if gholston and mcfadden are gone.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Coach K, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i know alot of people bring this up in various topics but i just wanted to throw a few names out. theyre WR/DB's because after FA I believe these are our biggest weaknesses in the starting lineups especially considering we usually have 3 WR's in most sets. but position depth is always up for debate.

WR Limas Sweed-Texas
    alot of other WR's made better off at the combine but this is a guy who stands out more on tape. but at 6 ft 4 212 hes got a great frame and natural ability. the guy makes AMAZING grabs. while any analyst would call this pick reaching i have a feeling Sweed will be one of the few hyped players to come out of texas and actually live up to the billing. sidenotes he also competed in track and lettered in basketball. the guys a true athlete.

Highlight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UQ2cZuHxw

if Sweed gets mentioned another possibility as far as recievers go is Devin Thomas (one of this years combines lovechildren) and Manningham (one of the most productive)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie -Tenn State
    of course the knock on him would obviously be nobody wouldve known him if it werent for the combine. but the boot here is the guys potential versatility. listed as a CB he might be better off at FS, with exceptional speed (4.33) and size 6 ft 2 182 (room to add weight). heres a link to a full analysis

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie?id=306

Leodis McKelvin-Troy
    pretty much the number one CB on everyones board.

All talk of db's become pretty moot if they sign eugene wilson though.

any of the OL are pretty much a reach here. unless they feel like drafting a prime pupil for faneca at G, and none of the top ILB's really have the size to play in the 3-4.

most of the other names Id throw out at this point would be a real reach at 6.

#1 Coach K, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

WOW...I have never really seen Limas make plays like that. He looks like a complete beast. He has a little Keyshawn Johnson in him...

Man, that guy can flat out catch.

I would love to trade down and take this guy...could you imagine if we get a running game going with TJ and Leon and then have THIS guy to throw to ALONG with Cotch?

#2 PennyandtheJets, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

the pro comparison i heard and feel is completely accurate is Andre Johnson of the Texans

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I also had never seen much of, Sweed. Interesting. I would rather trade down to pick him though. If we are going to take someone with the #6, I dont know if WR would be the best choice there.

5. PennyandtheJets

Yeah he is a little bit faster then key, but not quite as fast as Johnson.

They do look alot alike though.

6. PennyandtheJets

That's what I would hope for. Maybe we can get a team 10-15 to bite for one of the DT's (Ellis and Dorsey)

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i was going to quote him and say i dont think theres any players there some team would trade up for with us.

but i think u listed the only possible scenario. :up:

8. JetsLookingforDWare

Sweed wishes he was Johnson. He's like half the athlete, and Sweed is a pretty good athlete.

If Gholston/McFadden aren't there then we go Stewart/Mendenhall...as of 3/7/08 with the 0 non-speculative info I have, thats my guess.

9. PennyandtheJets

If we sign Jessie Chatman it would be awfully silly to spend a 6th overall pick on a RB...we would have 4 RB's on our team!

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

based off needs, would love to see below 5 positions addressed in first 4 rounds (which means any type of trade back from #6 slot)
    WR, CB, OT, DE/NT, ILB, BPA determining priority

That said, I'd still take Gholston or McFadden if they were available at 6 as they would be BPA's and potential game changers.

11. Fraze27

Fraze27 New Member

if those two are gone then it makes it even easier to for us to accept trading down

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

yes, but also harder to find a team willing to trade up.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

sure his 40 time is like .15 slower. and his vert is like 5 or 6 inches shorter but sweed somehow reminds me of a taller version of him the way he generates separation with a long stride. plus one of the biggest upside to sweeds game is using his frame to shield defenders.

im not too hung up on the combine unless someone puts up monster numbers and has at least some tape worthwhile. Anquan Boldin is a prime example of how wrong a 40 time can be.

theres just something about sweed i like, and I think he will do well in the pros.

Stewart or Mendenhall at 6? its possible. but despite his weight hes pretty much a very heavy track star with his running mentality. im not saying hes not physical cause ive seen him plow through crowds on a few occasions but i think people bill him as a true powerback when hes not that. still ive been in love wit stewarts game since he hit oregon.

Mendenhall, pretty much considered the most well rounded back in this class. only knock on him is he only had one year worth discussing. but this guy carried a joke of an Illinois program on his back.

despite all the jabber i still feel mcfadden is the best back in the draft. although i wouldnt be too dissappointed to see one of those RB's in a jets uni if its not mcfadden id feel more comfortable going to another position.

and if I had to choose between Stewart or Mendenhall id probably choose Stewart. the guys been productive his whole career. and is also a great returner. mendenhall got everyones attention with his performance this season and had people curious about what hed do at the combine. meanwhile people expected alot from stewart going in. neither of them dissappointed.

14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Cromartie would be an excellent option too. We need another CB opposite Revis and that would make a young sick dynamic duo.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Cromartie is a great choice....I also like Aqib Talib...the guy is a hammer in the secondary and plays a little WR at times too...good value.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Drafting Sweed would be interesting. With Coles kinda up in the air, we could be in the position where we need another WR. If Coles stayed, then him, Cotch, Sweed, and Stuckey if he can stay healthy could be pretty amazing.

I think I'd rather see the Jets draft a WR then a RB early. If Clemens pans out then we'd have a good young QB, 2-3 good young WR, and good young RB, and a reasonable aged OL. We'd need another workhorse in a year or 2 but if the OL is solid there's a lot of options to fill that spot.

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

If both of those guys are gone I'm looking at one of the top CB's or the WR's @ 6. You are hard pressed to make the argument that we don't need a #1 wr (Coles' days may be numbered for contract or health reasons) or a cb to compliment Revis.

If one of those 2 is there you have to pull the trigger.

O Line or LB/DE in the 2nd...

18. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Theres no way we draft a wide receiver at 6- Drafting a playmaking wide receiver is a luxury we dont hvae- We have much more pressing needs for a pass rusher or a shut down corner to play opposite Revis, If Gholston and DMAC are gone at 6- We either trade down and if thats not possible we take the best cornerback (who could also be used on punt returns)

19. Tumer

Tumer New Member

If Gholston and McFadden are gone then my next pick would be (in the following order):

Chris Long
    Jake Long
    Matt Ryan
    Aqib Talib

Too early for a wideout, but I'm praying the Jets are able to pick up Gholston in Rd 1 and James Hardy in Rd 2. That'd be a hell of a Day 1 with two picks in the 4th round to lead off Day 2.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I can't see them going CB that high in the first round in consecutive drafts. If the scenario unfolds that both Gholston & McFadden are gone(unlikely) I would hope they go with who they feel is the BPA between Sweed/Stewart/Mendenhall. I would think it would be unlikely that we could trade down, so either of those guys may be considered a slight reach but they do fill big needs.

out of those three I would prefer Sweed to Stewart and Stewart to Mendenhall. I haven't bought into the hype that Mendenhall is the best RB in the draft. He has had one greeat year that came out of a spread college offense. He certainly has the talent but i'm not convinced. If Sweed didnt get hurt he would be considered a legit top 10 WR, I could live with taking the chance he is fully recovered.