Rashard Mendenhall??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DougBrien'sABum, Apr 13, 2008.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Top-Notch thinking!! Excellent post!!

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

People disagree over player values and potential. That is why there are so many variations of mock drafts out there. As to your first point, I just don't think McFadden is the BPA at #6. He played in a spread offense, which opens up the field and creates running lanes that don't exist in the NFL. He goes down on first contact too often. He has not demonstrated the ability to catch the ball. He fumbles. He runs upright, which is a recipe for disaster.

As for your comment on Harvey being worthy only of the 9th pick and not the 6th, that is just silly. If the JETS' board has Harvey higher than McFadden (and I think it will), then he is worthy of the 6th pick. This is not an exact science. Many players picked later in round 1 will be better than those picked earlier.

As for your discussion of why the Jets' pass rush will be better - I agree that it will be better, but a 5 sack increase is woefully inadequate. The Jets about 15-20 more sacks. That means your five and another 10+ from a pure pass rusher - a player offenses have to account for - such as Gholston or Long or Harvey.

I can also use the same analysis with the running game that you used with the pass rush. You need to consider:

1. The acquisition of Faneca and Woody plus Callahan as OL coach will greatly improve the run blocking. Thomas Jones was signed last year to rejuvenate the running game. With the new OL, he should easily gain another 300+ yards putting him at 1400 yards. Washington already has game breaking ability, and with the new OL, he should more opportunities for big plays on draws, screens and regular running plays making McFadden superfluous.

2. The improved OL will lead to better pass blocking. A better passing game will also improve the running game because defenses will no longer be able to put 8 in the box. It will also open up the play action that has been missing since 2004.

3. There is no reason why the Jets can't address any perceived lack of playmakers in rounds 2-7. There are plenty of guys out there that can carry the rock that will be available in later rounds.

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Mcfadden Mendenhall I just really don't see the Jets picking up another RB we have so many other positions that need more depth before RB. Plus with a draft so deep at the position if Tangini was even thinking of drafting a RB they would wait until the later rounds.

I feel we are going to trade our 6th overall if Gholston or C Long isn't there, so I think if anything we would draft a RB with one of our 2nds or 3rds we pick up in the trade is the organization really really thinks we need one.

4. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I understand Gholston over McFadden, and I understand McFadden over Gholston. But if you think DMC is elite at the level of Adrian Peterson, you have to take him. That's too much of a help to a team that lacks a playmaker. TJ is a solid back, but there's a reason everyone ends up replacing him.

OLB isn't a major need either. It would be great to have another pass rusher, but if McFadden is on another level of a prospect than Gholston, you'd have to take him. Of course, if you don't think that way, Gholston suddenly makes sense.

5. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

Swap picks, and take this guy..............He is a monster.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Mark my words, Mendenhall is not going to get out of the top 10 and we're in the bottom half of it. Picking Mendenhall is not going to be a reach at six after he makes his presence felt on the field.

The guy is a beast with a nose for the endzone. He's the type of back that is going to punish defenders and make them hurt. McFadden looks like the better pick right now but he does not have the build to take the load as an every down back in the NFL. He does his best work in open space which is not going to be easy to find in the pros where the defenses are faster and much more aggressive. He's also top heavy and doesn't have the lower body strenght to compensate for him. His leg muscles are too small, he has almost no calves. He's much better suited to play WR than RB in the pros.

7. flgreen

flgreen New Member

I suppose you can look at it that way, or you can look at it from the stand point of McFadden being over hyped by a lot of lazy media types much in the same way Bush was a few years ago.

I guess the GM's will decide with their careers on the line

8. I guess our main disagreement isnt need vs. Bpa like I thought it was. Our main disagreement is over the actual player's values. And you're right, that sort of thing happens all the time. By all accounts I like Gholston, Harvey, Groves and all the other pass rushers in this draft.

