Which guy being available is best for trading down?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tangini_disciple, Apr 18, 2008.

?

Which player would fetch the most for trading down from 6 if available?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2008.
  1. Jake Long

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Chris Long

14 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Darren McFadden

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Glenn Dorsey

17 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Sedrick Ellis

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Matt Ryan

15 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. Vernon Gholston

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Keith Rivers

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

Personally, I think Jake Long would have the most suitors for trading down and for getting the best price. The suitors include teams like the Eagles, Ravens, Bengals.

You could make a case for Matt Ryan, given the Panthers and Ravens both want him.

#1 tangini_disciple, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. smelly_joe

smelly_joe New Member

jake long, absolutely, teams would kill for that kinda instant upgrade to their o-lines, cant imagine a scenario where 5 teams pass on him... and then us

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Either Long would get a good return. So would DMC, but I have to go with Chris Long.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

DMC is your best bet in trading down. You can also get suitors on either Long and Gholston if they were to fall. Matt Ryan would get some possible offers - especially if KC trades with NE. Baltimore might want to jump ahead of KC to take Ryan.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

A QB is always the best trading chip. Only one team needs to see him as a franchise QB to garner interest.

6. tangini_disciple

Interesting poll results so far. Don't you need 2 teams interested in the same player to get some value?

Here are the guys that look like they could fall:

DMC, C. Long, Gholston, Ellis, Ryan

I'm sure two of these guys will be available since J. Long and Dorsey are near locks. It looks like the Saints/Bengals love Ellis, Ravens/Panthers love Ryan, Cowboys/Raiders like DMC, but the two DE/LB's, I don't really see a market for. Who'd trade up for Long or Gholston?

7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I'd Say Matt Ryan... because there are multiple teams who are looking at him to be a Franchise QB... playing them off one another and excepting the highest bidders off will yield the greatest return...

Ravens
    Panthers
    Bears

Just a few that I'd think would be most interseted in his services.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jake Long is by far the most valuable player who could still be available on the 6. Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey would be the other two guys who would probably draw offers from people to trade up to the 6. I don't expect any of them to be there though. We'll see one of Gholston, McFadden or Ryan there with the big 3 long gone.

9. I just love how the anti dmac people have finally come to grips that he'll be the best player available at # 6...but rather than acknowledge that...now our only option is trading down.

It really is a joke.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Don't worry, we won't be trading down. Not unless we do it before the draft anyway.

11. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

If we were left with a choice between Jake Long or Gholston I woud cry myself to sleep with happiness!

12. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Oddly, I think it would be Dorsey, because Denver, NO, & Cincy could all use a DT, and only 2 top notch DTs are worth picks that high.

13. tangini_disciple

Weird... If the poll results tell me anything thus far, it's that there are 5 players who have some value to other teams and could be leveraged into trading down:

J. Long, C. Long, McFadden, Dorsey, Ryan

How do people feel about a trade down if one of these guys is left but take Gholston if these five are gone?

also, with so many teams below us not really wanting Gholston, if he falls past us, he might very well go into the teens before being picked.

#13 tangini_disciple, Apr 18, 2008
  14. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

gholston will not make it into the teens...a team can always find a reason to draft a DE(unlike a qb or rb)
    i voted for dorsey...

#14 thegoldengod, Apr 18, 2008
  15. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Now thats funny... I certainly don't think he's the best player in the draft, and hope that he wont be drafted by us... and we discussed this in another thread, what my gripes with him are... I said I'd welcome him if we do draft him, but hope we pass on him and trade out. He will have the most value if he is there at 6, mostly because that means the other 5 guys ... they were already drafted.

16. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Some of these choices are not realistic i.e. Long, Dorsey. I think Ellis can fetch something. Like said above, Cincy, New Orleans, Denver, Carolina, Detroit could all use a DT and there's a big drop off between him and the next guy. Plus teams will fear the pats taking him and will want to get in front of them. If we are not in love with DMC, Gholston or C Long or they are all gone...Ellis is our best bet to get value.

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Someone tell me the last time a team traded into the top 10 picks to pick a running back?

18. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

really it depends on how far trading down the teams 9-12 need a DT after that you got teams needing OL or HB. I voted Jake Long the line is always the way to go.

19. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

We need to have a reality check here with what 5 star players will be left. You will be loking at McFadden or Ryan.McFadden still there at 6 will not cause a stampede of GM's calling the Jets. I believe because of character issues he'll still be there at 6 and may very well drop like a stone. Tying up $25M in a player who might be indicted or fighting paternity with several women over the football season would be a nonstarter for many NFL teams. Ryan is intriguing because teams like Baltimore,Atlanta and even Miami might get nervous when teams needing a QB near their time slot. Giving up a 3rd round pick is small potatoes when talking about your new starting QB.

20. kellypkjoe

kellypkjoe New Member

None but Rivers and Ellis will be still available if we trade down. If you want to poll put players who might syill be their for the taking. Jack Long???? will either be the 1st or second pick.