Samuel and Revis: A nice matching pair

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Well said Hornet, the lines need more work than the secondary does. I am tired of seeing the lines just get run over every week. Size and power are needed.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think next year's CB combo will be more like Darelle Revis and Randall gay.

3. legler82

I don't know if saying Revis may turn out to be a better corner than Samuels is that far fetched. Revis is a way better corner than Samuels was at the same point of his career. Revis is rookie with barely no training camp who has already established himself as the best corner on the team and it can be argued that he is one of the better corners in the league. I'm amazed at how much he looks and plays like a seasoned vet. Even the best corners struggled at some point of their rookie season. Revis has been uncharacteristically consistent. His play is even more impressive when you consider that fact he has no pass rush to speak of.

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

We really don't know how good Samuels is. He's been playing behind one of the best sevens in the league his entire career. He also usually has safety help on top of him so he can be more aggressive. It would be interesting to swap a good cornerback from a bad defense with Samuels and just find out how good he is. All that being said he's a great cornerback just not sure if he's as good as someone like Champ Bailey.

5. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

does it ever occur to anyone, that revis's pass defense is inflated because of our in-ability to defend the run? he is not a big playmaker, heck romo hit him in the chest with a ball and he didnt come away with the pick. al harris is a better corner and T.O. had a field day on him. T.O. didnt run all this motion stuff against us like he did against the packers, because his effectiveness wasnt as critical to winning against us like it was on thursday night. revis is not deion!!!

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

so are you saying that the opponents have passed less because they can just run on us all day, which in turn makes Revis look better? In that case, why does he already have 11 passes defended?:wink:

if you are going to pick on the Jets, stick to the obvious problems, such as the defensive line...

and youre right, he isnt Deion...Revis can tackle

7. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

spend the money woody dont be cheap. Maybe get some money back from them over paid guys.

8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That would be more affordable, Gay looks decent, you just don't hear much about him.

9. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

its not about affordable.we have cap room . we lack talent we dont need more bench players to come in here and hope they becomes starting material. i rather spend the money on a legit guy. not be cheap and get a guy that looks decent in spot duty.

10. tbruner12

wasnt i picking on the d-line by saying that teams run on us? it doesnt make him look better. hmmm....11 passes defended in 12 games, thats less than 1 per game......yep he's ready for the pro-bowl. its no secret neon didnt like contact, but you sure as heck didnt look to throw in his direction, which is a DB's priority, not run defense.

11. legler82

It's unfair to compare any CB against Deon. He was in a league of his own when it comes to covering. He IMO was the last true "shutdown" corner and maybe even the first. When you compare Revis to todays top corners, the gap is not as wide.

12. tbruner12

get real. revis isnt bailey, samuel,etc..... we all hope he turns out to be, but the sad thing is nobody packaged multiple picks to move up and get those guys.

13. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

actually now its 12 PD, in 12 games....and he's 8th in the league. In case math isnt your forte, that in the top 17% of all starting cornerbacks...not bad for a rookie.

14. tbruner12

i know, i know, and he is a tackling machine......he's ready for the hall of fame! whoopiee...............we are 3-9. things are looking up for our team because we traded up to get a guy who is in the upper 17% of the league in passes defended, when we needed trench help on both sided. good argument! you are a football genius! go to the bunker and sit in your circle, scikotics.

15. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

No one is overhyping him, Im just saying that hes playing worthy enough for the 16th pick and the 1st CB taken in the draft...he looks good. Did I proclaim him the next Deion?

And thank you , its about time you bow down and recognize greatness...now go back to the TT forum and complain about how I am personally attacking you...

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Your logic is Catch-22 and idiotic. If anybody actually knew how Bailey or Samuel would turn out, they would have packaged picks to move up to get them. And between the two of them, only Bailey looked as good as Revis as early. You are making a safe argument that can't be proven for a year or so and if you are proven wrong, just like every other blowhard that makes grand predictions on this board over the years, 'tbruner12' will disappear in favor of some other unrelated screen name and you'll take credit for knowing how good he was.

17. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

We just needed to sit Chad earlier and start Harris from day one. If we had done that, we would be in the wildcard mix right now.

18. tbruner12

not me baby! i aint going nowhere. if i'm wrong i'll eat my words, you can quote it. if you are wrong are you gonna eat yours? if anybody knew? what is this? i guess revis is a cant miss talent, probowl after probowl? so coming out of college the other two were nobodies? a couple years from now revis might be a consistent player, maybe even a pro-bowl. was he worth this season to aquire?

19. tbruner12

you cant be serious?

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Look at yourself man...now you're arguing yourself in circles. Are you really intimating that trading up to draft Revis cost us the season, cause that's what it sounds like?