Annual Season Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Call it like you see it, boys and girls:

AFCE
    NE Patriots - 13-3
    NY Jets - 11-5 *
    Buffalo Bills - 9-7
    Miami Dolphins - 6-10

AFCN
    Pittsburgh Steelers - 12-4
    Cleveland Browns - 6-10
    Cincinnati Bengals - 6-10
    Baltimore Ravens - 3-13

AFCS
    Jacksonville Jaguars - 12-4
    Indianapolis Colts - 11-5 *
    Tennessee Titans 8-8
    Houston Texans 5-11

AFCW
    SD Chargers 11-5
    Denver Broncos 9-7
    Oakland Raiders 5-11
    KC Chiefs 2-14

NFCE
    Dallas Cowboys 12-4
    NY Giants 10-6 *
    Philadelphia Eagles 9-7
    Washington Redskins 5-11

NFCN
    Minnesota Vikings 9-7
    GB Packers 8-8
    Detroit Lions 5-11
    Chicago Bears 3-13

NFCS
    NO Saints 13-3
    TB Buccaneers 9-7
    Carolina Panthers 7-9
    Atlanta Falcons 4-12

NFCW
    Seattle Seahawks 11-5
    Arizona Cardinals 11-5 *
    ST. Louis Rams 6-10
    SF 49'ers 5-11

Yes, the numbers add up.

AFC Champion: New York Jets
    NFC Champion: NO Saints

Super Bowl champion: New York Jets

NFL MVP: Brett Favre

------------------------------------------------

I know I'm gonna get killed by the "realists" for the homer pick, but I feel they have a real shot at this. I can't shake the feeling that there is something special going on with this team. It's just a hunch. Besides, the last pick I made from the heart was the 2003 NCAA tourney. I picked Syracuse to win it all.

Al it takes is playing good football through mid-November, and playing great football from there out. This team can do that.

NE shoudl be the frontrunner for the championship, which is why I gave them the record I did, but I don't really feel that they are going to come close to dominating the way they did last year. Again, it's just a hunch.

2. Taylor

Taylor New Member

AFCE
    NE Patriots - 14-2
    NY Jets - 10-6
    Buffalo Bills - 9-7
    Miami Dolphins - 6-10

AFCN
    Pittsburgh Steelers - 9-7
    Cleveland Browns - 10-6
    Cincinnati Bengals - 5-11
    Baltimore Ravens - 4-12

AFCS
    Jacksonville Jaguars - 13-3
    Indianapolis Colts - 12-4
    Tennessee Titans 9-7
    Houston Texans 7-9

AFCW
    SD Chargers 12-4
    Denver Broncos 9-7
    Oakland Raiders 6-10
    KC Chiefs 2-14

NFCE
    Dallas Cowboys 13-3
    NY Giants 10-6
    Philadelphia Eagles 9-7
    Washington Redskins 8-8

NFCN
    Minnesota Vikings 9-7
    GB Packers 11-5
    Detroit Lions 5-11
    Chicago Bears 6-10

NFCS
    NO Saints 11-5
    TB Buccaneers 8-8
    Carolina Panthers 9-7
    Atlanta Falcons 4-12

NFCW
    Seattle Seahawks 11-5
    Arizona Cardinals 9-7
    ST. Louis Rams 6-10
    SF 49'ers 5-11

AFC Champion: Patriots
    NFC Champion: Dallas

Super Bowl champion: Patriots

NFL MVP: Adrian Peterson

#2 Taylor, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As usual I'm not going to do records, because injuries will likely decide where teams play within their ranges. It's also hard to predict the "it" team each year which suddenly catches it's rhythm in midseason and blows the league away in the second half.

AFC East

Patriots - They're the Pats until proven otherwise.
    Bills X - A lot of young talent here on both sides of the ball.
    Jets - Upgraded to respectable and could surprise if injuries are low.
    Dolphins - Too little talent to compete yet and Parcells ran JTaylor out of town.

AFC North

Steelers - Solid team on both sides of the ball. Roethlisberger is top 5.
    Browns - Leaned towards making them #1 until DAnderson got concussed.
    Bengals - Carson Palmer is not going to QB a last place team so unless he gets hurt...
    Ravens - No QB, hard to win.

AFC South

Colts - Best team in the AFC right now.
    Jaguars X - Deep, talented team on both sides of the ball.
    Texans - This could be the season they really challenge for a wildcard.
    Titans - Calling Vince Young: talent and five bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks.

