Sanders gets $37.5M, Impact on Rhodes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Beamen, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Beamen

Beamen New Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/28/sanders.ap/index.html

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Bob Sanders' big hits have finally paid off in a big way.

The two-time Pro Bowler signed a five-year contract extension Friday, a deal that will keep him with the Indianapolis Colts through 2012 and makes him one of the league's highest-paid safeties.

The deal is worth $37.5 million and includes $20 million in guarantees, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the deal had not yet been announced.

Sanders' average salary of $7.5 million under the extension is nearly $1 million more than what Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu got in his new deal in July, and the guaranteed money is more than what Ed Reed got when he signed an extension with the Ravens in June 2006.

Colts spokesman Craig Kelley said the team would not confirm the deal, but Sanders told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that he had signed the deal Friday.

His contract was to expire after this season.

"I got a call late in the evening yesterday from my agent and he said he was hoping to get it done," Sanders said. "I'm excited, very excited about it -- knowing they want me around here makes me happy."

Sanders is one of the top candidates for NFL defensive player of the year. Coach Tony Dungy calls him "The Eraser" for his ability to cover up mistakes.

He's also the heart of the Colts defense.

Last year, when Sanders missed 12 regular-season games, the Colts allowed a league-worst 5.3 yards per carry. When he returned in the playoffs, the Colts made a dramatic turnaround and wound up winning the Super Bowl. Sanders received much of the credit.

This year, with Sanders missing just one game because of injury, the Colts defense ranks No. 1 in the league against the pass and has allowed a more respectable 3.9 yards per carry.

But Sanders had a bigger personal goal this year: staying healthy.

"It was just about being a player, being competitive," he said. "I wanted to show everyone I could stay healthy. There were a lot of questions about whether I could stay healthy and I wanted to prove to everyone and myself that I could stay healthy, be consistent and play well."

With Sanders playing closer to the line of scrimmage, almost as a linebacker for much of the season, he has 123 tackles, 21/2 sacks, two interceptions and one forced fumble.

But his impact cannot be measured solely in numbers.

When defensive end Dwight Freeney went down with a season-ending foot injury in mid-November, Sanders became the defense's uncontested leader and the results have been impressive.

"When you think of a defensive player of the year, you usually think about someone who really is a dominant player, who makes big plays and is a game changer. You don't usually think of it being a secondary guy," Dungy said Monday. "Occasionally it is, but you think of guys like Lawrence Taylor and Mike Singletary. Bob has definitely been a game-changer for us."

Sanders now joins an exclusive club of well-paid Colts (13-2).

Two-time league MVP Peyton Manning signed a $98 million contract in March 2004, and perennial Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison got a $66 million deal nine months later. Two-time Pro Bowl receiver Reggie Wayne agreed to a $39 million contract in 2006, and in July, Freeney, a three-time Pro Bowl pick, was rewarded with a six-year, $72 million deal -- the highest annual average of any NFL defender.

"When you come in, it's hard but you've got to prove yourself and play well consistently," Sanders said. "Just to be named with those guys, I'm honored. It's a great honor."

The move also helps Indianapolis on another front.

Dallas Clark, yet another key component in the Colts' high-scoring offense, also is scheduled to become a free agent after the season. Clark, a first-round pick in 2003 and a college and pro teammate of Sanders, has already set single-season franchise records this year for receptions (57) and touchdown receptions (11) by a tight end.

With Sanders now under contract, the Colts could use the franchise tag to keep Clark in Indianapolis, too.

As the article indicates, the price for elite safeties (and yes, Rhodes is among the elite safeties in football) is rising, in a similar fashion, though not as dramatically, as the price for OGs has risen of late....

If I am not mistaken, Rhodes is scheduled to become a FA after next season. The Jets would be wise to pay extend him ASAP, so as to not even let him get close to free agency. Although I don't think Rhodes will cost as much as Sanders, a contract averaging $5M+ a year with $15M guaranteed (as opposed to the $7M+ and $20M guaranteed for Sanders) does not seem out of the question.... We have cap room, and, at this point, extending Rhodes and working on the OL should have 100% of the FO's offseason focus...

Just wondering what you all thought the impact of Sanders' contract on the Rhodes negotiations will be, or if there will even be an impact...

