Sanders gets $37.5M, Impact on Rhodes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Beamen, Dec 28, 2007.

1. sayuki

sayuki New Member

Does he get 38 million dollars at once or is it spread? how does the money affect cap?

2. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I believe the gauranteed money is pro-rated over the life of the contract. So the $20M over 5 years would only count $4M against the cap/yr. The rest of the contract is incentives.

3. petekendall

petekendall New Member

bill and kerry looked pretty cozy after the pats game

4. JetsLookingforDWare

Wow people underrate the crap out of Rhodes here.

Sanders may make more impact...forget that he's on a D with Dwight Freeney, Marlin Jackson, Mathis, and whoever else it is the Colts have....but what does it matter if he's not playing games?

Kerry is a high impact, elite, YOUNG safety and has been our best defender for two years. Why so nonchalant about letting him go?

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I wouldn't say nonchalant, exactly. I beleive Rhodes should get a nice contract. Should it be the highest for his position - no. I think when the better players on the teamcome due for contract negotiations, the way the conduct themselves is also an example of team leadership. While I do not expect players to play for peanuts it is pretty evident that barring very serious injury Kerry Rhodes will never have to work another day in his life after football.

I would want him to accept a fair contract.

Now, if the guy starts bitching and moaning about how the Jets offers are insulting and he just can't wait until he is a FA because he is the best of any safety out there, then I would show him the door quickly. You just don't need that kind of distraction on a football team. You expect your name players to work with you at keeping the team in tact.

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

so let our best defensive player and probably our best player on the team walk if he ask for a high contract. lmao u guys kill me its not ur damn money. rhodes is gonna cash in if the jets dont wanna pay him fine. im sure BB and the pats+ many other teams would love to add a player of rhodes caliber to there defense's. and will have no problem opening the vault for him.

freaking kenyon coleman got 20 million. rhodes is worth the same money sanders get at this point. he is one of the top 5 safties in the nfl.

7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I have no doubt whatsoever that Rhodes and the Jets will work something out. I don't see Kerry as being a Pain in the Ass as far as contract demands go and i can't see our FO trying to lowball him. No worries about Kerry playing in anything other than NY green and white for the next 5+ years.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I do not see why there is such a need for a flippant attitude towards Rhodes. He is a very good young player. Certainly just using numbers/stats he is elite. His numbers over the last 2 years are better than all but 1-2 safeties in all of football.

This is the type of player the Jets are in woefully short supply. Something will get done.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The overall value is meaningless, it's about guaranteed money and Coleman only got $6 mil guaranteed which is almost nothing in the NFL. Of course Rhodes will get more than $20 mil in salary but he will command much higher guaranteed money which is where the problem will be. We need to sign him this offseason where the deal should be a bit lower than it will evetually be when he hits his FA year.

10. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

The Colts gave Sanders a terrible contract, and I'd hope the Jets won't follow suit. Rhodes is a nice player, but if signing him prevents us from filling our many other holes, then we're going to have to wave goodbye.

-X-

11. ANJI

ANJI New Member

I think a 30 million dollar contract is fair for Rhodes............

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whatever it takes to keep Rhodes is the fair contract.

This team already has a major talent deficit and they cannot afford to make Randy Thomas and Laveranues Coles type mistakes with their young stars at this point.

13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Agree. We're always quick to gauge Rhodes against the best safeties in the league, but don't want the team to pay him as such when time comes? That's what losing teams do, they don't pay their best players. Then at the same time when Rhodes does walk, half the board will be screaming for the GM's head on a stick, and whining about how much our secondary sucks.

#33 Kris 15, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  14. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

We rarely seem to agree, but on Rhodes I agree with you 100 percent. This is not a team that can afford to lose any of their young talent for free like they did with Thomas and McKenzie.

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This is not a knock on Rhodes. I love him as a Jet.

I Just dont see us able to get it done this offseason and after another terrible season , Rhodes will not want to stay with this franchise.