Giants-Pats Game Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Canadian, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Timregan106

Timregan106 Member

I know it's sour grapes but you're 100% right on this. I understand if you dont call holds away from plays, but tonight there were a few at the point of attack that led to big plays that were blatant. Carey is usually a good ref and I like the way he calls a game, but tonight was frustrating to watch because of the Pats OL's blatant holding that went uncalled.

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

you've been making these kinds of posts constantly. Has very little to do with the thread, but you constantly have to push your "salary cap is bad for parity" garbage everywhere. I wouldn't make a big deal about it if this was the first time you did this. But it's about the 8th time.

3. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

FUCK Tom "Turn-your head and" Coughlin.

He never comes through big on anything . . .

Except . . .

The Tristate Area's #1 Supplier of Vinegar to Summer's Eve Brand Douche Kits

He fugged up proper tonight --

--Bert

4. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

I didn't see the '89 49ers or the '90s Cowboys playing tonight? What great team do you speak of? Hell the '85 Bears or '86 Giants could of beaten them easily.

#464 wildthing202, Dec 30, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. msw6880

msw6880 New Member

i think the pats could have at least taken the 1990 cowboys

6. The 4th Ring

The 4th Ring New Member

Glad you guys watched the game.

Say what you will, the Pats did it all last night. The most amazing part is they had to get two TDs to Moss. The Giants knew that and they couldn't stop it.

Who's the best clutch QB ever to play the game?.......

>>>>>>>>Brady (that was an easy one)

7. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

fixed that for you....

8. Beamen

Beamen New Member

There are a lot of things about the Patriots that I respect the hell out of...

Brady is a phenomenal QB who seems to get better every game.

Randy Moss is the fastest straight-line runner I have ever seen on a football field, and has proven everyone wrong this year.

Belichick has an almost perfect balance of gutsy calls and smart calls throughout every game.

That being said, after watching about 12 of the Pats 16 games this year, I'll tell you straight up that they don't deserve to be 16-0. MAYBE they could have done it without cheap shots and unfair officiating, but we don't know that.

Rodney Harrison is a straight up scumbag, and that he is privileged enough to be part of such a huge, historic season and still is going around running his mouth and dropping late hits on players is disgusting.

There aren't as many bad calls in the Pats favor as a lot of people make it out like there are. What there is is an abundance of non-calls which are just terrible....

Last night, maybe because of how close the game was, and how much every play counted (much like the Baltimore game) it because extremely obvious...

Randy Moss with a blatant leg whip to spring the ball-carrier for a 1st down. No call.

Vince Wilfork with a poke to Brandon Jacobs eye. Not in a pile, standing up after the play. No call.

The play before that, the Pats defender draped himself on Jacobs so long after the play that Jacobs looked ready to fight when he got up. No call (although even the Pats will get flagged for doing it twice in a row)

Amani Toomer flagged for looking at a Pats player, who subsequently lost his balance on the sideline and fell. 15 yard penalty, at one of the most crucial points in the game.

Amani Toomer (again! What did he say to the refs? They had it out for him) flagged for what TECHNICALLY was a hold, but was EXACTLY the block every one's favorite white boy, Welker, made on the Giants DB on the TD run earlier in the game. Again at a pivotal point in the game.

The referees wait to throw a flag for illegal formation until after the Pats have run he play, and the pass has fallen incomplete. Giving them 1st and G instead of 2nd and G.

In addition to all these obvious ones, there were a couple pass interference or illegal contact calls that could have gone either way. Randy Moss initiated first contact with the Giants LB on the PI call in the EZ. Had Moss not put his hands out on the LB, who knows if contact would have been made before the ball got there?

Moss BLATANTLY pushed off on the 4th down play early in the game, leading to the Pats first 3 points.

But probably worst of all was the BLATANT wrap up and drag down tackling that consistently went uncalled along the Pats offensive line. Specifically, Matt Light vs Osi. On the Pats final drive, I watched 4 consecutive plays where Osi made a move the the outside, and had everything but his inside shoulder completely past Light. Light then would grab the shoulder pad with his left hand, and the jersey with his right. Never called, yet is holding by the most strict definition of the penalty.