AFC West

Chargers - What a great team. Sucks to be looking up at the Colts and Pats.
    Broncos - 2nd by default. It's nice to be in a division with the Chiefs and Raiders.
    Chiefs - Herm can motivate a mediocre team to live up to it's talent.
    Raiders - Earth to AL: hire a general manager and let them run the damn team.

Surprises: Bills, Texans. Only two because that's the kind of year it is, with a lot of established teams and no place for most of the other teams to rise.

Disappointments: Jets, Bengals, Titans.

Storylines, I hate this part because I always nail one, go 50/50 on another and miss one by a mile. But they're fun to do so here goes:

1. The Buffalo Bills have quietly been assembling talent under the radar for the last three seasons. They had some bad injuries at the start of the season last year so any chance to surprise kind of went out the window. Losman had something to do with the disappointment as well. This year Trent Edwards takes over the reins and if the Bills can stay healthy they win 10 or 11 games and make the playoffs for the first time since Clinton was President.

2. What's wrong in Cincinnati? They have a very good QB and some real starpower in the supporting cast and they can't turn that into a great season for their life. The last time they had this situation was with Boomer Esiason and Sam Wyche. Wyche got the boot and Boomer got traded. I'll bet you Marvin Lewis is gone at the end of the season and Palmer within two years.

3. The Raiders faithful have had enough. By midseason there'll be Raiders fans with paper bags over their heads. Al Davis has now officially run the franchise that he built into the ground. The problem? He doesn't want to sell them because he doesn't need the money for anything in the twilight of his life. And he can't let anybody else really run his team. Thank god the Yankees have real heirs in line at this point. that's all that has kept Steinbrenner from making a cacophonic mess of the team in the last year or two.

BTW, just to be clear: I expect the Jets to win 7 or 8 games and be very competitive this year. I also expect that that will be seen as a big disappointment by the fans and media due to the investment in players this offseason. It shouldn't be seen that way but it will.

#3 Br4d, Aug 31, 2008
  4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Posted this on another site I went to about 2-3 weeks ago so if anythings outdated its understandable.

AFC East

1. New England 13-3(You cant expect them to run the gauntlet AGAIN but this team still has a easy schedule and didnt lose much but the secondary got a whole lot weaker and inexperienced so that's the thing to watch for. Offense is still a great one to see and that alone can win ballgames, but they wont be in as many rout games as they were last year.)

2. NY Jets 10-6(I had this team at 8-8 due to the soft schedule but with better QB play I think I can give them 2 more wins.... Favre opens the team up with his arm but again it'll be tough to see him learn the playbook so quickly. D all together got much better in Jenkins, Pace, Gholston, Lowery, and the losses of Vilma, Hobson and Robertson who each cant play the 3-4 will be good for the D Expecting big years of Revis and Harris in their 2nd years. Offense will be better with Faneca, Woody and Richardson blocking wise and guys like Thomas Jones who had 1000 yards last year should do even better.)

3. Buffalo 9-7(I do like this team alot and think they can reach .500 or more. Just will be shy of playoffs. D gets healthier with Poz, Whitner, Ko Simpson and they get their Clements replacement in McKelvin who even if I am not HIGH on he should be useful for them. Stroud is a big addition In my eyes and as for the offense, Edwards/Lynch each have 1 year on their belt and my lone concern for this offense is if Hardy can be that true No.2 option and if Peters can just end his holdout and lead the O-Line to a good year)

4. Miami 3-13(Chad gives them the better chance to win but there just isnt much talent around. No legit WR options, Ronnie Brown just cant stay healthy and a DECENT O-Line. Defense is still young and doesnt have much that really is intimidating. Just not enough cards to win.)

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh 10-6(I wouldent rule out that a 9-7 team from this division will make it and its not because of the lack of talent but because the AFC is so hard this year. But honestly I am not impressed with PIT IMHO, the O-Line still would scare me, the RB's you never know about and all together that D is just OK)

2. Cleveland 7-9(Even if Anderson does play, I am not expecting much out of him this year as I dont think he's repeating what he did last year. Cant expect Jamal Lewis to do what he did last year too. Defense will be better but that secondary is just fugly with a 2nd yr CB in Wright as the shutdown CB)

3. Baltimore 5-11(Spotty RB play along with a ?? at QB gives this team the 5-11. I think the defense can only take you so far, they are the Chicago of the AFC)

4. Cincinnati 5-11(Their D is still less than modest and while on paper the team's offense looks stellar, its the fact that they can never put anything together that is what puts them here. I expect Marvin Lewis to be canned by week 8)

