Cimini's Blog: List of draft prosepects scheduled to visit the Jets...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, Apr 13, 2008.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Per Rich Cimini's blog at NY Daily News website...

"Every team is allowed to invite a maximum of 30 prospects to their facility before the draft, and many of the top players will be criss-crossing the country this coming week. It?s a final chance for teams to interview potential picks, give them medical exams and, basically, kick the tires before D-Day, April 26. The Jets will have an impressive list of visitors. It includes:

DE/LB Vernon Gholston, Ohio State :beer:
    DE/LB Quentin Groves, Auburn
    LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee (his stock is rising)
    CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
    RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas :up:
    T/G Branden Albert, Virginia (stock rising) :mad:
    CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech
    RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois :up:
    CB Tracy Porter, Indiana"

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Interesting that this list either has high first rounders who we could take at 6 (Gholston, McKlevin, McFadden, Albert, Mendenhall) or possible early 2nd rounders (Groves, Mayo, Flowers, Porter) who we could take with our 2nd, but no one in between (i.e. nobody we could trade down for in the 1st).

3. I'd be happy w/ any of those players being a Jet. Although only 2 of them at # 6.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It would be sweet if Mayo fell to 36 and we could pair him with Harris.

5. Jmart

Jmart New Member

Does anyone have a list of the players that have already met with the Jets? I like seeing Flowers on the list. He may not be the fastest but this kid knows how to play the game. He's physical.

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I wish we could get a WR to interview with, it gives us an indication that we arent going to get one in the 1st 2 rds somewhere.....Unless the management is throwing some sort of monster smokescreen and have a private interview with a WR somewhere.

7. JetsFanInIowa

JetsFanInIowa New Member

It's disappointing to not see a WR coming in, I agree. However, I'm hoping the Mayo, Albert, and Mendenhall invites are geared toward a hopeful trade down scenario. I dont think any of those three (maybe Albert) are deserving of the 6th overall. I would have no problem drafting those players if we traded down into the 10-15 range, as we have been rumored to be inquiring about.

Then hopefully Flowers, Groves, and Porter are being looked at for the second round choice, although thats where I'd like to see a James Hardy invite. I'd also be very dissapointed if we decided to address the cornerback position in the second round and landed on Porter... There are better options out there with that pick.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Many players have been drafted by a team without going on these interviews. I don't necessarily think this means that much.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

I'm pretty sure Kentwan Balmer visited or will visit us too.

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If McKelvin pronounced his first name "Lettuce", and we drafted him, we would then have to draft Mayo in the 2nd round. Then draft that kid Tom Tomatomustard from Georgia in the 3rd.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...kill yourself

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'm pretty sure this is only a partial list. At least no Matt Ryan.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

nah that was funny until the tomato reference. Lettuce and Mayo on the same team would be awesome- like on a hamburger.

14. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Some interviews were probably done at the Combine and pro days..Eric and Mike we can all agree will exercise their due diligence before draft day.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

16. lightning

lightning Active Member

...kill yourself? A little on the extreme side?

17. JetsFanInIowa

JetsFanInIowa New Member

Porter is not the choice. Granted I'm from Iowa, but with my homer glasses fully removed, I'd like to endorse CB, Charles Godfrey from the Hawkeyes. Is about 6'0 and ran a 4.37 at his pro day. I think he is basically ideal physically, and with mangini's grooming.... I think he could be a stud

He performed well at the combine, and was the Hawkeyes ONLY legit DB option. Led the team in picks, and while he is a little raw, he progressed immensely over his last two years when he was starting and played very well.