McFadden Criticism

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Chadwick I, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ........

........ Trolls

Now that you mention the name, I remember that game. I remember wondering who the hell the kid was after his second score, and then forgetting when he faded back into obscurity.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

if he's there take him and move Thomas Jones

3. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

Yep, thats the guy. Thx

4. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Well I don't think Jonathan Carter blew out his knee. The guy couldn't catch ...... that's a big thing when it comes to Wide Receivers and return men.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

There is a sound argument that would say you pass on him because his father played for the same franchise.

Chris is going to have enough pressure on him anyway. Now he has to live up to what his father did.

If I was Chris I would not want to be drafted by the Raiders for this reason. Well, and also because it is now a dreadful organization.

6. Iversonheels

Iversonheels New Member

I didnt want bush. I wanted Ferguseon. I think McFaddeden will be fine, he wont be the next Barry or LT but he will good enough to help us win a SB in a few years

7. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Experts differ on McFadden
    Bob Glauber
    April 20, 2008

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spglaub205657374apr20,0,3902352.column

If commissioner Roger Goodell walks up to the microphone at Saturday's NFL draft and says the words "With the sixth pick in the draft, the Jets select Darren McFadden, running back, Arkansas," Jets fans no doubt will howl with approval.

But Brian Baldinger won't be so quick to offer his stamp of approval. The former Eagles offensive lineman-turned-NFL commentator believes McFadden will not come close to living up to the predraft hype.

"I think he's the colossal bust in this draft," said Baldinger, now an analyst for Fox, the NFL Network and Sporting News Radio. "He doesn't run with patience. He's a very incomplete back who tries to run you over. If he gets a crease, he can take it to the house. But he doesn't break tackles and he fumbles. I'm not impressed."

McFadden has drawn raves from plenty of NFL scouts who have studied him, particularly the Jets'. If McFadden gets past the Raiders, who have the fourth overall pick, it's very possible the Jets will take the Arkansas star, who has wowed scouts with his 4.33 speed in the 40-yard dash.

But Baldinger isn't the only one expressing doubt about McFadden.

"I can't believe how skinny his calves and his shins are," one scout said of McFadden. "It's almost scary. It's like a skinny wide receiver. At the running back position, you want a guy who's a little wider on his base. [McFadden] is built on top, but he's got a very skinny base. I think that's a little bit of a concern."

Not enough of a concern to force McFadden out of the top six of the draft, apparently.

The Jets appear enamored of McFadden, even though there are questions about his personal background. McFadden is awaiting judgments on whether he is the father of two children out of wedlock (he says he has tested negative in one of the cases) and was involved in two off-field incidents. He was injured in a fight in July 2006 and required surgery to repair a fractured left toe. And in January, he briefly was handcuffed by police during a fight at a bar in Little Rock, Ark. He was released without being charged.

Jets director of college scouting Joey Clinkscales said McFadden's off-field issues would not stand in the way of his selection. "If we draft a player, we've checked out his character thoroughly," Clinkscales said. "If [McFadden] is the pick we choose to make, we'll be comfortable with that decision."

The Jets also like Troy cornerback Leodis McKelvin, who is emerging as the top defensive back in the draft.

The circumstances are similar to the 2006 draft, when speedy running back Reggie Bush was perceived to be the top choice. Texans general manager Charlie Casserly chose North Carolina defensive end Mario Williams, a top pick that eventually led to Casserly's ouster but one that has since been debated because of Bush's ineffectiveness and Williams' emergence last season. Casserly also passed on Texas quarterback Vince Young.

"To me, this is an exact parallel to that draft," Casserly said. "You've got the quarterback in Matt Ryan, the runner in McFadden and the defensive end in either [Chris] Long or [Vernon] Gholston. To me, McFadden is better than Bush, Ryan is better than Young and Mario Williams is better than any of the defensive ends."

Why McFadden over Bush?

"[McFadden] will run inside, and he's bigger," Casserly said. "He's not a power back, but when I watch him, there's no reluctance to run inside. At times, he'll miss the hole, but I've seen him lower his shoulder and knock a safety or linebacker back. He has more production against better teams than Bush. Pac-10 defenses weren't very good. [McFadden] has played in the SEC against the best college teams in the country and he's been productive over a three-year period. I think that's the clear difference."

There's no doubt in McFadden's mind. "I feel like I'm the best player in the draft," McFadden said at the scouting combine. "I can do a lot of different things. I can go out there and line up at receiver, I can line up in the backfield and block, line up back there and run, I can throw a pass if you need me to. If I had to, I could play defense."

That won't be necessary. The only thing McFadden has to do now is run. Jets fans hope they get the chance to see it happen. But if Baldinger is right, it could be Blair Thomas all over again. :eek:hmy:

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Casserly is right and Matt Ryan is better then Young, he has to be selected if available.

9. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I love these articles that try to take some of the life out of players who are deemed as great young prospects. Nothing new here, he fumbles and has skinny legs. Yep, I agree there's cause for concern. This isn't a comparison to Tiki Barber's style of running, but wasn't he a fumbling machine a few years back?! Amazing what a little coaching, technique and practice could do for a player. Aside from the off-field issues, if the worse things for DMC is fumbling and skinny legs that I'd take that risk.

IMO, all these points about DMC not being impressive get shut down by the fact that he played in the SEC. That alone makes me feel pretty good about drafting him and making this guy be a part of the New York Jets.

10. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

VY is garbage in the NFL now, teams figured out that if you just keep him in the pocket he doesnt have the intelligence or skill to read and make the correct throws. Hes Micheal Vick without the dogs or the rifle arm.

Sure his arm is adequate but teams have figured him out and shut him down.

Matt Ryan will be a good pro imo but i dont want him because i still feel that Kellen can be a good pro and we didnt give him enought of a chance.

If not there will always be a qb next year, and dont give me that the class next year sucks cuz someone will step up and become a good pro qb.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not the biggest Vince Young supporter on this site but he is a much better quarterback then anyone we have on the roster right now. If MattRyan is an improvement over Young who is an improvement over Penny/Clemens then sign me up, draft him and solve the biggest question mark left on our team.

I don't buy the argument of we can wait till next year to draft a QB, all that does is set us back another year. The CS should have an idea if Clemens can be the future, all signs point to them thinking he can't be. If they dont think he can be then they need to get that guy this draft or else they won't get the chance to find that kind of QB as they will be out of a job.

12. McFadden5Jets

McFadden5Jets New Member

Just draft an explosive offensive player once in my lifetime already

im getting tired of these front defensive busts

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ive watched majority of his career since i live in the south so SEC and ACC games are on alot. McFadden has power, trust me. theres plenty of times he goes fullspeed into 2 guys and drags them a few yards before goin down. theyre just the 6-10 yard runs that dont make the reel cuz he has so many 30+ and 40+ runs.

for anyone who isnt a fan of nabbing mcfadden i pose this. thomas jones will be gone soon and looking into the big picture nothing would be better than to have mcfadden and leon rotating at RB. defenses would be so tired its ridiculous. McFadden will be good just about anywhere. as long as theres solid QB play on his team and D's cant constantly key on him. even than hes sick. the guy imposes his will on teams.

gimicky offense or not, alot of the games u see defenses floating too him as soon as the balls snapped cuz they know hes getting it, but hes so fast and has such vision its almost irrelevant if they know where the plays going. thatll obviously change in the pros but when u see someone make that seem regular in the SEC you gotta be impressed.

ill be happy with gholston or mcfadden or even Sweed. people can say what they want but I think Sweed will be a legit star in this league. i dont see any trade down scenarios cuz the people looking to trade up for a remaining DT wil be able to nab him due to the lack of DT need for the teams picking in front of them so trade leverage is almost a joke.

or dominique rodgers cromartie. the combination of size and speed at CB is scary much like his cousin.

14. Chadwick I

Chadwick I Member

This probably isn't too important but the Jets never said that McFadden passed their character checks. They said that if they picked him, that meant that he had passed their checks. It's a nuance that a lot of the sportswriters haven't quite picked up or stressed in their rush to make a headline.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

It's not like it's hard to be better than Vince Young as a passer...

16. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

He didn't squat all through College??!! Holy sh*t, the squat is the mother of all strength/bulking exercises and there really is no substitute.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What are you 8 years old? Bryan Thomas and Dewayne Roberston are the last "front defensive" players after 2000.

John Abraham and Shaun Ellis weren't busts, and Bryan Thomas now fits well in Mangini's 3-4 defense. Dewayne Roberston is now considered a bust, but he never misses time due to injury, and he is most likely going to be traded this weekend. Jonathan Vilma was excellent for us in the 4-3, but he's not here anymore either...

This game is won in the trenches. Teams need powerful, solid offensive and defensive lines to control the game...

It's not Madden, it's REAL.

I'd like to see Darren McFadden become a Jet too, but I wouldn't be upset if Chris Long or Vernon Gholston were chosen. In fact, I'd take Chris Long over any prospect in this year's draft.

Actually, I hope we don't draft McFadden, just so I don't have to see your bullshit posts anymore, because everyone knows that when we don't land Arkansas' #5, you're going to switch right back to being a Chargers fan, or a Patriots fan.

I bet you liked the Falcons until Michael Vick messed up...because he was an "explosive offensive player". I heard he's pretty explosive in those two hand touch prison games.

18. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Anyway, I'm just not too keen on taking a running back this early.

Blair Thomas anyone?

19. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Defense, defense, take somebody to upgrade the defense at No. 6.

20. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

we have drafted an "explosive offensive player" in your life time. His name is Leon Washington.

Ryan over McFadden. Twice on tuesdays.

If your going to take a RB, take Mendenhall. McFadden has bust written all over him.

#60 fake_crs, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008