The list goes on and on and on...

The Pats are a very, very, very good ball club. But I can't respect them for going undefeated unless they can win a close game without getting help.

Hopefully we'll get to see them in a close game without help come the playoffs. But who knows.

9. The 4th Ring

The 4th Ring New Member

Even Jet fans are smart enought to know that the refs are not part of an ultimate plan for the Pats to be the greatest team of all time.

The truth is that is impossible to say what would happen if the 85 Bears (or any other historical team) and the 07 Patriots locked horns. I can tell you that the results would be better than what happened to the 85 Pats.

I do feel that the atheletes are better in all sports, so to dominate today you would theorectically be able to beat a team from 20 plus years ago. Do the math on average size and speed.

So there will never be agreement on what team is the best ever.....if the Pats win the Super Bowl this season it would be hard to convince me that any historical team was any better.

Relax and enjoy history in the making......

10. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

Yes, some questionable calls went for the Patriots last night but there are questionable calls every game. How about that bullshit personal foul on Moss for spiking the ball that ended up resulting in a run-back as the blockers had so much time to set up his blocks? The refs last night were consistent and you didn't see much holding on the Giants whenever Eli dropped back, and yes that personal foul on Toomer was stupid but then again so was the Moss one. Griping about refs in one game is fine, but once people start saying that there is a conspiracy for or against a team then they are just trying to make themselves sound like completely bitter idiots.

We don't know whats being said on the field and whats really going on, so calling anyone on the Pats classless from such a distance (except for Rodney Harrison) is silly.

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I've seen enough questionable calls in enough Pats games to have a legitimate cause for questioning the non-partisanship of the referees. From the tuck to Toomer, it really is getting to be just a little bit ridiculous.

12. The 4th Ring

The 4th Ring New Member

The reason why you remember the tuck and other calls that went in the Pats favor is that the Pats are good enough to take advantage making the plays afterwards.

13. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

I generally agree with you. My biggest gripes were the Toomer personal foul because it came at such an inopportune time and really kicked the team while they were down. But you have a fair point about the Moss personal foul. Aside from that, I complain about Strahan and Osi being held every week. It's frustrating.

Regardless to all of this, if Gerris Wilkinson could've just turned around when he was mugging Moss in the end zone, who knows where we'd be.

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

there were bad calls last night:

1)Light was holding Umenyiora all night long.

2)Wilfork didn't get called for trying to poke Jacobs's eye out.

3)Giants receiver getting hit late after the play.

4)15 yard penalty on Toomer for doing nothing.

5)Moss first trying to cut a DB, then pulling him down and leg-whipping him when the DB didn't go down with him. That's definitely a penalty.

6)The play where Brady was over-run and never had a chance to find a receiver, and they call illegal contact or whatever.

#474 Yisman, Dec 30, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  15. Ten

Ten Active Member

The moss penalty was fair,he almost hit the ref when he spiked the ball.That's going to draw a flag every time.

16. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Spiking the ball became a penalty before this season. PF-Unsportsmanlike Conduct 15 yds. I didn't see the play but sounds like it wasn't too much BS to me.

17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

If the ref had been standing 5 yards away, it would not have been called... The ball came close to hitting the ref when it was spiked and the ref threw the flag....

18. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Sounds weird. Are you sure that it wasn't just because he would've gotten an earful if he didn't call blatant spiking? I'm pretty sure it became a penalty this summer because I remember thinking to myself "what's next?"

Pretty soon the players are going to be robots with flags, and the QB is the one behind all the other ones inside of a bubble with a dress on.

19. Quack

Quack New Member

Not enough sequins on the dress, 5 yard penalty, loss of down.

20. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

LTM,

Great game and what a performance by the Giants. This season we have played a lot of team's best, but I was really impressed with the Giants. Good luck in the playoffs!! :beer:

.... Also, props to my Pats. Unreal. So much fun to watch this year. Such a commitment to winning from the top on down. It was a special season. Now we are all 0-0. I can't wait for the playoffs. :)