Pennington got a raw deal...and this may haunt us for years...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Feb 24, 2008.

1. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

...back in Sept. I posted a thread that I believed Chad was getting way too much blame for our difficulties and that the rush to get Clemens in was premature and focused too much blame on Chad's weak arm...

...I still believe that a team could win it all with Pennington...but I will need to see a lot more out of Clemens to make the same statement about him.....

...our offensive line blocking was almost WORTHLESS...our line gave up 53 sacks in 07...how many QB's in the NFL could look good behind our line...example: HOF Brady in SB looked rattled and human vs. the Giant pass rush...I'd love to get a hold of stats on hurries & knck downs...

...my point is so many posters have clearly given upon Pennington and want him out for some measly draft pick...if Clemens doesn't work out...then we are playing the "Find a QB" game like half the teams in the NFL now...

...last point....the Giants won the SB w/ as most fans called him for the last 3 years a "bum" who threw more to other teams than his own...if Chad was a Giant...could they have won the SB?? I say yes.....

2. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

I couldn't agree more. I feel perferctly fine with Chad as the QB. Most NFL QB's are more than capable of "winning it all" with as long as they have protection up front. If the Jets address that need (and all indications seem to point that wasy), and the OL gives him more than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball, he can put up numbers with the best of them.

3. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I agree as well. Pennington was sabotaged by the removal of Kendall weeks before the season.

The Eli Manning comparison is very apt. Back in September, Giants fans and media were sharpening their knives for the soon-to-be Super Bowl MVP. I remember hearing stories about how the Gints would need to think about drafting their QB of the future.

I'm all for the open competition, and I'm very confident that Pennington will win it again. Of course, I hope Clemens shows improvement as well.

And I would still try to get another young QB in this draft...I wouldn't mind seeing them take Flacco in the 3rd round.

4. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

if we can finally surround our QB with enought talent to go deep into the POs, i don?t want to have a 35 year old, injury prone guy with a noodlearm. Don?t get me wrong, i?m still very high on Chad, but we gotta find our man now, to have a serious shot of of winning it all in 2-3 years.

If Clemens keeps on playing like he did last year, we?ll be in position to draft Tim Tebow next year.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I don't want either QB , but am far happier with Pennington in than what Clemens has shown so far. Long term , neither are the answear.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Chad is a competent manager with a pop gun of an arm who has shown tremendous ability to make really bad decissions in pressure situations. He is a none impact player at the most important position on the field. To win a tournement against the better teams your QB has to have the ability to make game changing plays for the offense not the defense. Chad after 2 surgeries is just not that guy.

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

lmao chad losing ability will not haut us. the jets are in a new era. changes have to be made. if vilma can be traded chad definetly can be benched or moved. life is diffrent with a pro level arm and good qb. just watching the playoffs all you saw this year was competent qbs. guys who can improvise and make plays. when things arent right. guys who went down the field, chad has not and cannot do these things.. idk if clemens is the answer. but i know for a fact chad isnt.

8. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Gee, how can you make that analysis of Clemens at this point? How do you or anybody else here know how good he can be based on last season behind that line? A certain guy who looked sometimes worse than Kellen at this point in his career just won a Super Bowl for crying out loud.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

The Giants throw the ball downfield. a lot. Plaxico was a gigantic threat and caught many many balls deep down the field throughout the season. The giant offense would have been completely different with chad so to say they would stil have one the superbowl is impossible. Not to mention theres no way chad makes the play at the end that eli made to tyree

10. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

All good. I have to believe that Mangini sees what you and I see and that is that Clemm is not an upgrade on Chad. If these guys come back for a competition in TC, Chad will be in on opening day. We wont find any value in the current market for a decent QB so we have to bring back Chad, I agree he can win it all with a good supporting cast. I have an option on my 1 year trial with the "Darksiders" and if we have a good FA and draft I'm sending back my DVD's of the "fake spike" and the "Browns play off game" etc and coming back over. Hey, it's the off season-hope springs eternal!

11. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I disagree....as a fan for over 4 decades....rebuilding is "painfull" and frustrating.....searching for the next QB can take 5-10 yrs of experimenting, darfting, signing free-agents...example: Dolphins....Bills....Raiders.......Chad can "hold the fort" for a year or 2 until the heir is found....

PS: dumping Vilma because he doesn't fit our system is "stupid" also...the Pats would sign him and make him an All-Star....

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The only reason to keep Pennington is if you don't believe in Clemens and are drafting a QB this year.

13. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

The problem with Chad is that the forward pass was legalized from anywhere behind the line of scrimmage February 25, 1933. Before that rule change a forward pass had to be made from 5 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage. The leagalization of the forward pass for the most part renders Chad worthless. Give it a break.

14. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I chose my nom de plume advisedly. You are correct about Chad -- his overhand delivery adopted from VT requires another 10 milliseconds, but 1.3 seconds isn't enough even for Dan Marino. And of course, 1.3 seconds is not even enough for Tom Brady (the guy with the longish delivery wind-up) either.

Both Kellen AND Chad are excellent quarterbacks -- albiet in different phases of their development. Neither can be judged accurately behind this line.

Until we have an OL that pass blocks well AND run blocks well, no skill player has much of a chance on the NYJ.

15. gustoonarmy

I don't like what I've seen of him. With or without a good oline. I just don't think hes got 'it'.

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

It is totally mind-numingly frustrating that ANYONE coould watch Pennington this year and still think he can get it done in the NFL. He is easily the most overrated player in the NFL and especially among some Jets fans. Nothing is ever Chad's fault. He played himself out of a job fair and square and now he needs to go crush the dreams of some other team. He is done. How can you not see that?

17. gustoonarmy

Yes they can.
    Chad was a very accurate QB with not much of an arm , but also a good leader , now hes all of the above but with even less arm.
    Kellen has a rocket of an arm with no touch, makes bad decisions even with no pressure and has found our playbook too complicated. Time to get back to the ranch Kellen , you can't sing, you can't dance and its too wet to plough.

18. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Well, then, perhaps you should go back and check out how well Tom Brady did against the NYJ in the second game, and how Tom Brady fared against the Eagles and the Ravens and then the Giants.

A QB is only as good as his offensive line allows him to be. If you cannot take that into consideration then how are you going to judge a QB. 1.3 seconds is not enough time to hand off the ball, let alone find somebody and throw it to them.

19. pender30

pender30 Member

I always loved Chad until the Jets were down seven and got the ball with 2 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. For any quality qb in the league, this should be enough time to have a chance at winning, but with pennington it wasn't. I've got nothing against the 15play, 8 minute scoring drives Pennington was known to engineer, but sometimes you need a guy who can move the ball and score quickly. I always thought that was a huge hole in Penny's game.

20. pender30

pender30 Member

I would say the biggest hole in Kellen's game is in McCareins' right hand.