Jets | Team may pursue Suggs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Jan 2, 2008.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

God I really really would like to see this happen, I just hope this isn't Mangini/Tannenbaum/Bradway spin.

2. All Star

All Star Active Member

This is just speculation by a writer, no source, no nothing.

We may pursue a lot of guys this offseason.

3. rillo

rillo New Member

Would love to get him....but i'm sure he'll be franchised.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

This is the type of article written when the author can't come up with anything better.

Here, I'll write one for you:

"If he's not franchised, the Jets may be one of the teams looking at Albert Haynesworth."

or

"The Jets may or may not seek to retain the services of Jonathan Vilma, heading into next season."

5. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

If the JETS want to be anywhere close to the Patriots they are going to have to start spending some cash this offseason and stop kidding themselves and switch to any other defense not named 3-4 like a 4-3.

6. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Fire Sutton and sign Suggs and show you can stop the run and rush the passer while playing some real defense that teams have to plan for.

7. MCFADDENJETS07

Gholston And Suggs Can You Guys Imagine?

8. JetsLookingforDWare

What does the defensive scheme have to do with anything?

Players on our team who played better/broke out/fit the 3-4 better:

Ellis - Drafted as a 3-4 end and has been our best D-linemen the past two seasons. Doesn't say much, but he sucked in his last year in a 4-3.

BT - Was a DE/OLB as a prospect, but drafted to strictly play end in a 4-3. Broke out last year as an OLB.

Hobson - Had his best season last year.

Rhodes - Became more of a playmaker in the 3-4.

Harris - Fits the 3-4 better than the 4-3.

DRob - Sucked just as much in the 3-4 as he did in the 4-3. Had a couple big games but was mostly invisible....just like in the 4-3.

Not only that, but every 3-4 team plays with 4-3 fronts...

The 3-4 is more versatile, it's more disruptive to the passing game, and it brings a definite size advantage.

Whats so impressive about the 4-3 anyway? You move one of the OLBs up to the line and you got yourself a 4-3 front...whats so amazing about the 4-3 defense?

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I was with you until the Ellis comment- he's completely sucked ass for the last 2 seasons.

The last season we saw anything decent out of him was his contract year, and this is coming from an Ellis supporter.

Right now, I'd set the following rank as to who I'd like to play DE in the 3-4 next year for this team:

1) The 5'0 deli guy who delivers my lunch order.
    2) A piece of rubber dog sh.t
    3) Sean Ellis

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Ellis has been our most consistent DL player the past 2 seasons.

What do you want from him? More sacks? Thats not a 3-4 DE's job, yet he's still got 10 sacks the past two seasons.

Ellis isn't a super great player, but he's been a pretty good one on a very bad D-line/team. He can be upgraded, but not all that easily and considering he's good at doing his job AND he'll throw in a sack or a FF once in a while he's the last guy on the DL I'd care to replace.

11. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

"Barry Sanders has been cloned, his younger version who wants to play for the Jets for free."

12. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

They play the same position. If we get Suggs, we'll draft someone else.

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

the Jets may look to trade for Tom Brady if the Pats sour on him

14. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Isn't Lance Briggs a FA? I like him better then Suggs.

15. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

Nothing will probably happen with Suggs until the Ravens get their new head coach. On the radio today there was speculation that he would be franchised. There will be tons of rumors about every potential free agent, and I'm sure we'll see each and every one of their names mentioned here.

16. JetsLookingforDWare

Not in a 3-4 you wouldn't.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LOL yeah the Jets will probably be he only team looking to give Suggs a contract.

18. JeTs8320

JeTs8320 New Member

imagine Vilma, Harris, Gholston And Suggs and a nice fat NT

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Wow they are still digging up the 3-4 debate. Talk about one tired ridiculous argument.

I think you assign more value to Ellis then most do. He just is not that good of a DE in the 3-4. Some even hate K. Coleman. You have to admit that the jets 3-4 front 7 needs a lot of work and could stand some upgrading. That goes for everyone short of David Harris.

If the Jets can get a solid Pass Rushing OLB (Gholston or Suggs) the Jets LB corp would be substantially improved just by getting Hobson off the field in that capacity. I think the LB corp would be very good with just that one upgrade.

At this point I do not know what is available via FA or draft wise to upgrade the DE's or NT. So I can not give an honest answer of who to bring in. I know last year K. Coleman was the best option via free agency. If the Jets can get the LB shored up that would mean the back 8 is pretty solid even with a mediocre RCB and FS.

It seems the more aggressive blitz schemes and the extra rotation of the lineman cured the D's ills the second half of the season. If the Jets bring in any Ryan they can not help but be on the same page more than Sutton was. That should free up Mangini for other things. Of course that is predicated on the fact the D's improvement was because Mangini had more of a hand in it. I can not prove or disprove that, just going by the "Where there is smoke there is fire" theory.

I think one of the overlooked factors is that Mangini was hired late in the process 2 years ago. He had to scrape the bottom of the proverbial coaching barrel. Many of his choices were 3rd and 4th options. For instance, he was rebuffed the first time trying to get Bob Ryan and had to settle for Sutton. Now he has the time and there are many coaches and or entire staffs getting fired. Some of those coaches are very good or have good reputations. He could and should be able to upgrade and get a better more high quality staff together. For instance I think the O-line coach is done. It was more difficult to wholesale fire coaches last year, not so this year. He really needs to upgrade the staff, IMO.

So it is just not Free Agency and the draft where the Jets can and should improve it is staff wise.

20. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

Fire Sutton, hire Rob Ryan. Suggs would be huge!