Mike and Mike This Morning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 227. Row 5, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The Mike and Mike Show (1010 AM Radio) this morning was pretty good. Of course, with Greenberg being a Jets fan, the topic of conversation was all Favre this morning.

They interviewed Mike Ditka, who expressed the opinion that Favre was a good move. He tempered that with, "Of course, the quarterback always gets way too much credit and way too much criticism."

Then they had that comedian on (Caliendro?) who does the John Madden impersonations? The guy was hysterical.

When Greenie asked him if the Jets should give him #4, "Madden" says, "Well, of course, I mean, this is BRETT FAAAAARRRVE. I mean, we're talking BRETT FAAAARRRRVE here. And Green Bay needs to retire #4, but we really need to retire the #4 from the entire numerical system. I mean... in other words... in school, the kids should be counting, "one, two, three, FARVE, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, FARVETEEN, fifteen, etc."

Some of the points discussed (you knew most of these already, but):

1) Expect Favre to open up the game more. The key difference between Farve and Chad is predicability. Favre will take the chance and pull the trigger... not so with Chad. Defenses have more to worry about now.
    2) Thomas Jones and the other RBs will have more room... instead of the Safety jamming the tackle box, he'll need to take care of business out there. The O-line will find it easier to make lanes and the RBs will have more to work with.
    3) The WR's like Coles and Cotchery are going to have to put on their "swivel heads" and assume the ball is coming their way more, because it will be. They're used to the checkdown... not so with FAAAARRRVE. They're going to have to acclimate to that.

Greenie was saying the Jets HAVE TO WIN in Miami, because they could be 1-2 after facing NE and San Diego. But even if they're 2-2 at the Bye, this will be about as much time as it should take for Favre to get used to his teammates and find a rythm. After that, Greenie predicts the Jets could win 9 or 10 and make the playoffs.

They never mentioned Keller in this formula, but there's one area that is custom-taylored for a guy like Favre. I can't wait to see Keller catching Favre passes in the middle... it'll be like having a Dallas Clark or a larger Wesley Welker. It's gonna be a handful trying to stop this offense!

2. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

you gotta love greeny

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Greenie is a tool

4. johnny_blood

johnny_blood New Member

Yes, your WRs are going to have to learn that they can be open anywhere on the field and the ball is going to be coming fast. They're going to suffer some broken fingers.

Your RBs and TEs need to be ready for the improvised shovel pass, too. :)

5. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I worry about Coles catching passes from Favre. He's been catching those lobs from Penny for so long...

The Jets trainer will have his hands full taping jammed fingers this year.

johnny_blood, that's a great point about the shovel too. I've watched a lot of Packer games, and he does like doing that. I expect a few of those to go Washingtons way.

6. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

i'm excited for one of those stumbling, lefty, underhand passes that neon leon will take to the house

also, does this have any impact on bubba franks' spot on the depth chart? he was once one of favre's favorite options. regardless, i like our TE situation

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

When you think of the total number of weapons we've got that might otherwise have never reached full potential here because of the nature of the Pennington checkdown, the sky's the limit. Jones, Washington, Coles, Cotchery, Stuckey, Smith, Keller, Baker, Caulcrick, etc.

At least now, by "letting it rip," we're going to find out what we've got in some of these guys and how great they can truly be for us.

True, in two years Favre may not take us to the promised land, but at least we'll be on track with development of some of these others and the two years gives us enough time to groom either Clemens or Ainge or find someone else who can take over when Favre eventually retires.

I am totally PUMPED for this season.

8. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Probably not; that didn't stop Franks from slipping to second or third on the packers depth chart over the past few years to first David Martin and then Donald Lee.

9. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

Imagine all the yards after reception that the receivers will make. They'll get the ball quicker and thus be able to evade would be tacklers. The tacklers will not be drapped all over them as per a Chad pass.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Cothchery has been in the top 5 in the NFL the past TWO seasons in yards after the catch with Pennington and Clemens throwing to him. Your comment about tacklers being draped all over Jet receivers and limiting their YACs is just not accurate.

11. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

This only makes my point even stronger. Imagine how many extra yards they can gain, above and beyond what they've already acheived, with Brett getting them the ball in a quicker fashion.

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

YAC is a function of the receiver and not the QB. Cotchery has a high YAC no matter the QB. Keyshawn Johnson had a low YAC his entire career, from NY, to Tampa to Carolina.

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

gotta admit WSW that, IMO, the YAC is a function of both QB and WR.....the timing of the throw, ball placement, and tight spiral all play a role in giving the receiver the ability not to break stride.

but ur spot on that some WR have it or don't have it regardless of who is throwing them the rock.

jil

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Greenberg was shitting himself... He should of cocksmacked that other douche host though.

15. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Greeny was great. And I can tell you from living in Chi-town, Waddle is annoying.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

All things we have lacked for a while.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Wish we had Santana Moss, now!

18. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Banned

19. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Banned

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

20. ........

........ Trolls

What the fuck was the point of bumping this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.