Thoughts from the Bunker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AlioTheFool, Apr 28, 2008.

1. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

You are spot on with the Offensive Line...whoever our QB is, he might have 2 more seconds of protection this year. In the NFL, that is an eternity. 2 more seconds and Keller can be in the clear...Although I think Baker has great hands, and is a decent blocker, he isnt a threat to any OLBs matching up against him. I like the pick...he will be good.

2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Clemens seemed to favor the tight ends a lot more than Chad. I have faith in the FO and coaching staff, they would not trade up for a TE if they weren't sure they were going to use him.

3. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

No he doesn't. All statistical measures for TE production were better with Chad behind center. I made a post with all the stats but I can't find it right now. Receptions, yards, and yards per reception were all better in Chad starts. Baker also had by far the best TE performance of the season against NE with Chad at QB.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay, so it seems no one thinks Keller was a bad pick, at worst questionable, but not based on his talent.

Fair enough.

Now how about other positions? How does everyone feel about not taking a corner earlier? How about at WR? Are we really that comfortable with Brad Smith and Chansi Stuckey as our support to Coles/Cotchery? Or perhaps we are viewing less use of a third WR, and using both Baker and Keller in 2 TE sets, with Leon or occasionally TJ out of the backfield?

5. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

I was a little bummed they didn't get Branch or King in time. I would've loved either.

6. ........

........ Trolls

DING DING DING. I was just about to post that exact line. Despite what Tannenbaum says, Keller will be used differently than our TEs were last year simply by virtue of our improved offensive line. Also, whether he lines up as a TE, H Back, WR, etc, his athleticism provides options that weren't there.

OL depth was the one thing I wanted that we didn't address. Aside from doing so in the 6th, though, I'm not sure what more we could have expected with only 6 picks. We needed help up front on defense, we needed an offensive threat, we needed a CB, and we needed a 3rd QB. Let's wait and see what kind of OL depth becomes available in June.

As far as Lowery is concerned, Stanford plays San Jose St every year, so I've seen this kid the past two years in at least the two games. In 2006, SJSU upset Stanford, and this kid was a factor. When he was on Evan Moore, who is 6'7", he absolutely shut him down. When Lowery wasn't matched up, Moore had a couple of huge receptions and 2 TDs. He also picked off Trent Edwards in the end zone, a QB he'll be seeing again. At the time, I had never heard of him and thought he had a chance to be a good CB. I didn't hear much about him this past season, but he at least impressed me in that game.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

Exactly.

What TE did we have with anywhere NEAR Keller's athletic ability?

I don't think some people get how much of a weapon a guy like Keller gives us.

I'd say the Browns, Chargers, and Redskins are all happy with their TE/HBack hybrid.

Theres just too much you can do with a guy like that. Line him up wide. Line him up in the slot. Line him up as a TE. Line him up in the backfield.

Keller is my favorite pick in our draft, and I am a very big Gholston fan.

Overall I'd give our draft a B.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

I was taken aback by the Keller as well pick but it's been growing on me. After thinking about it for awhile and when you put it together with the FA aquisitions this offseason is no lower than a B+. Say what you will about draft but I think the offense is a hell of a lot better for it. I don't think there is an excuse anymore for not being able to do anything when they have the ball. And even though needs weren't directly addressed with the second pick they inadverntly helped the recieving game with Keller and with Vernon + FA's they helped out the secondary. I am a little excited about the season coming.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I have no problem where we took the CB, I was hoping Branch was going to be our pick and he might have been if Oak didnt trade up for him. I thought they took the corner at the right spot and liked that they traded out of the pick when the value didn't match at the top of the 4th. I thought Lowery might have been a bit of a reach but he was obviously their highest rated corner left and if he came out last year would have been a first day pick. I like taking chances on those kind of guys.

It is pretty clear that the FO wanted to come out of the first day with a pass rusher and an offensive playmaker. They did that and it also became clear that they viewed Keller as the guy who could have the biggest impact to our receiving game out of any of the WR prospects. We also got a WR prospect later in the draft that has the potential to win the #3 spot right out of camp and complement Coles and Cotch really nicely.

On paper I really liked the draft, we'll see how it works out. Gholston was never my first choice but the way the top 5 played out was really the only choice. NE didnt get a great package to move down to 10, all they got was a trade up from their 5th to NO's 3rd. We couldn't make that move without the 5th. So I don't know if it would have been worth it to give up clearly the BPA that fills a huge need for around the equivalent of a 4th round pick.

10. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We had 2 day 1 picks, and just like last year, and the year before, got the best player of the draft at 2 positions.

In 2006 we got the best LT (arguably) and the best OC in the draft. Last year we got the best CB and best ILB. This year we got the best OLB and best TE. Not only the best OLB, the best pass rusher in the draft. Not only best TE, but the best receiving threat in the draft. We'll have to play the season to see if that holds up, but it certainly is a stunning trend that Tangini is pulling off. Show me another FO that has done that 3 years running.

I gave the draft a B+ considering the day 2 picks were all excellent value. Could we have used a DE instead of a QB, sure, but I'm not going to argue it because judging by their track record, this FO knows a hell of a lot more than me.

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Give a qb more than 1.8 seconds and then see what he does. You honestly need to understand what the context of this NYJ record is all about. Don't blame the skill players for the OL.

12. sabu75

sabu75 New Member

maybe as bad as the line was baker had to stay in to block

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

How can you say KC is known for not utilizing TEs when he played 8 games last year and the TE was needed for pass protection all the time?

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Penny doesent utilize the TE but Keller is a different type of TE he's more of a Wide Reciever just bigger so i think theres an exception but we will see.