Don't over look Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nohope, Jul 28, 2008.

1. nohope

nohope New Member

With the qb competition at hand, Penny seems to be pulling ahead, or so it seems. I like Clemens too, but he's young and still has plenty of time to develop. Let's not forget that there was a time when we all loved chad, lets say playoffs against chargers. With a good line and time to actually think, he'll be able to be back in his old form, he's 32, not a dinosaur! Also, don't get your hopes up with favre, he's a pain in the butt and not the long term solution. Let's rally behind chad again.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Starting Penny gives me no hope. I feel that he is done and if Kellen is not good enough to snatch the job away from a guy who made a habbit of throwing soft passes and late game picks last year then we'er screwed.

I'll cheer for whom ever is in thier because I have to, but would rahter it be a someone with a bit of an arm instead of the wet noodle once again.

3. harts24

harts24 Member

Ahhhhh No!

4. nohope

nohope New Member

you know if chad does well, we will all be kissing his ass

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself. Even if he does well he won't do well enough to win it all and that's what most of us are looking for.

6. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

lets see ....hows CP gonna handle recievers getting pressed......8 in the box with blitz packages over and over.......he is too gdamn SLOW and his reaction time is DULL at best.....its last year all over again ....CP is who we think he is

7. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

:beer:Unfortunately our QB situation is dire at best, CP isn't the answear and we are waiting on KC to prove that he has what it takes, something i don't think he ever will prove. I'm still hoping Ratliff gets the starters role :smile:

8. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

For whatever reason, I think Chad plays better when he's mad and a bit pissed off (he started playing better when Herm called him out about being too convervative in 2002; he played well in the '04 playoffs when he suffered the injury and everyone was doubting him; he played well in '06 when he was forced into competition). So I think all this Favre talk may end up serving Chad well, ironically enough.

The hope I have with Chad is that a kick ass defense that keeps the opposition in check, an o-line that can establish a dominant running game and gamebreaking slot receivers (Stuckey, Keller) will play to Chad's strengths this year and enable him to re-establish the 2006 form and avoid the 2007 meltdown. He can hit the deep route when it's unexpected, not part of the gameplan.

Putting the franchise's success on CP's shoulders is asking for a lot and setting ourselves up for disappointment. And this comes from a guy who supports Chad generally.

9. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...Starting Penny gives me no hope. I feel that he is done and if Kellen is not good enough to snatch the job away from a guy who made a habbit of throwing soft passes and late game picks last year then we'er screwed..."

In my opinion, this is short-sighted, and is predicated on a judgment of both QBs in a disastrous situation not of their making. Until you see both these QBs perform in an offense that works WELL on all cylinders for several games, these snap negative judgments are a displacement of displeasure about losing onto the heads of the most convenient targets.

The OL and D need to get up to speed as a whole. Whether these QBs can contribute then, it remains to be seen.

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Oh dammit...that would mean I would have to change my screenname though!

If Kellen continues to struggle and Pennington continues to play smart...they absolutely should start pennington.

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Ratliff in '08 Baby!

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh gimmie a break. Guy can't throw more then 5 yards, enough of the BS.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

it's good to see more people believing in the kid.

Draft a QB next year, no one can lead this team anymore.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If Chad starts, it shows they really don't think Clemens is ready. Chad is an average at best QB. If Clemens can't beat that, I'm sure the FO will be disappointed.

If Pennington starts and plays well, we'll all hear that he was hurt last year and can still be a pretty good quarterback. And sure, he can be pretty good, and we can win 10 games with him. But can we win a Super Bowl with him? Probably not.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is the truth. Chad IS a winning capable quarterback, but he would need a seriously ridiculous team around him to get him through a Super Bowl victory season.

Won't lie though, I wouldn't be disappointed if that happened. Only the biggest Chad haters would be most likely.

16. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

This reminds me of the fabulous Elway's dilemma with the Broncos. Elway was a winning capable quarterback, but until he got a serious running game and a respectable defense he couldn't get a sniff of the Super Bowl -- two minute comebacks, and rifle arm be damned.

Now I am not saying that either Chad or Kellen is any Elway, not by a long shot, but we should take into account the calibre of offensive and defensive teams it took to get him to the big show -- even with Elway's prodigious talents...

I would also like to point out that the popular wisdom in 07 was that 10-6 NYG's were damned lucky to be in the playoffs but they were going nowhere fast with that inconsistent over-hyped QB of theirs...

17. Green Lantern 80

Just a thought - how many other current teams could Chad be the starter on? Maybe the Vikings? Certainly not the Bears - his arm couldn't handle the weather. Arena teams don't count! I loved Chad when he had an arm, but I am so very tired of the land of dink and dunk. Dink and Dunk doesn't win.

18. Verngenious

Verngenious New Member

Chad has been in his lab learning how to bulid arm strenth, his arm is going to be stronger this year. Lol Watch Chad come out slingin' the pig skin all over the field opening day in Miami. Lol He has to stop the dink and dunk shit and get the ball down field, if he can't get the ball downfield then he can't be starting in my eyes b/c it's too easy for the defense to defend. I think he's going to be slining it this year - Penny's back bitches!! Like Robo QB

19. Gator

Gator Active Member

I'll buy that for a dollar.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I wish i had a fucking dime....no wait...a nickel.....no...a schilling....for everytime i've heard Pennington say he's changed his throwing mechanics....this is becoming a yearly tradition for him. What's left him for him to adjust??!! is he gonna try throwing underhand this year?!@