If you could change one play in Jets history...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Something that would've put us in to position to pick Lawrence Taylor instead of the Giants. Of course, we'd have picked somebody else noone heard of anyway.

2. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Absolutely. Those are the 2 moments in Jets history that I remember vividly as wishing never happened.

3. 624

624 Banned

4. allan1

allan1 Active Member

ah, but we still would've had to deal with New England in the AFC championship game, maybe even with Quincy Carter at QB.

I'd go with Todd throwing a TD pass instead of an INT to Bill Simpson. We win that game 34-31

5. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

- The Jets front office never wising up to put a decent line in front of O'Brien. Look at that offense at the time - O'Brien, Toon, Walker, Shuler, McNiel. Don't think we have had quality talent like that at all the skill positions with all of those guys in thier PRIME of careers ever since.

- Steve Atwater ending Al Toon's career for good. You can throw in the other aholes who hit Toon in the head also. I honestly believe Toon was better than Jerry Rice straight up as a WR. Talk about a special, special talent.

- Penny's injury against Buffalo tearing rotator cuff for first time.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

here are my gems.......

at the top - bruce harpers fumble of the opening kickoff at shea in the 81-82 WC game with the bills. IMO - that set the tone and the curse started from there - ven though we had several chances to catch them in that game.

a tie for second - the tarp at the orange bowl AND Vinnys achilles in 99.

a close third - victor green getting sucked into a play action against the broncos in 98 playoffs

fourth - gastineaus hit on kosar

fifth - mo lewis nailing bledsoe

geez you can go on and on with this but thats enough for now.

jil

7. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Bingo.:sad:

8. Jet99

Jet99 Member

Fake spike

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

dennis byrd... there is nothing about the jets that is more important than this man losing the use of his legs. you could take all the games in the world, i will take this man not having this life changing moment.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We would have had to still beat NE in NE. Wasn't going to happen.

My choice is definitely the Byrd hit.

11. Murrell2878

He triumphed over the injury. He's walking now, but it was such a devastating play, and we lost out on possibly seeing an amazing career.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

yeah but he still isnt the same and never will be. in my eyes that is the most devastating play i have seen as a jets fan. and the only one i would feel important enough to wish to have been different.

13. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

NO!!! I hate when people use that defeatist attitude. The odds would have been stacked against the Jets no doubt about it but the same can be said for the '68 Jets, even more so. Any team can fall on any given Sunday.

14. Murrell2878

Fine, but we weren't going to the Super Bowl if Brien made those kicks.

15. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

That's true, I can't argue with that. What's done is done there's no changing that. What an insanely depressing thread. Can we have our Superbowl now? K thanks!

16. Murrell2878

Seriously, it's about time we get back to the top

17. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Beaman, I would say yours is an inspired choice (the first one, cause we only get one, right?).

Without the blowing up of Vinnie, we had a real chance.

That's the one, Beaman. Sure enough!

#37 notjustQBs, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

There are so many valid plays listed above, I don't want to repeat them.

Here's a new one. I would change the play in the 1971 preseason game against Detroit when Namath injured his knee making a tackle after a pick. The Jets had a very good team that year and Namath was looking tremendous in camp.

Here's another one. In 1985 the Jets, Dolphins and Pats were all fighting for a division title. Late in the year in a game against Miami, the Jets scored with just over a minute left to take the lead. When Miami got the ball, Bud Carson had the Jets blitz and Marino hit Duper for a long TD to win the game. That loss cost the Jets a division title and a first round bye. I would change that play.

Another one - the play in 1982 when Klecko injured his knee against the Pats. He was the dominant defensive lineman in the NFL at the time and it changed his career.

Just a thought on 1986 vs 2004. The Jets were reeling in 1986, losing their last 5 games. They beat a bad KC team in the wild card game. It was a shocker that they led Cleveland by 10 in that playoff game. The Jets had QB issues and the defense was banged up. On the other hand, the 2004 team was playing better at the end of the year and beat a good SD on the road. I think the 2004 team had a better chance to win the AFC Championship on the road than the 1986 team. I would have Brien make the FG over taking back the Gastineau penalty.

19. Murrell2878

Wasn't that 1984? I was at that game..
    EDIT - maybe it was 82

20. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...The Jets front office never wising up to put a decent line in front of O'Brien. Look at that offense at the time - O'Brien, Toon, Walker, Shuler, McNiel. Don't think we have had quality talent like that at all the skill positions with all of those guys in thier PRIME of careers ever since...."

Well, this should tell you something about what the FO and the CS are actually trying to do about it these days...