But I continue to disagree w/ you about McFadden. The fact that he doesnt initiate contact and is more of an elusive/speed runner to me is a GOOD thing. Most NFL gm's PREFER a running back like that b/c the less contact they have, the less chance there is for injury, fumbles and obviously a greater chance for a big play. As for you being confident that the jets have Harvey rated higher than DMAC...i'm not so sure...according to Gil brandt(Who i trust more than any other media source or draft expert) at least 21 NFL gm's have Mcfadden as the # 1 player on their board. I'm willing to bet the other teams have him at least in their top 3. Unfortunately Harvey isn't even the top pass rusher in the draft, nevermind a top 3 big board guy.

You make valid points about the improved running game...I agree w/ them all. Additionally, as previously stated I agree that the running game is not ouyr greatest need. My original point was simply that although McFadden may not fill our biggest need...he WOULD make our football team better, and again, would give us a long term answer after TJ who is about to go over the dreaded 30 for RB'S.

IMO, when you're drafting...all you can ask is that when you make a selection, the giveen player is at the top of your board, and ideally helps the team from day one. We obviously disagree about the BPA portion w/ DMAC, but it's hard to disagree that he'd be a contributor early.

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Agree - in a trade down Mendenhall is a fantastic pick

10. JetsLookingforDWare

My issue with McFadden is that he's not very quick in his cuts. I'm not sure how right I am, but IMO this is a sign of a poor center of gravity and a real lack of power in the legs.

The one thing no one seems to bring up about Arkansas is just how dominant their O-line was. On almost every big McFadden run, the guy isn't even touched until the second or even third level. Of course, his speed is also a key into that, but personally I like a RB with speed, power, and a durable build if I'm drafting one top 10.

Not that I think McFadden will be a bad player, but as far as RBs go I can't help but look for the ideal. McFadden won't be able to just take it to the outside in the NFL. A team picking in the top 10 isn't going to have that dominant O-line either, and that O-line was a huge reason he was effective running up the middle...though he's definitely easier to stuff there anyway.

Plus...I think his versatility was overrated because both Mendenhall and Stewart are capable of doing what he was asked to do at Ark IMO. He's actually got the worst hands of the 3 (again IMO), and I haven't been impressed at all when I've heard him talk. Both Mendenhall and Stewart blend size, speed, and power that allows them to gain something where there is nothing, while McFadden will rely heavily on his O-line to create the holes for him to blow through. He's not as patient as they are either...

That said, I'd be happy as hell if we drafted him....call it blind faith in our regime.

11. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I like Rivers alot myself. He seems to have a quickness seldom seen with most Linebackers, and possessing a great nose for the ball. I wouldn't mind it at all if they took him at no. 6. Harvey seems likely who they'll pick if Jake Long, Chris Long, Darren McFadden, Vernon Gholston, and Glenn Dorsey are all gone. Sedrick Ellis seems unlikely, due to our needs now, but I like defense alot more in this year's draft although my heart says we should take McFadden if he's there.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There's a chance the sky will fall too and the odds are about the same.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Curtis Martin had all those negative traits too and nowhere near the speed McFadden has. He did ok. His versatility is not over rated. Hell he was a QB before he became a RB and he can catch the ball out of the backfield better than any true HB the Jets have ever had. He's not rated the best player in the draft, by everybody who counts, for nothing.

#33 Don, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  14. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

i agree, also if were gonna draft a rb early it has to be d-mac and d-mac only

15. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

even if he isn't available, we draft him anyway... DMAC only... come on... he's not the only player in this draft, nor is he the only QUALITY RB in the draft

16. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

you misunderstood, rb is not the most impressive need, so if we do draft one early it would have to be that game changer back

17. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

right... game changer... they grow on trees to from what I hear... If we end up with Mendenhall, consider us lucky to get a back that caliber

18. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

I couldn't agree more! Hes a great back and would really be a great back to rotate with Jones and Washington and to feature once Jones is gone.

19. Oh, make no mistake about it..Mendenhall is a GREAT RB prospect. He dosnt have the breakaway speed or playmaking ability of DMAC...but he's a fantastic prospect in his own right and would most def. help us in alot of ways.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

You're right on the game speed, but I think Mendenhall will be just as versatile as McFadden as a pro...maybe even better because he's got excellent hands.