AFC South

1. Indianapolis 12-4(I like this team alot. I dont think I need to say a whole lot on the team that cant already be figured out. They just have to make sure Sanders is healthy because if he isnt, thats 2 wins gone from the record)

2. Houston 10-6(See I want to put this team into the playoffs but if Dunta Robinson was only healthy to open the year, I mean Reeves as the No.1 CB isnt exactly intimidating. The team is solid dont get me wrong but hopefully a RB can come out and help the team. I will have them in at the 6th spot in the playoffs though as BUF and JAX will chase the Texans and take the spot from them this year)

3. Jacksonville 8-8(Sorry I am not THAT high on this team, new defensive coordinator some key losses like Stroud, their top pick Harvey holding out still I believe, and that their WR wasnt improved at all unless you consider Troy Williamson one. You also cant expect Fred Taylor to have that kind of year, hopefully MJD steps up)

4. Tennessee 5-11(Cant expect Albert Haynesworth to have a DPOY esque year again even if its a contract year simply because he has often shown in the past that he is unable to stay healthy. That D is a nice one yes but again the offense wont help it because again Young got no weapons at WR....Crumpler may help the running game a bit but White/Johnson doesnt really scare much. I thought they were like the Jets last year in a way, overachieved but when your in such a nasty division your bound for a down year)

AFC West

1. San Diego 13-3(They play in what might be the worst division in the game and they have a really nice team even if Merriman isnt playing at full strength. They should get a 1st round bye just on shere talent)

2. Oakland 6-10(Yes Oakland will finish 2nd in the division but thats because I dont see much out of this division......They improved themselves somewhat so I wonder if this jump to 2nd place in the division can keep Kiffin's job secure)

3. Kansas City 4-12(Not feeling this team this year, I mean the lone weapons are really Bowe and LJ since Gonzalez is getting a bit down due to the QB play. Defense is still young and are even more suspect now with no more Allen)

4. Denver 4-12(I've posted my feelings on Denver this year and outside of Marshall, what is the big gun on the offense. Selvin Young is a nice lil back but Cutler may not perform as expected this year due to what is around him. The WR play outside of Marshall doesnt look promising, I mean your looking at Darrel Jackson maybe even starting sometime...The D's biggest addition is DeWayne Robertson in the front....He sucks as a Jets fan. Doesnt matter what the CBs are if you get no pressure up front your gonna have a bad day)

NFC East

1. Dallas 12-4(Big D is still Big D. Barber should have a nice lil year and the D should be better with a healthy Thomas. My lone concern is Crayton starting as well as if that once underachieving O-Line can have another strong year)

2. Philadelphia 10-6(I am feeling this team this year, dont know why. They may not have the WRs but its a healthy McNabb and Westbrook I am seeing this year along with a retooled DEF with the addition of Asaunte Samuel. I am not as HUGE on Samuel as others are as he was able to sit back in the NE D but this guy is still a very solid player without a doubt and helps what was ehh secondary and upgrade it)

3. NY Giants 8-8(Ahh the curse of the SB. One team suffers usually and it will be the G-Men this year. I mean no more Shockey seems like a good thing chemistry wise but his top tier blocking will be missed for what was a OK group of RB in Bradshaw, Jacobs and Ward. Eli will have 1-2 egg games but he should be steady.....The Defense does get Kiwanuka back as well as a solid player in Kenny Phillips via the draft but the Strahan loss will be huge as Tuck will now have a monster responsibility ESPECIALLY with no more Osi and I dont think he can make up for it and help Osi on the other side. Still not in love with the OLB's so I think NYG may be hurt a bit on the Run D side. Contemplating to put them at 6-10 with the Osi injury but Ill be nice and stay at 8 wins)

4. Washington 7-9(They just play in a hard division and with new coaches for offense, defense and as a head coach, it'll take 1 year for a transition. Didnt care much for the offseason, got a guy I dont like much in Jason Taylor, and gathered on WRs instead of CBs which was a big weakness in my eyes. Campbell also hasnt shown me enough to have a heap of confidence. Do or die time for him. Healthy Portis and Rogers should help both sides of the ball but the team made the playoffs cuz of the rallying of Sean Taylor. Not this year)

NFC North

1. Minnesota 11-5(QB play does hurt them a bit but its the dangerous lines on offense AND defense that make this team such a threat. Peterson just has to stay healthy because its down to MIN and GB. Rice I expect good things out of and maybe Berrian can show why he got that big deal, I'd like to see that.)

