Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Atopps, Mar 3, 2008.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think DRob has grown as a player, and will do well in the 4-3.
    Thought we could've gotten a 3rd. ah well.

i think we need to make it a priority to draft another Dlineman this year.
    I still like Rubin a lot.
    Just in case Jenkins gets injured, or winds up adapting better at DE than NT, we need more depth on the line. He'll go in 2nd or 3rd round though.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

So we basically get a fourth rounder for the #4 pick we traded all sorts to get and another one for the #12 overall pick. Its amazing to see how these guys stocks have plummeted as they aer both still young and could do well in a 4-3.

3. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I agree, in a 4-3 DRob was a very good DT. Him and the other DT the Bengals signed will be a force for Cincy. Man, all those 1st rounders we picked slowly going away, next Ellis will be traded or cut.

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Once we signed Jenkins teams new we had to trade D. Ron because of his contract so we were not going to get the 1st or 2nd for him. Lots of great players were picked in the middle rounds. These are not throw away picks and one thing Tangini has proved is they are good in the draft. Now if we can only be successfull in Free Agency.. then.

5. UKJetFan

UKJetFan New Member

Thank god for that, though I will miss how he flew backwards gracefully into the linebackers. For the Bengals sake I hope they've got a great run-stopper next to him.

I'm surprised we could unload him with that massive contract and his productivity over the last couple of years, shows what good stats can do for a player.

6. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

How many picks do we have now?

After the Robertson trade, here's how we stand in the draft. I count #6, #37, no picks in the third round, #99, #109 (Cincy), #110 (NO), #140 (Cincy), #165 and #196.

So that's:
    1 first round
    1 second round
    0 third round
    3 fourth round
    1 fifth round
    1 sixth round
    1 seventh round

Did I miss any? I think Tannenbaum will likely use the three 4th round picks as ammunition to do damage in the second and third rounds. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a package to Miami for Chris Long.

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

If he was making less money we might have gotten more.

8. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Man I sure how this 3-4 thing works out, we are casting off our 1st round, supposedly franchise players (or so we thought), for 3rd and 4th round picks. Ellis anyone :breakdance:

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Neither would I. After i saw him in the combine, he has the football knowledge and the athleticism to play SOLB in the 3-4. He can learn pass coverage.

10. BacktoQueens

That looks right to me, although since NE forfeited their #31 pick, think all those picks can move up one. for instance, i know we pick #36 overall in round 2.

11. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Has anyone considered that if no team other than Cincinatti was interested in DRob, Tannenbaum would have likely considered cutting him in an effort to save the 3 million bonus?

So instead of cutting him, we just got 4th and 5th round picks for him, almost the same as the Panthers got for their 3 time Pro-Bowler Jenkins. And you can say all you want about DRob possibly playing well in a 4-3, hes never come close to resembling a Pro-Bowl level player.

12. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Good eye. :up: And as we all know the 36th pick in the draft is a thinking man's first round pick.

13. Namath12

Namath12 New Member

Look, going backwards, the Vilma and DRob trades look awful. We gave up two high first-round draft picks of the past for a conditional 4th and a 4th and 5th. However, if there is fault to lay, it is not with Tangini - those picks were made earlier by a different front office (and, but for injuries and the switch to a 3-4, the Vilma pick probably was a good one).

Now, fast forward, both trades by Tangini were good. Vilma was not going to excel in the 3-4 and, in any event, Harris is a better LB for the system. For a backup LB, coming off a severe knee injury, who probably only can play in a 4-3, we got a 4th that could become a 3rd or even a 2nd. Not bad, especially when we was expendable this year. In the case of DRob, he, too, was not going to excel in a 3-4, and became expendable with the acquisition of Jenkins. If the market for Jenkins and Stroud were a 3rd and a 5th, there was no way the Jets were getting that for DRob. Although he sometimes did a steady job and always tried, not many would say he is a better, or equal, DT than Jenkins or Stroud. When you throw in a massive contract, getting a 4th and 5th seems like a great trade. Remember, if the Jets held out for more and didn't get it, they probably would have had to cut DRob due to his contract, and then wouldn't have gotten anything for him.

The Jets now have solidified their two biggest weaknesses (OL and DL), locked up two Pro Bowl players to long contracts, traded away two pieces that no longer fit for fair trades, and are down a 3rd and up two 4ths (and the trade of DRob gives them more cap room).

It will be interesting to see if they package two 4ths or move up to the 3rd round, or a 2nd and 4th to move up into the late 1st round.

Mike

14. I wish D rob lucck in Cincy. Hopefully the fans treat him alittle better than he was treated here. He was alot better of a player than he got credit for.

15. rillo

rillo New Member

Damn...I thought we could've got @ least a 3rd rounder.

16. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The Ledger this morning said we got a 3rd and a 4th for Robertson........

17. That'd be much better value and get the 3rd back we lost for Jenkins

18. rillo

rillo New Member

I would do backflips LOL. If true, thats great value IMO.

19. BacktoQueens

link?
    that would be awesome value.

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

That is not entirely accurate. The Jets traded Vilma for a 4th round pick in 2008 AND a conditional pick in 2009. If Vilma meets certain playing incentives and signs an extension, the Jets receive NO's 2nd or 3rd rounder and we give them our 4th next year. (Essentially moving up from the 4th into the 2nd or 3rd rounds).