Kiper's Newest Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by plasticsloth, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

This whole "McFadden can't break tackles" nonsense is getting out of hand, just because he doesn't run with as much power Mendenhall or Stewart doesn't make him a scat back.

If you guys watched him play and didn't just repeat what Mike Mayock keeps saying you would know this.

2. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico New Member

please, please, please be there at 6 gholston. we need pass rush. with pace and gholston on the edges, jenkins drawing a double team in front of a blitzing harris, our front 7 is gonna look a THOUSAND times better than last year.

3. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

That trade won't happen, you can get the 2 firsts no doubt, but not with barber, the whole point of getting mcFadden is so they can run a two back offense, like in the past. Also the 2 firsts is pretty close on value, might sneak out a 4th or 5th as well, but not a player like barber

4. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Yeah, I don't see why they would trade a pro bowl running back (and 2 first rounders) for an unproven rookie just because the owner likes him.

If they trade I don't think Barber would be involved.

5. bigbeast

bigbeast New Member

Last time I checked Gholston played DE not LB. Who knows if he can cut it in coverage?

6. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Dallas knows what they've got in Marion Barber III.

This man made the Pro Bowl last year as a back-up. And he deserved to, as well.

Plus they just dumped Julius Jones.

7. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Coverage? Who cares about that? would you rather Gholston covers WR, RB'S OR TE'S 10-15 yrds downfield or buries the QB for a 7 yrd loss? IF Gholston and DMC are both there I hope we go GHolston.If anyone watched what the Giants pressure did to Brady, you will know that the answer is as many rushers as possible.If we want to compete with NE, we will have to have people in Brady's face all day.

8. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

I would not take OT Long even if he was still there at the 6th pick. Why are people obsessing over the offensive line now? I know it was horrible last year but we spent a lot on the line during FA its time to spend our first round pick and money else where. I wouldn't mind taking a OL later in the draft but no more big money and top pick on a offensive lineman.........

9. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

A Lb has to be able to cover at least somwhat, otherwise you get destroyed on the qb just dumping it over his head to a wide open player.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Considering how few college teams run a 3-4, that's going to be a concern with just about every potential 3-4 OLB prospect. This is not to dismiss the importance of coverage, but if you feel he can be a pro bowl caliber pass rusher, you take him without question and hope to develop the other areas of his game.

11. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

I completely agree. He is a madman.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He'll be able to cut it in coverage, i think he has the athleticism... but the defensive package can have him blitzing and someone else picking up the route.

13. akibud

akibud Active Member

....... I am curious, can someone post Kiper's big board, the players he ranks in order of talent. I am curious where he ranks Mcfadden. I have come to respect Mkie mayocks opinion over the last 3 or 4 drafts, and he does not even have Mcfadden in his top 20 players. For the reasons he's given, I tend to agree with him.

14. All signs point to the raiders taking Gholston who is as much of a physical speciman as McFadden is.

15. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

* Asterisk denotes underclassman

1. *Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (6-foot-1, 208) | Previous: Same
    The reasons for his dynamic performances throughout his career are excellent vision, very good balance, game-breaking speed and a passion for the game.

2. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College (6-4, 223) | Previous: 3
    He has the size and arm to wow the NFL brass during testing.

3. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU (6-2, 292) | Previous: 2
    Disruptive force along the interior. If there is one non-skill position player fans should watch, it's Dorsey: He always makes plays or opens up space for his teammates.

4. Chris Long, DE, Virginia (6-4, 282) | Previous: 5
    A 3-4 defensive end with great bloodlines who understands leverage and uses his hands as well as any D-lineman in the country.

5. Jake Long, OT, Michigan (6-6, 320) | Previous: 4
    Top-drawer left or right tackle prospect.

6. Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC (6-1, 297) | Previous: Same
    Tampa Bay Bucs-style DT with superior quickness and a nonstop motor.

7. *Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio St. (6-3, 262) | Previous: 8
    He took his play to a new level in 2007, showcasing the explosiveness to overpower offensive tackles at the point of attack. Gholston also has excellent closing speed, as evidenced by the 14 sacks he registered. He also has the versatility to play with his hand off the ground.

8. *Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas (6-1, 193) | Previous: 7
    A game-changing cover corner who had 11 interceptions the past two seasons. Talib has outstanding recovery speed and tremendous leaping ability. He also showed his versatility by catching eight passes (four for touchdowns) on offense.

