Brad can't catch...lol

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by onefanjet, Dec 4, 2007.

1. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

He has bad hands but I think he is still valuable to the team. He plays special teams and can contribute on offense as a running qb and maybe we should let him throw it once or twice if the situation calls for it. If hes your 4th receiver hes not bad it's when you have injuries and he becomes second or third that he hurts you.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I've been posting all year--BRAD SMITH IS NO WR--If anything he should be full-time backup QB next year.

3. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Brad Smith is a 4th wr and a good special teams player. When you have injuries to your 1 and 2 recievers guys like Mccariens and Smith get exposed. Smth can do a lot of different things on the field and Mangini loves thos players.

4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Brad Smith is versatile but as a starter or 3rd string reciever he realistically isnt very good at catching passes.

5. zoobooz

zoobooz Member

He's getting a lot more time on the field, and a lot of receivers show up in their third seasons. I still think he can be a good #3, on top of the other things he can do in the offense.

Now 81, he's blown it over and over and over... You see Smith going all out on every play, and not quitting on plays. Don't compare those two players, one actually plays with some heart.

6. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Mccariens tries, last year when he lost his spot to Cotchery it would of been easy for him to cry to the media about it, but he played special teams and contributed what he could.

I agree he drops way too many balls, but he is a team player.

7. Jserr4802

Jserr4802 New Member

Brad is consistantly the first guy down the field on special teams to make first contact, he is a football player, you don't cut football players, 2nd year he gets a pass.

8. JimmyTheGreek

JimmyTheGreek New Member

I don't think we should ever cut him but if his hands don't improve he will be replaced as the #4 WR in the future. He is very good on special teams and surprisingly is very good in pursuit and open field tackling.

9. B-B-B-Bennie

B-B-B-Bennie New Member

If he can't catch, why would you want him back there trying to catch long snaps?

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

He is not a Wr and that is that. Catching a football and having the intangibles to be a Wr can not be coached. Either you can catch or you can't. Period.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not true. Learning to catch a ball is a skill, just like any other physical skill.

However the Magic Number is 3.

3 Seasons is what it takes to see if the lights will come on, sometimes a little more on a conversion project..

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

This is correct. WRs need to play at least three full seasons before you give up on them.

One example can be found nearby with the Giants.

Amani Toomer was the Giants 2nd round pick in 1996.

Toomer's stats his first four years-
    1996- 7 games, 1 catch
    1997- 16 games, 16 catches
    1998- 16 games, 27 catches
    1999- 16 games, 79 catches

In those first two years, Toomer was backing up guys such as Chris Calloway, Thomas Lewis, and Kevin Alexander. None of those three players was as good as Coles and Cotchery.
    Plus, unlike Toomer, Brad Smith did not play the wide receiver position in college.

Is Smith ever going to have hands like Jerry Rice? No.
    Can he be an effective #2 starter at some point? Well, I think he can. It might not be until 2009, however.

13. FOURTHANDLONG

You can teach route running, blocking and you can learn a play book. The thing that makes a Wr go get a football, take it from defenders, know when to dive, Jump, slide how to follow a ball in wind conditions can not be taught no matter how hard you practice. Wr's that can't catch are called Corner backs in the Nfl.
    Lol..

14. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

This is an absurd thread.

The kid is a depth wide receiver. He's in his second season EVER at the position and he's on pace for 30 catches for like 300 yards. He'll probably hit 400 yards if Cotchery is out for the season. All accounts of him say he is a model citizen who is incredibly coachable and has an outstanding work ethic. He's excellent on special teams. Moreover, everyone has bad games. We don't kill Chrebet to this day because his fumble against the Bears a few years back nearly cost us the season. We lost the Washington game because Clinton Portis ran all over us, not because Brad Smith dropped a few passes.

Nothing like a bad season to bring all the goofballs out.

-X-

15. FOURTHANDLONG

We are rebuilding and we all realize it at this point. We are evaluating Butterfingers at the position for future seasons to come. Don't want to see him as our number three receiver in 2010 dropping passes when it counts. The bottom line is do we have to get more depth at the position.

16. floridajet

floridajet Member

Brad Smith, like someone mentioned above, is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. This guy hustles his ass off. Watch on special teams how he is always the first one to the ball handler (and has had some nice hits too). I think he is more suited for the slot receiver spot, dual RB packages, and screen passes (among other things).

Here is to hoping Brad Smith has a long illustrious and healthy career with the JETS!

17. FOURTHANDLONG

With that said it does not make him a starting Qb or Wr in the Nfl. It makes him a special teams fill in guy. Every team needs a Brad Smith the question is should he start as a #3 receiver when there are way better out there.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

As I noted in post 32, it may take Smith another year or two to become a good WR. It is foolish to write off the guy right now.

He will be with the Jets in 2008. If he can't get the job done next season, then a decision may be made. Until then, we have to hold our horses.

19. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

The point that Cakes and I are trying to make is you can't make judgements based on a sample as small as his. Last year this guy made some incredible catches. He's cheap and worth the effort, and as we've seen with McCareins, you have to earn your spot on the roster on team Mangini. If he doesn't cut it, he's not going to be starting.

As of now it behooves us to be patient. It would be nice to win some games, but we're not making playoffs and it won't help our draft position.

-X-

20. FOURTHANDLONG

I am patient with everyone on the team at this point and I hope he does turn into a great receiver. He like everyone else gets a pass for their mistakes this year and I hope he gets alot of reps in the remaining games. I wish Chansi Stuckey was here to get some reps!