Grades for the FA-Moves?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by German Jets Fan, Mar 5, 2008.

1. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

What grade would you give our FO for the moves they made so far?. I?d Say

Faneca - B
    Jenkins - B+
    Vilma - C
    Pace - D
    Woody - C-

overall C

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Faneca - A
    Jenkins - B+
    Vilma - C
    Pace - B
    Woody - C+

Overall - B-

3. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Those grades seem a little low.

Care to explain?

4. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Faneca - 5 years for a 31 yo, and the highest Deal for a OL ever, can?t be a A
    Vilma - right now we got a 4th, and hope to get more, you can?t really grade this right now, so i go with a C. I would have loved the pick this year.
    Pace - wayyyy too much money for someon with 13 sacks in 4 years.
    Woody - 5years 25M is a long time and a lot of money for someon who got benched i D.

5. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

Faneca - A
    Jenkins - B+
    Vilma - C+ (unless he signs an extension and we get better picks)
    Pace - B (he should flourish in the 3-4)
    Woody - B- (definite upgrade from Clement)

Overall - B

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Why do you care what the money is? IF the cap gets screwed THEN I will be critical, for now:

Faneca: A
    Pace: B+
    Woody: B-
    Jenkins: A
    Vilma: B

Overall: A

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

this is all bullshit. i can't understand why so many of you guys are worried about the $ we're paying these guys, like it's coming out of your pockets! don't hand me the crap that we pay for it, when we buy our tickets. everyone knows the ticket prices are gonna go up, regardless. lets stick to on the field production, when asked about grading these players. until they suit up for us, and show us what they can do, this is all bullshit, imo

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Are you that ignorant? You heard of something called the salary cap? Signing these guys for huge money limits us from getting more big money guys.

9. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Faneca - B+ We needed a guard in the worst way, and Faneca's veteran leadership between our two young studs should do wonders for our OL. His age, and the enormous contract are the only factors keeping this move from being an A.

Jenkins - B He's a heck of a player and should help exponentially with our defensive front 7, and we didn't give up too much for him. But the contract is, again, a little too big for my liking.

Vilma - D+ This move bothered me. We did it way too early in free agency (had we waited until other players were scooped up, we could have gotten better compensation for him). Additionally, if we had waited until the Jenkins move was made, who knows if we even go through with this move. I'm never in support of trading your most talented players, but I suppose this deal had to be made, and that's why it didn't get an F.

Pace - F An up-and-comer, or a product of a contract year? We don't know- nobody does. $22 M guaranteed was WAY too much to shell out to someone who did not show anything until this past year.... It may work out, but as of now, this looks like the FO got too caught up in the bidding war, and lost their grip on reality

Woody - C+ If he were signed for depth, this move gets a B or a B+. Right now, many are assuming he is to step in as our starting RT. If that is so, I'm not impressed. I hope we'll pursue a better RT somewhere in FA or the draft.

Overall- C

10. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

People need to think for themselves about the importance and quality of these moves as opposed to listening to the cautious and negative sports reporters covering them

11. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I cant grade this until oct maybe nov. I need to see some wins 1st. Dont get me wrong I happy.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Can we wait until the season is played out before we start handing out FA grades. They are moves out of necessity and forget what they cost, inflation is a bitch.

In january of next year- i'll hand out draft grades.

13. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Jets FO aggressiveness A -- it's not easy getting big name players to come here, we do not exactly have a stellar history, so you do the next best thing, throw money at them.

As for the signings, you have to wait for them to hit the field. On paper things look good, but you never know how guys will fit the system.

14. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

This is a super argument.

So you're saying we shouldn't have signed these free agents, because it limits our abilities to sign free agents. Hmmm...

"18 Million Dollars in Cap Space is my favorite player!"

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You have to worry about the $, it affects our cap which could hurt us down the road and our ticket prices keep going up and up and this allows them to justify it.

As far as pace, hopefully he is like farrior was w/ Pitt. Farrior struggled for years w/ us never fulfilling his top 10 draft status then in a contract year had a big year and Pitt signed him thinking that was his breakout yera and he was on the way up and they were right. Pace struggled for years and borke out last year, will he keep going up like Farrior or revert back to form? We'll find out in the coming years.

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Either way, Pace's salary cap number this year is $4m, hardly tying our hands behind our backs.

17. nyjunc

It's not just FAs, it's re-signing your guys. A few years ago we were cap strapped and had to let Aaaron Glenn go and we sure could have used him in 2002.

You also need cap room to sign rookies(and one of our picks is very high so they will break the bank as well) and if you have injuries duering the year you need to be able to have the flexibility to make some moves. I don't know the cap situation right now, I assume we are still in decent shape but they cannot afford to use nearly all our cap room on FAs.

18. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

And on a side note, you have to be completely crazy to give the Faneca signing anything less than an A.

It was our biggest weakness.

We filled it with the best available player, who happens to be much better than the best available guards last year, who also got record contracts.

I agree, it would have been much better if we could've signed Faneca to a 10-year, $50 contract, but these goddamn unions and agents, ya know?

19. nyjunc

The problem w/ high guaranteed money is it can hurt your cap. If Pace is good then this deal will be fine but if not we are stuck w/ him. We'd take a huge hit if we let him go w/in the next few years. As long as he plays well it won't be an issue.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Yeah, that's right, but if he's no use then he'd be a bad addition at $1m let alone $20m. If you're always tempering your offers with get-out clauses then you'll struggle to sign impact players. Sometimes you need to take a chance like this. Like I said above, IF the cap is screwed to hell, then the FO will take a hit for it from me and from others. I can't imagine MT will allow the numbers to get out of hand.