What the SB Demonstrated

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The SB tonight showed quite a bit for Jet fans:

It showed that any QB when pressured is ineffective. Brady, who was the greatest QB on earth this year, was only sacked 21 times during the regular season. Today he was pressured all day, sacked 5 times, and was not given time to throw. The result - 14 points, no big plays, a dink and dunk offense, no running game and a very average looking QB . . . . sound familiar???? Before a Jet fan knocks a Jet QB, wait until the Jets have an offensive line. No QB performs without time to throw, and Jet QBs haven't had time to throw in two years with the sieve OL the Jets run out game after game.

It showed that the key to a defense is the DL rushing the passer and stopping the run. The Giant DL won that game today. The Giant DBs are average, but with Brady having no time, the could not capitalize. The Jets need pass rushers in the worst way. Forget about wasting money on more DBs. The Jet DBs are fine.

It showed that you don't need a #1 receiver to win a championship. Burress was ineffective tonight (except for the TD where the Pat DB wasn't within 15 yard of him). Instead the big plays were made by Tyrie and Smith - real big names. The Jets don't need receivers - Coles and Cotchery are fine. The Jets need on OL to give the QB time to get the ball to our very good receivers. The Jets don't need to waste draft picks or players chasing Chad Johson.

Bottom line - the Jets need to devote the offseason, from free agency to the draft, on upgrading the OL and DL. Forget about drafting another QB or throwing big money at some CB or WR or drafting McFadden. Sign a guard or tackle or NT or all three in free agency. Draft an impact front 7 defensive player that rush the passer at #6. If the OL and DL are upgraded, the team will improve dramatically. That's what this game showed.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

It all starts up front, that has been football's philosophy since the sport began... Once the Jets can control the line of scrimmage we can make it back to the playoffs and be a good team.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It demonstrated that the keys to football remain-
    block and tackle better than your opponent and attack the quarterback. The pass rush is the key to football and particularly the 4th quarter pass rush. The Patriots didn't do it as evidenced by the Giants two 4th quarter TD drives.

4. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Yep, build the trenches on both sides. I do wish I could feel good about the QB position, though...

5. JetsLookingforDWare

You can if you build up the lines.

6. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

This game sold me on the the fact that getting a good pass rush should be our #1 priority... We beat the Pats last season by knocking Brady on his ass and thats how the giants beat him tonight. Draft Gholston.

7. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

The war is won in the trenches. I still maintain that if the Jets had a true 3-4 dt, Vilma would be ten times more effective because he wouldn't have to deal with guards being able to penetrate into the second layer of the defense and would be able to make alot more plays. It's real simple, exceptional teams in the trenches can turn a pedestrian team into a super bowl threat.

8. NYJetsFan26

NYJetsFan26 New Member

"Before a Jet fan knocks a Jet QB, wait until the Jets have an offensive line. No QB performs without time to throw, and Jet QBs haven't had time to throw in two years with the sieve OL the Jets run out game after game."

Which is why Pennington needs to be the QB this year with a new O-Line.

9. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

The jets are 5 linemen (O and D) away heh.

10. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

As usual JWWS, you hit the nail on the head. Brady looked like crap today except for one drive. Even with phenomenal talent all around him, he only was able to put together two TDs for his team in the biggest game of the year.

The Jets absolutely need to work on both lines before they even think about sniffing the playoffs, let alone advancing in them. I don't think they will, but I can always hope... at least Johan will make baseball fun to watch :)

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, until he comes out of games after 7 innings and the bullpen blows Ws. I don't expect more than 15 wins. I can't stomach the way pitching staffs are handled these days. Tony LaRussa started all this pansy pitching bullshit. F him and f his friend, Bill Belichick.

12. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

hahahahahaha Brady is gonna cry! YES!

13. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Agreed, that said, for someone who believes this, you sure seemed to take a lot of shots at Clemens late in the season.

I think you're over-simplifying the situation just a little bit here. Yes a great pass-rushing d-line can hide the flaws of an average secondary. But at the same time, an elite secondary (especially at the corners) allows you to be significantly more creative up front, especially when it comes to blitzing. Would NE be able to blitz as much with as many guys over the years without having big time defensive backs such as Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Rodney Harrison and Asante Samuel? Absolutely not.

Rhodes and Revis have shown the talent to be pro-bowlers in the near future and are young. Don't let that overshadow the mediocrity that the rest of the secondary is. Two players does not make a good secondary, especially in an era that requires more 5 and 6 DB sets.

Once again I think you're over-simplifying the situation. Plaxico was kept in check, not coincidently Samuel played a role in that.

Does one star WR make an offense good? Of course not. However, the Patriots have certainly shown enough times this year how a truly elite #1 can change game plans on the other side of the ball and create opportunities for other players. It's certainly not a coincidence that Welker and Faulk were consistently open. There is zero chance that either would have had close to this type of year if not for the constant attention/double teams that Moss got.

Coles/Cotchery is a very good starting WR combo. Is finding a starting WR the biggest need on this team? Far from it. However, if the opportunity to add a true game-changing WR is there, you have to strongly consider it. As good as Cotchery is (and he is quite good), he would be that much more dangerous if paired up with a game-breaking #1 WR. It's not a coincidence that Welker, Houshmandzadeh, Witten and Winslow all had more receptions than their elite #1 WR teammates. It also isn't a coincidence that Brady's rating was a full 25 points higher than his previous career best when he had a #1 WR for the first time.

I'm not saying they should get Chad Johnson (if available) at all costs, but the idea that he'd be a complete waste is absurd.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

In case any one missed it without a big strong QB who could break out of grasp turn without his feet set and whip the ball on a line 30 yards down the field the Giants would have lost last night. For those of you who don't think having an arm matters, having a QB who can make plays into tight spots matters, you are all off your rocker. If we play the same game as the Giants yesterday with our QB's, we lose the game. As tough as those two defenses were, balls were being put in tight spaces all game long when both QB's were being hit or had huge lineman in their faces.

15. stevesaks

stevesaks New Member

agree with alot that was mentioned..we need to build up the trenches...
    Espeically the DL..need a pass rush to get to the QB more than anything....need to strike fear in the opposing teams QB....

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

That's not the game I saw. In fact. I saw the QBs throw many poor wobbly passes. And the biggest play of the game - the Manning scramble and throw to Tyree to teh 25, was a wounded duck that was thrown up for grabls and was a completion because of the great play made by the receiver.

17. Quack

Quack New Member

Yeah, don't credit Steve Smith with any big plays. While he did some decent things for the Giants, he dropped one pass and deflected two into the air, one of which resulted in the int which gave the Pats their only touchdown.

Otherwise essentially the truth.

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Of course that's how you would see it, you have spent years bashing the Giants for the trade and telling us how much better game manager is. I saw a QB physically pull him self out of the grasp step away, turn and whip a ball 30 yards into tripple coverage and put the ball right on the receiver who made a spectacular catch. It was maybe the single best QB WR play in NFL championship history. Without the arm, the size and arm strength that ball is thrown 10 feet in front of the WR and picked off or thrown harmlessly into the ground. It was a very similiar play to the one Rothlisberger made prior to the end of the first half against Seattle that only size and strength allows you to make.

Game manager would have put up between a donut and 9 points against either one of those teams last night.

#18 winstonbiggs, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Clemsns did not impress me, but after seeing the emergence of Manning, I am certainly willing to give him the chance and am hopeful that, with a line, he will develop into a top flight QB.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup. And today's game was a virtual replica of the Jets/Pittsburgh game earlier in the year....