9. *Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson (6-4?, 272) | Previous: 10
    An underrated standout, Merling might not be as flashy as former teammate Gaines Adams (the fourth pick in last year's draft), but you can make the argument that Merling is a more complete player.

10. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt (6-5?, 318) | Previous: 14
    Top-drawer talent, possessing superior athleticism and good feet to neutralize outside pass-rushers.

11. *Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State (6-5, 320) | Previous: 9
    An excellent left tackle prospect with athletic ability and solid technique that will make him a great blindside protector in the NFL.

12. *Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois (5-10, 224) | Previous: 17
    Authoritative runner with a major league burst through the hole. Mendenhall's hard-charging style makes him difficult to get to the ground.

13. Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina (6-4, 298) | Previous: 11
    Unbelievably talented player who had a breakout season in 2007.

14. Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy (5-10?, 185) | Previous: 12
    Not only is McKelvin a very good cover man with superior recovery ability (he runs in the 4.38 range) and the aggressiveness to get the job done in run support, he also has made a name for himself as the top return man in the entire nation. He has stood out this season in games against the likes of Arkansas, Florida, Oklahoma State and Georgia. With his speed and versatility, McKelvin will bring great value to a football team.

15. *Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma (6-3?, 219) | Previous: 13
    He has the combination of size and speed that NFL teams covet, plus great hands; he's also a tremendous competitor.

16. *Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (5-10, 233) | Previous: 15
    A strong and athletic, big running back who displays tremendous patience with the way he sets up his blocks.

17. *Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (6-7, 280) | Previous: 16
    Physically imposing with his height and wingspan, Campbell is able to beat offensive tackles with either speed or power. He does a good job of varying his pass rush moves, while also proving to be solid against the run.

18. Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh (6-5, 339) | Previous: 17
    Light on his feet for a huge bookend, Otah is still developing. He played only one year in high school and two at the junior college level. He also played basketball in junior college and is a tremendous athlete. His upside and potential will excite offensive line coaches in the NFL.

19. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St. (6-1?, 183) | Previous: Unranked
    After enjoying a stellar career at the Division I-AA level, Rodgers-Cromartie stood out against the big boys at the Senior Bowl practices, then wowed over the NFL brass at the combine. He has the height, athleticism, recovery speed and ball skills to be an outstanding cornerback in the NFL.

20. *Branden Albert, OG, Virginia (6-6, 310) | Previous: Unranked
    A three-year starter for Al Groh, Albert also has the potential to operate as an offensive tackle in the NFL. Albert really commands attention by blocking in space and getting to the second level. In 2007, I saw Albert routinely deliver crushing blows on the move, showing agility and athleticism rarely seen in a player of his size.

21. *Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida (6-3, 250) | Previous: 25
    A battle-tested SEC veteran with that quick twitch you look for in a pass-rusher. Harvey started slowly in 2007, but came on in the latter half of the season, finishing with 8? sacks and 17 tackles for loss.

22. Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida (5-11?, 202) | Previous: 20
    He has excellent recovery speed and the toughness you look for in a cornerback. His size allows him to match up with an opponent's No. 1 wide receiver.

23. Keith Rivers, LB, USC (6-3, 233) | Previous: 24
    He has the skill set to become a super blue-chipper. Rivers isn't spectacular, but he's a solid all-around player.

24. *Chilo Rachal, OG, USC (6-6?, 339) | Previous: 21
    He has tremendous size and plays with a defensive mentality. Rachal can match the speed and power of defensive ends he faces, which is why he has so much upside at the next level.

25. *DeSean Jackson, WR, California (5-11, 168) | Previous: Unranked
    Exciting wideout and returner with very good natural pass receiving skills. Jackson has excellent speed and is a terrific open-field runner.

16. akibud

akibud Active Member

^ thanks plastic!

17. GangGreen

GangGreen New Member

edit: nevermind...

18. CL Yankees13

CL Yankees13 New Member

i dont see mcfadden lasting to 6

19. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

I'll take Gholston no problem.

20. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Lets See you have Calvin Pace and B thomas as your OLbs. Jets are already in trouble in coverage(teams are going to matcup one of those players up in coverage. Now IF Gholston not good in pass coverage your not doing anything to solve this problem. Jets should consider lb K Rivers- who has good coverage ability. You can Live with Rivers and one of B Thomas and c Pace. You can't live with B Thomas and C Pace as your starting OLbs. Jeaux Prediction. Offenses after picking on one of those LB in coverage, will force Jets to play someone else at OLb.