2. Green Bay 10-6(Despite no Favre, the team should still do well with Rodgers at QB who I am high on this year. Cant expect ND's finest Ryan Grant to have a year that he did last year but Jennings/Driver will be a solid duo and open the game up for the offense. Defense is still the same even though again I am not in love with the secondary of Bigby who couldent even make the Jets team 2 years back and Woodson)

3. Detroit 6-10(Calvin Johnson should have a sick year but Kitna isnt in the Martz style offense anymore so he wont put up the stuff he's put the past 2-3 years. O-Line did get Gosder Cherilus to replace Woody but still its not a good unit so Kitna will be running often and early. Defense doesnt scare much as well so this team may not do THAT well)

4. Chicago 5-11(Basically what was mentioned of Baltimore applies to this team. Ehh QB play and who the heck knows the RB spot with a often hurt/ailing guy(McGahee/Jones) and an unproven rookie(Rice/Forte). WR core isnt too great but Lloyd will shock some people. Defense is stellar but you can only go so far with it)

#4 BakerMaker, Aug 31, 2008
  5. BakerMaker

NFC South

1. New Orleans 11-5(Big additions with Vilma, Shockey, Ellis should help the team. What can hurt them is the secondary, but outside of that this team doesnt have too many MAJOR weaknesses. A healthy Deuce would mean a lot for this team but I think Bush is going to have a nice lil year, just Payton has to stop with these gimmicky gadget plays. Brees will have an ok year, nothing killer)

2. Tampa Bay 7-9(I think this team overachieved last year and think it comes back down a bit. Garcia had a pro bowl year which shouldent be happening this year, defense while young and has some good pieces wont create as many turnovers as it did last year, and your asking alot out of the WR core of Galloway/Clayton to step up)

3. Carolina 6-10(This might be the nail in the coffin for Fox. No Smith for the 1st 2 games, Delhomme should bounce back and make this team tougher but the RB core is banged up of Stewart/Williams that you dont know how that will do. Defense is underachieving and with no Jenkins, it will be pounded a bit vs the run)

4. Atlanta 3-13(Ryan is the starter at QB, so its expected that growing pains will happen. New coach and system implemented and outside of 1-2 legit players on that D, this defense will get torched up. Anderson needs to have a good 2nd year or else criticism will come in. Outside of Roddy White, nothing major on the offense from what I am seeing. 1st pick will belong to them)

NFC West

1. Arizona 9-7(FINALLY I am biting on the Card hype. Now I am not hyping too much I guess since its only a 9-7 record but I think they will just make it over SEA. Solid WR core, Edge is in his last year I believe so he will show up, defense has been much better and will get Wilson/Rolle back from injury along with DRC the draft pick. My lone concern is the pass rush but outside of that, this team should be decent this year)

2. Seattle 9-7(Loses tiebreakers with ARI and I say I am not in love with SEA due to the WR core, led by Branch and Burelson. I like the Julius Jones pickup but its tough to expect him to be a workhorse back in year 1 as he was the 2nd string RB in Dallas for the past 2 years if I am not mistaken. Hasselback will make magic out of nothing again but its tough to expect them to just walk right into the playoffs out of this poor division.)

3. St Louis 6-10(Just a meh team and its due to the O-Line. They have the weapons in Jackson, Bulger and Holt yes but what good does it do without a sick O-Line or even serviceable. D-Line of Long and Carricker should be solid but behind it lies a weak LB core and a spotty at best secondary. Team will get runned up and passed on often)

4. San Francisco 4-12(QB play is what hurts them. Gore if he can come through with the injuries can win 2 games alone for them and Willis is a stud on the D but thats about it. Some ok pieces in Clements who I still think is somewhat overrated and overpaid Lawson who should at least be helpful and Balmer who is still raw but is the meat up front. WR core of Bruce and Battle is medicore somewhat so no matter who the heck the QB is, they wont have much help to work with)

AFC Playoffs
    1. SD
    2. NE
    3. IND
    4. PIT
    5. NYJ
    6. HOU

NFC Playoffs
    1. DAL
    2. NO
    3. MIN
    4. ARI
    5. PHI
    6. GB

Wildcard Round

NYJ over PIT
    IND over HOU
    PHI over ARI
    GB over MIN

Divisional Playoffs
    SD over NYJ
    NE over IND
    DAL over GB(Dallas finally wins a playoff game....)
    PHI over NO

