Young's upside sets him apart

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 28, 2006.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Young's upside sets him apart

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

............:up:

3. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

,,,....... enjoy

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

........:up:

5. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Not at all!

Hydro good stuff, some really good information, thanks.

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

yea i agree thats not a bad draft at all.

7. vilma baby

vilma baby New Member

I dont know why upside is condidered such a great thing, i would rather take a QB who is good right now rather than a guy who could possibly at some point be good.

8. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I agree. One of the other talking heads somewhere was talking about how scouts go for the production players after seeing them do it for two years only to get overruled by the coach who sees nothing but potential after doing the same job half as well for one tenth as long.

The best indicator for future success is past success.

9. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

It's VERY rare that a first year QB will be ready to start... even Leinart isn't there yet. Leinart is simply the closest to being ready.... I don't think any college QB is ever ready to step into the NFL and play well. And before the Roethlisberger references come up..... they cut the playbook by 66% and relied on the running game in his rookie year, and also leaned on the D to keep them in games.

10. Streetballa333

Streetballa333 New Member

I agree. Vince Young will need time to develop, but I think that he has the work ethic and ability to develop into a great QB. Many people say that a Qb's job is to throw the ball down field. I think, it is a QB job to lead his team, make good decisions, and win games. Vince Young possesses the ability to do all of those and has done so in the past. The most underestimated part of Vince Young's game is his decision-making and his ability to stay calm in difficult situations. Those skills cannot be taught; a person must have them inside of them already.

Lastly, for a QB with good scrambling ability he does not take big hits. Vince Young and Mike Vick are two different QB's, and it?s unfair to make direct comparisons between the two.

11. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

Wow, somebody actually watches the games! :up:

12. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Bump.

Nice Thread.

13. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

What is Vince Young's upside that makes him so much more valuable? Is he going to be splitting out on halfback options?

Speed and athletic ability, when combined with a poor intellect or inability to pick up offense, gets you nothing more than an exciting player who is more flash than substance. Two years ago people were debating who you would rather have, Peyton Manning or Michael Vick. Where's that debate now? To me, Young's upside is dragged down considerably because of the time it will take him to develop, the decisions he has made, and the questionability of his intellect.

-X-

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

not true, you have both ends of the spectrum to look at.

you have wokrout warriors from small schools or people who are labeled better players cause of triangle numbers

then you have people who rack up stats, while they seem like the more safe pick.....theres always circumstances that affect this. (school, strength of position in conference, etc. etc.)

potential vs prediction is always a good debate, but what the final case is....what will the coach do with this player?

and yes Young does have the greatest upside, elite athleticism showing the ability to bury defenses with his arm............but he only showed a promising throwing ability for one yr? so which player will people be drafting?

I'm not worried for him and I laugh at people who say hes not a good QB. the most important player on the field, and he is the best player on the field. PLAYER someone who makes plays, people are scared of scramblers but the game of football has changed

players are bigger and faster and more versatile at every position, its called evolution.

and people get into this whole subliminal Leinart VS Young thing..........its gotten really old. I question Leinarts maturity and arm strength. I question whether or not Young will be in the right surroundings to succeed as a dual threat QB.

anyways good post HYDRO

and even better name ricky williams

#14 Coach K, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Michael Vick at 26 has taken his team further in the playoffs then Manning. Manning is a statistic machine and for a guy who is supposedly smart, he called one of the dumbest games in playoff history against the Steelers. The Colts would have been better off with a dumb ass at QB and a good OC putting together a game plan and calling the plays.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol good point biggs

everyone points to peyton manning when talking about the perfect QB, but say cause of someones lack of ability to be a "pure passer" they cant succeed.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Manning is a classic case of a guy who is to smart for his own good. He can't pull the trigger and just react in a big spot he hesitates because he thinks about the consequence to much. Give me a dumb ass like Bradshaw who can throw the freaking ball down the field in a big spot and let his WR make a play rather than a guy trying to figure out the perfect place to put the ball.

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I think the blame for this is as much on his coaches as it is on Peyton. There is a reason why teams have offensive coordinators and don't let the QB try to do everything. Good defenses/defensive coordinators are going to pick the guy apart. It may be too late at this point for Peyton since he is so worshipped by everyone it's unlikely the Colts would get a guy in there that would really lay down the law.

I mean, the entire team bows and scrapes to Manning's will, in 04 when he pursuing the TD record the Colts threw an ungodly amount of passes near the goalline. I believe 16 of his TD passes were from 5 yards or less.

19. Mr. Schnitzer

Mr. Schnitzer New Member

How do you figure Vick has taken his team further than Manning?!?

Both have gotten to the Conference Championship and in fact Manning only lost by 10 compared to Vick's 17 point loss... also Manning lost to the eventual SB winner...

doesn't seem like Vick has taken his team further than Manning... unless you're talking about Eli!

20. Tenn_JetsFanatic

GREAT post ....