Is it against league rules for the Jets to be on the phone with rookie FA, BEFORE the

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sinjz, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

... the draft is over???

Just heard ESPN say they were on the phone with some guy before the Rams made the final pick of the draft.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I believe it is not against the rules.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Oh Jeeez...Really, think about it...I mean really think hard about what you just asked...

wow.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

actually it is against the rules... they said that on ESPN earlier today.. but regardless no one will ever enforce it, unless of course the Jets contact a guy, and then Mr. Irrelevant becomes that guy because they think the Jets will get him...

5. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

I think ESPN put this pick the best: he has the highest potential out of any player in this draft at any position. But he also has a high "bust" potential.

It really depends how you define "bust" (for me Dwayne Robertson). Let's look at the facts. Last year, he set Ohio State's single season sack record. He was the only player last year to record a sack against the number one overall guard, Jake Long- some one he'll face now twice a year. I'm sure your familiar with his outstanding combine (only 1 rep off the best bench score overall, blazing fast for some one his size).

You gotta take the kid, he's too much of a specimin

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Wrong thread, booger. You make good points though.

7. Francis_Cole

Francis_Cole Active Member

How could you ever enforce it? A players isn't even a UFA by definition until the draft finishes anyway. A team could be calling him to see if he was interested in joining them as they were going to trade back into the draft for him.

8. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

???

I have enough trouble trying to figure out the things you post. Now you want me to think about what I asked???

9. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

That's what I thought I've heard before. I was surprised to hear ESPN just throw it out there. Was just afraid we'd get penalized somehow....

10. mesheler

mesheler Member

The tricky part is that at the point in time when the call was made, the draft picks were compensatory (and therefore un-tradable!) If it WAS the Jets on the phone, an argument could be made for tampering.

That said, I doubt anyone will charge the Jets unless the Patriots get wind of it...

Could Bellicheck REALLY be that petty?

11. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

How is it possible to be against the rules to talk to a free agent BEFORE he is drafted?

12. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

I don't think you could call it tampering because technically the player's rights don't belong to anyone yet.

13. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

Is that a real question?! We all know the answer is YES!!!

14. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

I don't think it's as bad as 'tampering', but technically those rookies weren't FAs yet. The draft was still going on....

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

So, did the Jets tamper with Darren McFadden when they talked to him before the draft?

16. mesheler

mesheler Member

Believe me, I see the point. I am just throwing it out there that it was impossible for the Jets to draft him at that point (when the call took place.) So they were having a conversation with a player that they could not draft BEFORE he technically became a FA. It is not unlike when the situation that occurred with Briggs and the 49ers earlier this offseason.

Is it a stretch? Absolutely! But can the argument be made IF that was the Jets on the phone? Yes!

17. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

I know it's not tampering, but I worry the league will look at it like talking to a FA before the Free agency period begins or something. I only brought it up because I swear I heard it was against the rules. I'm sure EVERYBODY does it, but ESPN outted us doing it on TV....

We're the Jets, so I'm always worried about us getting screwed! :(

18. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I agree that your original post wasn't stupid but this rule never gets enforced.