Keep Vilma, You Fools (tangini) Or Suffer His Fate With Jets!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Feb 24, 2008.

1. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Just another example, don't get attached to any NYJ player, they will either be traded or cut. Only the Jets would let a very good player go and hope they can replace him. When you have good players you design schemes and defenses to maximize their ability, you do not trade/cut them cause your not inventive enough to figure out how to use them. In typical Jets fashion, the next team Vilma goes to he will excel and be in the Pro Bowl for the next few years. :jets:

2. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

...barring a team over paying w/ a trade (doubtful)....the best plan is to keep him and see if he heals into the player we know he can be....

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I think so too.

4. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I'm shocked that you changed the sig :(

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Teams don't have to double Vilma in this defense, he tends to run directly into blocks and neutralize himself from plays. I like Vilma a lot but he is going to have to vastly improve his technique if he can flourish in 3-4 schemes. DRob was 4th overall.

I have to wonder why you would go to so much effort write that post and then insult a cross section of people in it and then not expect criticism.

BTW, was it the team that you went to jail for or was it alcohol?

6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Tendencies in this year are an aberration. The DL needs some more attitude, some more heft, and Vilma needs to work alongside Harris (like it is supposed to have been this year). Never mind the 07 tendencies.

7. abyzmul

I was actually thinking about last year and this year combined. Vilma didn't impress me much last season either, and apparently by the fact that they were trying to shop him to Washington, they didn't impress the CS or FO.

8. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I liked the overall nature of this post...I too am tired of the way "working parts" are replaced, and "nonimpact parts" are kept (See Brad Kassell: the appendix, no apparent use except to cause stomach pain.)

I agree 100% on your Kendall rant--everybody's heard that before--but I do feel like moving Jville for an impact player might be the right move.

I'm remembering Sam Cowart and how he was never the same after his injury--it was an achillees-but still, it seems unlikely that Vilma will do anything this year, maybe next year.

Still, in general, I agree with the spirit of your thread. Coles, like a few other Jet receiver's before him, as sacrificed his health for this team, taking concusions and heading back out over the middle. He's a gamer and a leader and they have too few of these.

9. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

we have to get rid of him while we can...and i dont think vilma want to be here anyway. he cant stand mangini and besides he wants to be a superstar not a sidekick to harris..this will work out for us and him. VILMA 4 ROGERS!!! MAKE THAT TRADE

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Jesus...was Brad Kassell just used as an example of something thats based on pure speculation?

What was Kassell signed for? I'm guessing not some monster contract. They paid him early because it's *proooobably* easier to sign a ST player than it is to sign a top 5 safety.

From some of these rants you'd think the Jets's FO avoids good players at all costs...

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'd imagine the FO have ascertained that JV is unlikely to sign a new deal here. I can't imagine they have gone to him unilaterally and insisted he seek a trade.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I highly doubt our FO thinks that JV is useless. That he has no value in this league, and wont excell in any scheme now. Like he was just a two year wonder.. No, he just needs to be in a certain scheme to succeed. Which is the only bargaining chip the Jets would have towards decent value for, JV.

I view it as a win - win. Vilma is good, not great, in our 3-4. We can get some decent value via trade with a 4-3 team that can use a JV force in their scheme. If we do keep him, he will still be better then 3/4 of the players out there. If we trade him, we get something decent out of it, with potential to help us out in other aspects of our team.

13. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Go Bucs Go! Trade Trade Trade!

14. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Bengals?

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6659

Q: I was hoping that the reason we tagged Andrews is so we could trade him to the Jets, who need an offensive tackle, along with our first-round pick for their first-round pick, which is high enough for us to either get Gholston or Ellis. Is this a possibility or am I dreaming?
    --Brad, Crestview Hills, KY

BRAD: At 26, Andrews is going nowhere and the effort now is to sign him to a long-term deal. But instead of asking the Jets for that No. 6 pick, what about their linebacker, Jonathan Vilma?

Vilma, who turns only 26 the week before the draft, is on the trading block. He's going to make somebody a wonderful player, and with a year left on his deal it would amount to a free-agent signing because the trade figures to come with a new contract.

The Jets are moving Vilma because he can't make plays in the 3-4. At 230 pounds, he's been having a miserable time getting off blocks and he gets swallowed up by guards. But put him in the middle of a 4-3, or on the weak outside in a 4-3, and he'll run forever.

Plus, the guy is tremendous in the locker room with Grade A attitude and work ethic.

The problem is the Bengals are looking to be more multiple and they might be done with 230-pound linebackers. The fast, small guys haven't really translated here, and shouldn't the money and draft picks be spent on pass rushers and big D-linemen?

On second thought, it's the Lance Briggs question. Yeah, you'd love to have the guy. But how much is it going to cost when you need a pass rush or you're going to die?

Vilma would be a great character and team guy, and there is much to be said for that. But, right now, that has to be seen as a luxury on a defense that desperately needs power at the point of attack.

Seen that '08 schedule? With their tackling problems, you could argue they're one of the least physical teams in football and they have to play the most physical in the game: Tennessee, Jacksonville, Dallas, Giants, Steelers.

Keep Andrews, run the ball, stay on the field, and take the best pass rusher on the board at No. 9.

A postscript on Vilma: He's having problems with his knee and is coming off a complex surgery, but he's young and recovering. But he might not get a call for about a month, or when he can start working out.

All that said, Vilma would like nice in stripes. And if you only have to give up a third, and you figure they're going to have more than one third-round pick, do it. Unless you end up playing more 3-4.

15. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Vilma has little trade value. Who knows if he recovers to perform in this last year of his deal? If he signs a long term deal with another team while he's labelled as an injured unable to perform player what is his bargaining power? I think this is the worst of all positions for Vilma to be in. His judgment about the extent and recovery of his knee injury is lousy -- he wouldn't even acknowledge that he was hurt until he was already on IR.

What's up with that?

Vilma needs to show the world he is back and better than ever before he goes for a trade. Otherwise, I fear it's going to cost him a lot of money for more than a little while.

It's not in Vilma's best interest to wonder off the reservation at the moment, in my opinion.

16. 73klecko

73klecko Member

This makes me sick. Vilma is a leader and was used incorrectly. This only creates ANOTHER hole to fill. They should trade Robertson instead and get a 350lber in here.

17. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

the hole was already filled by harris...and what ever we get for vilma would fill another hole

18. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

If the defense doesn't get it together this season, Mangini won't have many excuses.

3 classes of free agents and rookies is more than enough time to put together a good product. I'm not expecting top 5 in the NFL, but could we get into the top 15 or 20 at least? Is that asking too much?

Oh, Vilma = Pro Bowl.

19. abyzmul

I think that Vilma could eventually put it together in the middle of a 3-4 to be effective, I think my main concern would be for the health issues. His frame is pretty lean and ILBs in the 3-4 take a huge beating all year long. We can't just use him in 4-3 sets and nickel defense, he has to have a big part in the 3-4 schemes and I think he is just physically not capable of sustaining the physical nature in that alignment. I certainly don't think he is useless in any way, shape or form, and I don't think the team does either.