of them have done. Mike T. handled the Abe situation very smoothly. A great precedent was set - players/agents/GM's now realize that we will no longer be pushovers in negotiations. Mangini is saying all the right things(which is not much). I am sure he played a part in getting Mawae cut which shows that he isn't afraid to do the dirty work needed to make this his team.

(2) I hope that we can fill our needs without reaching at all. At 4 I'd be ecstatic if Leinart fell to us - but wouldn't mind otherwise because that virtually guarentees Super Mario. DE is not a position in which you get lucky in the 4th rd. Very rarely happens. At 29 I can only pray that McNeill falls to us, if not then I'd be happy with Mangold or Lawson. From there on out just draft BPA. This team has many needs and will prob have more after we find out who won't get on board with Mangini's team 1st mentality...

(3) The season will be a success if we have our team evaluated and the fat trimmed by game 8. that gives us the rest of the season to gel what we have and make obvious where our positions of need will be going forward. If all goes well, within the last 4 games of the year our team will have gained an identity and opposing coaches will be telling their team "not to have a letdown as this NYJ team is a much better team than the one that started the season".

(4) We will know by the end of this season whether or not he is the right man for this job. It won't be based on our Won/Loss record, but moreso on our teams attitude and body language late in the year. I anticipate a long year(nice way of saying we won't win alot) - whether or not the team competes hard all year will generally dictate how successful of a coach we have IMO. As for Mike T. - we will really need 3 years to see how his draft picks develop. We have a ton of picks in a deep draft. Within year 3 we should have more than just a couple of guys contributing to the NYJ's success.

9. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Very nice job Axis. Keep posting.

1. You wont find many who disagree with you here.

2. I am one of those in the camp where if we could trade down no further than 10 and get another 2nd rounder + others, we should do it but I wouldnt be upset to get Mario, Leinart, Hawk at 4. I would be upset at Brick but would quickly put that behind.
    At that new spot though, I think we would be better served to get something other than a RB. I do like Deangelo alot but Winston Justice would help us more next year than Deangelo.

3. Fully agree

4. You are a patient man. You will do well here.

Welcome :up:

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

And, as we may soon find out, Buffalo football fans may soon be Los Angeles football fans. On the upside, Uncle Bob's Snow & Ice Emporium looks to enjoy a banner year in 2006. :)

Welcome aboard. :up:

11. lightning

lightning Active Member

nothing man, nothing at all

12. Sundayjack

Wow. So, you're in the sunshiner camp? That's good. Their membership has dwindled so much these past few months. Me? I'm thinking 8 wins would make me giddy. I think I will kick through a wall if we drop to last in the division. That would be unforgivable.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Ed is no sure thing, no horse is a sure thing but I just think Secretariat reminds me a little to much of Vick and you can't ignore that wonderlic. I don't advocate trading up for Ed but if he falls to us you have to take him. He is the most pro ready horse out there. I know he has a rep as a club house lawyer and party animal but you can't ignore the fact that he can put a sentence together and doesn't talk in the third person.

14. Sundayjack

Funny that I've come to just assume Chad won't be the starter this year. Maybe it's just how I fixed it in my head when he went down again this season.I just don't ever see him throwing with any kind of velocity. I hope I'm wrong, because I see nothing but Greek Tragedy in Patrick Ramsey.

15. Sundayjack

:lol: Hehehe. . .

Not a big deal, reading without registering. I did it. There are a lot of people like that. Another Jets board doesn't allow it. That's their thing. They're trying to sell memberships to their paysite and turn a profit - all very nice, I guess. Welcome to tgg, though. Keep posting your thoughts. It adds to the site.

By the way, have you noticed coloradojet. He's been a member for a few years. Posts now and then.

16. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Bollinger had a few good games last year he played well against NO and really stuck it up right up the ass of the stupid motherless fucking scumbag jerk off Dolphin fans (motherless cunts I hope the all of Dade county sink into the fucking ocean). So I think that we should not be totaly overlooking him he might be able to be a starter until we can get a real QB in the future.

17. Jaquifus

Jaquifus New Member

My name is Jaquifus. I'm 22 years old, My favorite Jet of all time is Wayne Chrebet, and I LOVE JetsTV. Anyway I've been a lurker for a long time, and honestly I prefer lurking. You guys can be real tough on noobs, and its tough to get out new info when you dont really have any "sources." Dont hate me if I say something some other guy said. I just didnt feel like reading thru the 800 other posts in this thread.

I didnt know much about Mangini until we started looking at him as a potential Jets HC. Honestly I'm not sure whether it is a good pickup because I'm not one who buys into the "anyone on the Patriots staff is GOLD" idea that many football teams have. We'll see how he does. I'm happy with the Tannenbaum promotion but I'll tell you more about how I feel after the draft and offseason.

I love the draft, and its my favorite time of the year.... unless the Jets are in the playoffs. I'd be happy with a lot of things, but the only thing I don't want is to trade up and draft Leinert. I'd be happy if he fell to us at 4. I'd take Williams, I'd take Brick, I'd take Young. Hawk is great but 1 of the aformentioned 4 will be available for the Jets and I feel they're all better options than hawk. Give me Greenway or Maroney with our 2nd pick.

I say we go 5-11 next year, so pretty much anything better than that will be a success. Also, if Pennington comes back strong and our defense remains solid, I'd count the season as a success regardless of our record.

3 years. If we're not in the playoffs by 2009 I'll be plenty pissed.

18. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Sowell Train....You do realize that having 2 names is grounds for banishment, right?

19. Jaquifus

Jaquifus New Member

Hah, I'm not Sowell Train. I just find his internet broadcast funny.

20. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

My name is Bryan. I've browsed these boards since the days of "draft Sean Taylor", but just signed up a month ago to start posting:

I was enthralled. I'm glad to see the team sweeping out the crap and putting in two young guys who can potentially stay here for a very long time. I like the Mangini hiring mainly because the guy just seems to know his stuff. People rag on him for not having experience, but Mike Tice has experience and, well....look at him. Our core was aging, and it was time so start fresh. I think they're doing a bang up job thus far.

Well, if by some miracle Leinart or Bush fall through, they are a must. More realistically though, I would take Mario Williams. The man is a beast and has more potentail at the position then Abe ever had. He's huge and fast. I would love him. If he's gone, I'm not so sure. I might take D'Brick, because we're not rock solid at LT and perhaps Jones can be turned into another O lineman. I might also trade down with the Lions and go for Vernon Davis, Winston Justice, or DeAngelo Williams (although Williams may be a reach).

....we see the team improve over the train wreck it was last season. It's that simple.

No real limit here, as long as I see the teams keep improving over the years, they'll kick some ass eventually