Somewhere Kellen Clemens is Smiling

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

if you ask me, we're setting up to make a run, this year. the best chance we've got to do that is with CHAD at QB.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If there really is an open competition for QB and Pennington is still on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost either. Whether it was against back-ups or not, Clemens out played him last preseason.

3. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I was a very big Chad fan until last year.

Bad line or NOT, he had numerous interceptions on MANY short out-routes along the sideline.

And this was WITH time. The ball simply took too long to get there... long enough for CBs to jump the route for the easy INT.

He used to be able to BARELY throw those. Last year he got burned on those. Can't win like that.

He's proven you dont need a BIG arm to win, but a sub-par arm will destroy any good intentions that his smart mind tries to carry out.

As of last year, his arm went from adequate to sub-par.

If he somehow strengthens his arm in the offseason, then I'm back on board.

Otherwise, the facts are the facts, as sad as I am to see it.

#43 chrisrex, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  4. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Great line = great running game = play action = The Great Chad Comeback! Oh yeah!

Seriously though, Chad played way better in 2006 with Kendall at LG, and that was the biggest difference (directly affecting him) between 2006 and 07. Also, his ankle might have been worse then he let on. Regardless, if we finish off this line with a great RT, I'd like to see if Chad could regain his old form behind it. I love the upcoming TC competition. May the best QB win!

5. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Oh for the love of god, do the people in this thread actually watch the games? Chad was as bad as any QB I have ever seen in his starts last season. OL? F'ing boo hoo, how much time do you need to throw a 5 yard pass? Not only did he only win 1 game, he lost 2-3 games that were well within reach with pick 6's. OL, defense aside, Chad lost those games.

I love Chad, own his jersey, and wore it proudly at the playoff win in SD a few years back. But I can also see reality, and Chad is never going to be the QB ofthe Jets again, at least if we actually want to be a SB winner in the next 5 years.

Sorry Chad, the injuries were just too much. If and when you get a shot elsewhere I'll wish you the best. For the Jets sake though, I hope you go to the Bills or Fish.

6. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

If Chad starts next season I will seriously break some thing in my house. I can't watch this guy anymore, thanks for the memories, but time to move on.

7. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

We all bow down to your superior knowledge. I missed all of last season when Chad stunk and Kellen Clemens put up a nice 1:2 TD/INT ratio and had just as many Pick 6's as Pennington.

You're not going to win any arguments by insulting the knowledge of those that disagree with you. I'm willing to bet those that consider (note I said consider, not guarantee) that Chad has a chance to be the starting QB next year watched a hell of a lot of football last year. Chad did not have a good year but you'll have to make a strong argument to suggest that KC is ready to be handed the starting job with Tui or a rookie as a backup. Personally, I think that'd be something that a coach as smart as Mangini wouldn't do.

8. Tommy22

Tommy22 New Member

Eli Manning won the Super Bowl last season, despite looking awful at times over his first 3 years.

I'll take my chances with Clemens. Young guys can look like crap, but when they reach their potential they do good things like win Super Bowls. They also do good things when you put blockers in front of him. Let Clemens play, damnit.

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If Chad starts we are 1 year further from a SB. Chad won 1 game, Kellen won 3. Any questions?

10. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Very few people in this thread are saying "PLAY CHAD"; most are suggesting that KC hardly has earned the right to be handed the starting QB job.

Mangini has said quite unequivocally (along with Tannenbaum) that they want a QB competition in camp.

What I disagree with is the impulsive portion of the board that wants to trade Chad and leave us with Tui or a rookie QB as a backup. What's the harm in carrying Chad on the roster if Tannenbaum sees it financially fit? If Clemens is as good as some of you guys think he is, he should be easily be able to beat Chad in a QB competition.

One thing this thread proves is that the anti-Chad camp loves making straw-men arguments: anybody who wants to keep Chad on the roster automatically wants him to be the starter, right?

Once again, I'm elated Coach Mangini is making the moves for this team and not the trigger happy folk here.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Actually, the Jets have put themselves in position (by filling holes in FA) to draft Flacco with our 2nd round pick. That's why I'm in the trade Chad ASAP group.

12. Tommy22

Tommy22 New Member

I guess I'm just worried after watching Joe Torre play Bernie Williams way past his prime because "He's a good guy" "He's earned it" or "He's got experience". Stuff like that happens, but, granted, I think Mangini is smarter than that.

I'm cool with Pennington as a backup. But just that.

13. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

So you want to let a 3rd year QB with abysmal numbers in 2007 be handed the starting job and his backup be a rookie from DIAA?

I don't think any GM would think that way (nor has any GM in the past), but maybe it's just me. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'd rather have a 3rd year starter with a rookie backup (both with huge upsides) than the beloved, but oft-injured weak arm QB.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I fully agree, Chad is done folks...stop living in the old age. Pennington had his chance with his short dumps and fade's...he put the OL in so much stress...those plays took forever to reach the redzone.

Show some faith in Clemens...the guy has got the goods. He is probably getting stronger right now, because he knows the team is building a contender. Pennington albeit is a great QB and i rooted for him as much as any, will just create interceptions and injuries now

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Clemens is a little short, but I love his quick release. A flip of the hand kind of Marino release. I hope he works out, but am very far from convinced.

17. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

Chad will be weaing a uniform, but it wont need to be cleaned after the preseason ends. Chad isn't starting anything here. He is still a Jet because he is a safety measure. Nobody here wants Cleo Lemon as the backup to KC...Trent Green? Nyet. Chadwick under center on opening day? I'd shit my pants...Unless KC completely and utterly shits the bed, or gets hurt there is no chance Chad starts 1 game this year.

18. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

I am soooooo over the QB debate..............

19. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

More like KC is nervous as hell, if he does not produce behind an All Pro line, assuming we fill out the right side, then it's game over for his NFL career.

20. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Without time, the WRs can't get downfield in time. Without time, the CBs can sit on the short routes. The QB has to fake them off as best he can in the 1.3 seconds he has to see there is no time and pick which short route he has the best chance on or throw the ball away. Can you throw the ball away on every pass play? Not likely. And now, all the DBs are sitting on the short routes, because they know you don't have the time to throw deep. It's just a matter of time. I think Kellen had more interceptions than Chad. But so what, the OL gave neither of them a chance in hell.

It will be interesting to see how each of them do with this year's OL, huh?