AFC and NFC Champ games
    SD over NE
    PHI over DAL

SB
    SD Def PHI, Chargas SB champs

NFL 2009 Draft top 15
    1. Atlanta
    2. Miami
    3. San Francisco
    4. Kansas City
    5. Denver
    6. Chicago
    7. Cincinnati
    8. Baltimore
    9. Tennessee
    10. Philadelphia(Via CAR)
    11. St Louis
    12. Oakland
    13. Detroit
    14. Washington
    15. Cleveland

5 Coaches To Be Fired(In No Order)
    1. Lane Kiffin OAK
    2. Scott Linehan STL
    3. Mike Nolan SF
    4. Marvin Lewis CIN
    5. John Fox CAR

3 Coaches On Hot Seat Heading Into Next Year
    1. Wade Phillips DAL
    2. Herm Edwards KC
    3. Jon Gruden TB

#5 BakerMaker, Aug 31, 2008
  6. Taylor

Taylor New Member

your crazy if you think jax is going 8-8

7. BakerMaker

Why would I be crazy to say that? Any reasons?:eek:hmy:

8. Taylor

Taylor New Member

do i need to say any reasons? Tennessee is not getting any better nor Houston and just based on jvilles performance last year why shouldn't they even have the same record? they upgraded their WR's even if its a little bit, they upgraded their d-line(yes i know stroud isint their anymore) but with Derek and groves as the ends, Rob Meier as their new DT they definitely didn't down grade, they're more experienced. i can see them winning the south

9. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Ok...what the hell.

AFC East
    New England Patriots - 14-2
    New York Jets - 9-7
    Miami Dolphins - 8-8
    Buffalo Bills - 7-9

AFC North
    Cleveland Browns - 11-5
    Pittsburgh Steelers - 10-6*
    Cincinnati Bengals - 4-12
    Baltimore Ravens - 4-12

AFC South
    Jacksonville Jaguars - 13-3
    Indianapolis Colts - 12-4*
    Houston Texans 7-9
    Tennessee Titans 4-12

AFC West
    San Diego Chargers 12-4
    Denver Broncos 8-8
    Oakland Raiders 5-11
    Kansas City Chiefs 3-13

NFCE
    Dallas Cowboys 13-3
    New York Giants 9-7
    Philadelphia Eagles 8-8
    Washington Redskins 6-10

NFC North
    Minnesota Vikings 10-6
    Detroit Lions 10-6*
    Green Bay Packers 7-9
    Chicago Bears 3-13

NFC South
    New Orleans Saints 10-6
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6*
    Carolina Panthers 8-8
    Atlanta Falcons 3-13

NFC West
    Seattle Seahawks 9-7
    Arizona Cardinals 7-9
    St. Louis Rams 7-9
    San Francisco 49ers 4-12

AFC Champion: Jacksonville Jaguars
    NFC Champion: Dallas Cowboys

Super Bowl champion: Jacksonville Jaguars

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I don't actually expect them to win it all this year, but I do expect a good year. They don't have the luxury of time. There has to be rapid improvement over the course of the season. I'm expecting a slow start (2-2, maybe), but then I expect things will pick up quickly. There is a great mix of vets and young talent on this team, and I think it can work well.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I would love it if I'm being too pessimistic about the Jet's chances for a change. I'm usually over optimistic about where they'll wind up, so this year I cut my prediction by a game or two. (God help me) I could see them winning 10 games or even 11 with a little luck and no serious injuries (End of plea for mercy mode)

12. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

#12 Raiderjoe, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

And I thought you were only delusional about the Raiders.

14. Tight

Tight Active Member

Does the make any sense ? They are more experienced with two rookies on the line ?

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

AFC East
    Patriots - 12-4
    Jets - 11-5 *
    Bills - 8-8
    Dolphins - 7-9

AFC North
    Steelers - 10-6
    Browns - 8-8
    Bengals - 7-9
    Ravens - 7-9

AFC South
    Jaguars - 10-6
    Colts - 10-6 *
    Titans 7-9
    Texans 7-9

AFC West
    Chargers 10-6
    Broncos 8-8
    Raiders 6-10
    Chiefs 4-12

NFC East
    Cowboys 11-5
    Giants 10-6 *
    Eagles 9-7
    Redskins 6-10

NFC North
    Vikings 9-7
    Packers 8-8
    Lions 5-11
    Bears 6-10

NFC South
    Saints 9-7
    Buccaneers 8-8
    Panthers 8-8
    Falcons 4-12

NFC West
    Seahawks 9-7
    Cardinals 9-7 *
    Rams 7-9
    49ers 6-10

Think those add up.

Patriots over Jags in AFC Championship game, Giants over Cowboys in NFC. Giants over Patriots in Super Bowl.