Williams a waste

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MeanGreen80, Mar 24, 2006.

1. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

We have a winner here. I like Williams the more I hear about him and he seems to be touted as another Peppers. If he's a better fit for the the 3-4 we get potential same or better talent then JAbe, for less money and younger. That's not such a bad deal. Then add using #29 on the other side of the line and getting our Center of the future or another potential starting LB and that's a nice first round.

2. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Yes there was a way to keep Ab financially. We had the money, we just choose not to use it.
    And Mario Williams would be a LB in our 3-4 set, wouldn't he?

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

No, he would be a DE. He's 6'7, 295-300.

4. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

haha its more conversation than your total amount of posts!!!!

5. MattMan

MattMan New Member

AJ Hawk is the best defensive player

6. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

What williams?? Mario or DeAngelo? I personally feel trading down and getting DeAngelo would be a great pickup.

7. I disagree completely. Hawk is pretty much what you see is what you get. He's an mike/sam style linebacker would good quickness to the ball and toughness. He'll be a blue collar top LB for his entire career(if he stays healthy).

Mario Williams is one of the most athletic players to ever enter the draft at his position. His numbers are comparable to Julius Peppers except he doesnt have as good of a motor but has better size. Williams has more upside than anybody else in this draft...he is by far the most talented defensive player available.

W/ that said, I wont even begin to compare him to J Abe. Williams is a big strong DE who uses power and agility to disrupt ballcarriers and sack QB's. Abe is pretty much completely a speed rusher and does not have the ability to hold up in a 3-4.

You can't compare apples and oranges. If Williams is available at 4 and the FO believes he's the BPA, we cannot and will not pass on him.

8. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Isn't that what you want to do when you lose players?

9. Streetballa333

Streetballa333 New Member

Mario Williams is a 4-3 defensive end in the Julius Peppers mold. Asking Mario Williams to play in the 3-4 would stunt his growth as a player and neutralize is greatest strength, is pass rushing abilities.

10. igotpneumonia89

igotpneumonia89 New Member

we def getting ferguson now since no runyan. unless he is taken

11. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

Getting an OT would be idiotic if you have a top five pick you need to get playmakers the jets could address the offensiveline in the middle rounds.

12. triplebean

triplebean New Member

I bet Williams won't sit out playoff games like that girly man Abe.

13. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

I totally agree with those who choose not to select Mario Williams. We just traded away a dominant DE and now we want to replace him by rolling the dice in the draft. I say with the fourth pick we select either Cutler or AJ Hawk.

14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Cause selecting Cutler is nowhere near a roll of the dice?

I don't know where I heard it but is so true "Never underestimate man's ability to deny reality".

15. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

This draft is loaded with DEs and we already have a great one in Ellis. I wouldn't mind us using a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a DE but that 1st pick has to be offense. We desperatley need playmakers on offense.

16. parafly

parafly New Member

The first round should definitely be used on the offense. There are just too many holes to overlook, and we are in desparate need of OL.

Drafting Mario Williams would not make much sense with our current situation. We have shaun ellis, dewayne robertson, and kimo. There really isn't much room for him so we shouldn't draft him even though he has the potential to be a total stud.

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Dewayne likely will not fit the 3-4 and Kimo, while a good player, is a just a stop-gap. Mario is a freak. He's the defensive version of Vernon Davis in this draft. No way do you pass that up if you have the chance.

And no, he doesn't replace Abraham. We'll need to get a speedy OLB at some point to replace him and move Hobson inside with Vilma.