#1 Beamen, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Rhodes services shouldn't cost as much as Sanders is getting. I'd give Rhodes a respectable amount though, and for a few years at that. I want him back for a while.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Rhodes' isn't going to demand the same money that Bob Sanders is...and if he does, I wouldn't mind seeing him walk.

He's a great player, but he's no Bob Sanders.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rhodes is going to get the highest contract ever paid for a safety when he signs. Whether it's with us or not remains open to speculation. I think the franchise tag will come into play before all is said and done, even if only as a negotiating ploy.

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I'll only believe that if he hits the FA market in the 2009 offseason...

If we can re-sign him now, we should be able to get him to extend for a little less than Sanders got...

If we wait until after 2008 (which will very likely be his 3rd great season in a row, and his 4th above-average season overall, in a 4 year career) I could definitely see him exceeding Sanders' $37.5M contract...

Being the relatively frugal franchise that we are, we would be VERY foolish to let it get to that point, as we are not likely to fair well in a bidding war for his services...

6. Br4d

Rhodes may or may not want to continue playing for the Jets at this point. Careers are short and playing for non-contenders isn't something that good players with options generally choose to do.

I expect the Jets to have a lot of trouble locking Rhodes down early unless they beat the Sanders contract.

7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I can see that, especially considering his demeanor when asked about coaching decisions in many post-game press conferences... He has seemed none too pleased....

I guess it all depends on his priorities, but, if it takes beating the $7M+/year contract Sanders got to lock up our only elite player, I say you bite the bullet and do it...

I KNOW the Jets almost never think that way, but as a fan, I would be devastated to see Rhodes sign with a contender because of our frugality.... We're not a franchise that comes about top-tier players often enough to let one of them go....

8. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

We should try to lock him up before the draft. Although he's falling in Mel Kiper's update (and we'd be stupid to pick him at No. 7), S Kenny Phillips of Miami was projected as a top 10 pick. If we trade down he'd have to be an option.

9. Br4d

I agree on paying what it takes to lock him up. He's our best defensive player and he will be very effective in a coherent defensive scheme, whether 3-4 or 4-3.

I also agree on getting it done before the draft. I don't think taking a first round safety is viable but they'd certainly like to use a round 1 to 4 pick on a safety if Rhodes is looking shaky.

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Whether it's the Jets or in FA, Rhodes is going to get BIG money; possibly more than Sanders. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats made a big push for him if he hit the open market.

11. rillo

rillo New Member

I think Rhodes will sign for *less*....hopefully. But make sure he stays with us.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

True. Rhodes hasn't missed 26 of a possible 64 games over the past 4 years.

Sanders is a nasty player, but I'd take Rhodes over him.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...but when Bob Sanders was out, the Colts defense was not even close to being as good as they were with him.

Kerry Rhodes is my favorite player on the Jets right now, but if he asks for the same kind of money as Sanders, who's likely this year's defensive MVP, he's crazy.

14. JetsLookingforDWare

When you miss almost half of your teams games, it has to be taken into account.

Rhodes is a top 5 safety the past two seasons. Sanders has played 18 games.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The annual salary won'y make or break the deal, it will be the guaranteed money and $20 mil is a ridiculous amount.

16. Coltsfan18

Coltsfan18 New Member

Sanders is worth every penny. He will help guide the Colts to yet another Superbowl win

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think Woody wants to see Rhodes tackle at least one RB before extending his contract.

18. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Kerry Rhodes had 100+ tackles his rookie season....

As he's progressed as a player, he's been asked to step back and play over the top in pass coverage (except when he blitzes, which is a hit or miss situation) more often, which doesn't allow him to play as close to the line and rack up the tackles....

Tackles don't make or break a safety. Rhodes is as good in pass coverage as any safety in football, and has ball instincts as good as anyone I know of...

19. JV51

JV51 New Member

Rhodes is the best defensive player on the team. If he goes, this team goes to shit even worse.

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I agree. Rhodes is very good. Is he awesome? No.........
    I do think he deserves a fair contract and we should try to get him to commit to an extension given our cap room, but I would not let him hold the team hostage. If he goes to end of contract and will not re-negotiate; then we franchise him if we want to - and probably should. After that - if he is still being impossible - which I doubt will happen, but if it does, then we let him walk and we go to the draft.