ENOUGH ALREADY: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mr Electric, Apr 13, 2008.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You know how I feel about Ghoston. Read my posts!! Can be a terror, but lacks that desire to be an every down football player. It's kind of funny, I'm not in the minority with my opinion. I respect your opinion, even though I strongly disagree, repect mine. Quite a few scouts, OSU Fans, and Jet fans feel the same way as I do about VG.

Like I told you months ago....prove me wrong next year after Gholston's Full body of work in the NFL.

Let's see how Tangini feels in less than 2 weeks. I'm a Jet fan, if the Jets draft Gholston I won't be pissed, I will support the Jet' and VG, but will be concerned.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He wasn't making money to play at Ohio State...sure he got to go to school for free, but he wasn't getting money for luxury cars, and a mansion. Money is a damn good motivator.

I think he'll step up his game in the NFL. He has the ability and measurables to dominate in the 3-4.

I still don't see how any of you can project a I-AA workout warrior corner ahead of a I-A sack machine like Vernon Gholston.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think the last sentence could look very foolish after both players have been in the league fo a couple years. DRC is a legit CB prospect. His size, speed, and athleticism are better than any DB in this draft. His performance in the senior bowl erased doubts about his ability to tackle or to perform against top competition. Any prospect has some peotential to bust but Gholsten has to do more than flex his biceps to succeed in the NFL.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

A solid performance in one game does NOT matter.

5. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I'm in the same boat. I like Gholston but don't love him. But let's be honest, if he already was everything he CAN be, Parcells would have him signed already. Being an Ohio State guy, you might know this, he has a reputation of being a different kind of guy. His personality gets described in 2 different ways. He is sometimes described as an intellectual, other times as odd. He is one of those guys you look at and say"Is playing football his favorite thing to do?". I've often found in sports (football especially) players are WAY less motivated after they get paid than before. So do you hand over a guy with questionable desire but unlimited ability that much money?

6. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

We get it. You do not like DRC.

7. James Hasty

A solid performance in one game got Lynn Swan into the HOF.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Actually...Lynn Swann is in the Hall of Fame because he was one of the best players in the 1970s, and he won 4 Super Bowls with the Steelers. He didn't have huge stats, but he was still one of the best players at his position, and deserves to be in the Hall.

It's not all about stats.

9. drnyjets

drnyjets New Member

Did you even watch the senior bowl. He was great during the senior bowl practices and was dominant in the game. Gholston on the other hand had a so so senior year, but did well in the combine drills. I think that Gholston has the biggest potential to be a bust we don't know how he would even do as an OLB in a 3-4. I still think that the draft pick that would have the greatest impact on this team would be Leodis McKelvin or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Okay pal...read the post, and then question if I watched the Senior Bowl.

For the 30th time...it's one week, and one game, and one great workout. ONE.

Gholston had a "so-so" year? You can't be serious. He had 14 sacks...that's not so-so. His performance against Jake Long alone earned him the right to be picked in the top 10.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Electric......to be fair, you say DRC was one game........so was Gholston...one game against Jake Long(to make the top 10).............Seems like a Double Standard???

12. James Hasty

Lynn Swan was a good receiver but he wasn't one of the best stars of the 80s. If it wasn't for that one SB (SB 10) against the Cowboys where he put on a show he wouldn't be in the HOF.

13. I dont have much concern about DRC as a prospect, mainly b/c CB is the ONE position where you look at physical skills more than anything else. There are too many outside factors at CB to judge a player based on solely college performance(pass rush, defensive scheme, competition) and the vertical,speed, hips, etc def. matter.

The only objection I have on him, and it's the same thing w/ Mckelvin, is that I dont beleve in taking a corner in the top 10(in our case at # 6) unless they project as a # 1 true shut down corner. Those type of prospects come around once every 5 years or so...and even than..they usually go in the 12-15 range(see Revis who could fall within that category). If DRC or LM are who we really want....we need to trade down to the 10-12 range.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He was an All-Pro during most of the 70s. He made the Hall of Fame because he was one of the better players of his era.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Gholston didn't get all 14 sacks in one game, but he have his best game against the best offensive lineman in the country.

16. James Hasty

Not true.

He made three pro bowls in his entire career.

He had one hell of a game in SB 10 and that got him over the top.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Swann was selected to only 3 Pro Bowls, but he was also selected as an All-Pro during those Pro-Bowl years of 1975, 1977, and 1978.

He's a member of the 1970's All-Decade team, and he won 4 Super Bowls.

Lynn Swann deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Stop trying to take that away from him.

18. James Hasty

Perhaps Swann wasn't the best example. When a player has an outstanding performance in a big game his stock will rise. Teams will evaluate a player based upon one game. Some players like Mark Rypen have gotten rewarded with huge contracts because of a Superbowl performance. I remember the Raiders overpaying cornerback Larry Brown after he got the Superbowl MVP award (didn't do a damn thin in Oakland to justify his contract).

Hell, Justin McCarrens cost the Jets a second round pick because on one play in one game where he burned us for a score.

19. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

No, but he did get half his sacks in two games. I'm of the opinion that no CB is worth the #6 pick. I'd prefer McFadden over Gholston as McFadden was clearly the best player on the field (nearly) every game he played, Gholston managed that once, maybe twice.

(Before you ask, I watched a couple of Gholston's games including the Michigan game and a few of McFadden's games.)

Draft Dish: Film reviews hurt DE Gholston
    April 13, 2008

Russ Lande

There has been great media buzz about the value of Ohio State defensive end/outside linebacker Vernon Gholston shooting up draft boards after his great individual workout, but when it comes to teams meeting and settling on their final rankings, he is not as high as many would expect.

The NFL teams focused primarily on game film evaluation have become disappointed with Gholston's inconsistent production in college. He doesn't show the necessary first-step explosiveness to consistently come hard on the edge pass rush, shows little variety with his moves and has clearly shown up as neither competing nor playing his hardest on every snap.

So while Gholston's stock is tapering off a bit, another pass-rushing defensive end, Clemson's Phillip Merling, is benefiting by teams closely studying film, on which Merling shows up as a more complete player.

Merling also is short on first-step explosiveness to get around the corner, but unlike Gholston, he has an expansive repertoire of pass-rush moves, which he combines well with his hands, strength and leverage to consistently beat offensive tackles and pressure quarterbacks. In addition, there is no question that Merling plays with real passion and intensity on every snap.

It's still likely that Gholston gets drafted ahead of Merling in the first round, it's no longer a sure thing. When the discussion gets to Gholston, it has brought up memories of Mike Mamula -- as a workout star who has been greatly overvalued as a football player.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I want Darren McFadden as well. I just started this thread because people were bashing Vernon Gholston for being a workout warrior, when Rodgers-Cromartie is just that.

If McFadden is gone however...and we can't trade out, Gholston has to be the pick.