A question of Loyalty to this team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MeanJoeGreen, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I would have laughed my ass off in 1993 when the Broncos beat the Jets on opening day, 26-20. In that game, Blair Thomas caught a pass inside the 10-yard line and went out of bounds with no Denver players near him. The Jets ended up either kicking a FG or not even scoring on that drive.
    Thomas was off balance a tad, but he still should have scored on the play.

2. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

I can sympathize. I've followed this team since 1966. I've always justified it by saying that they're still my "home" team even though they play in New Jersey. At least Hofstra is accessible. Now that they're moving everything to Florham Park, what's the point ?
    On a bad traffic day, it can be easier getting to Foxboro.
    Leaving the Meadowlands one time, it took over 2 hours to get to my friend's house in Secaucus!

Maybe I should just be grateful that I was alive to see SB III and just let go.

3. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

It is like a marriage.

I will love this team in sickness and in health until death do us part.

Mean Joe Green, don't go.

4. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Speaking of fan hood, how many people watched the Jets game vs the Pats and Steelers. Sadly I found myself watching the Pats/Steelers game...

5. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

To be honest I an shocked you guys can even think about swapping teams. I see the general consensus is that you stick with your team through thick and thin and its the bad times that make the good times so enjoyable.

I could never even think about switching teams no matter what pain they put me though. I may be an international Jets supporter and probably could switch with no real problems as I have no ties due to locality, no family ties etc but the Jets are the team i chose in the mid 80's and ill stick with them forever. I have been over 3 times and we have lost every time but I am still going to keep coming.

None of the teams I support have had much success and it is a sore point as I love my sport so much. But move to another team just to experience success?!! never it would be oh so hollow!!

6. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Not like a marriage - in a marriage you get screwed once a month...this team screws you every weekend.

7. glenfoley

glenfoley New Member

Guys, remember this anguish is the same Pats fans spewed for years before Parcells and then BB. I grew up rooting for the Pats through their suckitude and I have to say if they can become perennial powers so can any team in the NFL.

I think you gotta stick with your team. I remember sitting there when the Pats played the Rams during the regular season in 2001. The Pats were a pretenderish playoff team that was showing some signs and people were hesitant to get their hopes up to much. They played the Rams that night and beat the tar out of them on D. We ended up losing but Mike Martz made some comments about the Pats being the toughest team they had played all year and he hoped he didnt see them again this year. The team took off after that and the rest was history.

Sitting on those aluminum benches for years, none of us saw this coming. You dont want to bandwagon to the Cowboys and miss out on this if it happens for the Jets.

8. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

The only way I can justify staying a Jets fan is that all this suffering will make it all the sweeter when/if we do finally win one. Think how all those Red Sox fans felt after 86 years of pain. Now look at them. I'm sure those years of suffering are all but forgotten after 2 WS titles.

All that being said, I think if you're looking for redemption from the Jets in the short-term you're out of luck. Not seeing a lot of signs that we are on the verge of something great.

9. rillo

rillo New Member

Always have and will be a JETS fan.....

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The problem with this team is the ownership. Johnson could care less about winning and will never spend the money to put a winning team on the field. People like to pick on Hess but he always tried and he was willing to spend whatever it took. As long as this asshole owns the team we will be mired in mediocrity or worse forever.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

:rofl:

Damn man, it's true. The Jets have screwed me more this year than my wife.

Wow, being a Jets fan sucks a lot.

But I'd never turn my back on them. I can watch any football game, but I can only truly root for the Jets.

12. sect105

sect105 New Member

Being a Jets Fan Sucks but would you rather be a fan of the...

Browns
    Falcons
    Saints
    Bengals
    Lions
    Vikings
    Chiefs
    Eagles
    Chargers

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'll never get statements like this. There is a thing called a salary cap. Everyone can spend the same amount on players. Our owner built new locker room facilities at Giants stadium, is building a new training facility, and was willing to spend a massive amount of his own money on the WSS.

14. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

dude, we need to know why. im sure its a phenomenal story.

15. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Unsolicited flashing of his man boobs to the Gate D ramp crowd........

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm did the new L/room impove the talent of our players? Do you think the new T/facility will improve the talent of our players? Do you think our 1/2 share of a new stadium will improve our players talent. By mentioning the salary gap do you realize that you are saying that our FO & CS is paying money for players who cannot play FB while OTH the NEPs are paying the same amount of money for there players & have developed a juggernaut of a team. Makes you wonder where the brains in the AFCE reside

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Sounds like you already jumped ship.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Unfortunately, I probably will never switch allegiances.

I just wish I was never a Jets fan in the first place.

It's not just about the on-field performances. I don't like much about the ownership of this team. I don't like being a little brother to the Giants and playing in a stadium named after another team.

It is interesting how many of us think it is a major character flaw to give up on a sports team and jump on another team's bandwagon, yet many of us think nothing of divorcing our spouse.

19. dueskays

dueskays New Member

if you're considering switching you are not a real fan. period. get out, no one wants you to be a jet fan.

20. MeanJoeGreen

MeanJoeGreen New Member

I second that one. It's all about your priorities in life.