We need a playmaker: Draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Nov 30, 2007.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

u must not watch cfb. or must not have ever seen mcfadden play.. he will be the best player in this draft by far regardless of position.

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

when the chargers drafted LT they were a piss poor team. o wait thats what we are now.
    Vikings had 2 capable pro bowl wr's when they drafted randy moss.

all im saying in whats already gonna be a weak draft you take the BPA . not trade down were talent dramatically drops.

#42 hydro51, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Cheers Cakes , I know how passionate you are about NCAAF and value your opinion. So you really rate him THAT highly? Wow

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If McFadden falls to us in the draft we should do everything we can to trade the pick and get more first day picks from somebody that needs a RB. Better yet, more picks and a player that we actually need.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good point. If McFadden is there and we're on the board, there'll be an absolute bidding war going on and somebody's gonna really overpay to move up to that slot. We could wind up with multiple 1st Round picks and even some later round picks and still have our excellent, early 2nd Rounder, 3rd Rounder, etc....

Then we can still have our cake and eat it too, by taking a really good wideout, maybe a good corner and still have room for some really huge, athletic linemen and maybe a good passrushing DE.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I tend to agree with you , but because of my lack of knowledge am unable to decide if we should go for him. If he is such an enigma , then he has to be a Jet. But we already have 2 servicable backs in TJ and Leon , who will do for the moment.
    As you mention , 'hole' all over the team are a concern and we need to try and fill as many as we can , but not compromise on quality. Theres no point at all just filling for the sake of ticking boxes.

I admit that this year I have not watched many games at all. NASN shows some really meaningless games as well. So I'm going on what I've seen and read , which isn't much. If you guys are saying he really is that good , I'm not about to argue.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes, he is a huge talent at that position. Another thing to consider is that if McFadden plays as well in the NFL as I think he will and he puts up big numbers, he'll be a bigger star than Faulk and Peterson because he has more personality than them. He's a gregarious guy.
    The other Hog RB, Felix Jones, also has 1st round talent.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Excellent. The Pats will tie up high first round talent in a runningback in a season in which we have absolutely no chance to compete with them on the field. Then hopefully McFadden will get hurt, like most runningbacks who get 250+ carries do, and we'll be savoring our hog on defense or offense for a decade to come.

If we base our decisions on what the Pats will do then we wind up making mistakes like trading up for Revis. Did getting Revis help us even one iota against Moss and company in game 1? Will Moss still be playing at a high level when we ARE ready to compete with the Pats?

I am just so disgusted at this point with the amateurs running the Jets.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You aren't really basing an argument on Revis' first game as a pro are you?

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

so why can't we draft McFadden, and then still get some really huge, athletic linemen and maybe a good passrushing DE?

Cakes listed a bunch of FA OL, in which we sign one or a couple before the draft, who would instantly make our OL better. how come that's not good enough?

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Does it even matter what game it was? Did any other CB shut Moss down this year no matter how many years or games they have played? Revis will get another show at him in a coup[le of weeks and that won't be his first game as a pro. We'll see how he does then.

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

My feeling is that Mcfadden is a rare talent on the level with the top running backs. The problem I have with taking a running back in top 10 of the draft are:

1) A running back is nothing without a good line. The Broncos and many other teams have proven that a good line can make an average nfl running back look great. The only running back whoever made a crap offensive line look good was Barry Sanders. And Mcfadden is not Barry Sanders. A running back is only as good as his line.
    2) The NFL is now a 2 back league. Very few teams want to have their running backs touch the ball 30 times a game anymore. Few players can take the the grind for 16+ games year after year. Most running backs have a few good years and then fade away. Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis are more the exception then the rule.
    3) We have a ton of money invested in Thomas Jones and if we draft Mcfadden we will have a ton of money invested in a skill position. When a team is rebuilding you want to have more of your cap room invested in lineman. Top 5 picks get paid a bounty. The players are rarely worth the money. I'd almost be happier having a pick later in the draft. We got Mangold late in the first round and Revis at 14. If we get another first round pick as good as those two guys I'd be very happy.
    4) Can Mcfadden stop the run or pass rush?

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No, I'm basing my argument on the Jets knee-jerk reaction to the Patriot's acquisition of several wide-receivers in the offseason. There was absolutely no need to prioritize a defensive back in the first round, particularly as a trade-up, when the Jets were going to get destroyed on the lines and make that defensive back much less effective.

You build the fronts first and then you add skill players to the equation. That's NFL 101 and it's the policy that all effective management teams follow. The Jets seemed to have this down in 2006 and then suddenly, along about the middle of January they became like the stupid blonde who only knows how to suck.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I usually am on the same page with you, but the decision to move up and get Revis may have more to do with the fact that the Pats beat us with 3rd and 4th tier WRs and then went out and upgraded the Position if they based it on the Pats at all. We absolutely needed a shut down corner.

15. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

mcfadden is not the answer for what the jets need. mcfadden is a finesse runner that could easily sustain a knee injury and never be that same runner he was. rb is high risk for that early of a 1st rd pick...history says some of the best backs in the league came in the later rounds........

16. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I am really sick of this wanting to win under the radar mentality. There is not one person on this team that makes me want to go out of my way to watch them play each week. This bullshit about stocking picks and filling hole seems to be the mentality every year at the draft, but it never seems to work. I am sick of this team trying to win a Super Bowl every year with mediocre players at best in every position. Get me McFadden.

Not to mention, if the Jets don't take McFadden, there's a good chance he goes to the Patriots and ruins the next 10 years of any chances that we get to win the division.

I don't care about risking a high pick on a RB in the 1st round. Jets fans need a reason to go to Jets games next year. If Tannenbaum screws up this offseason, he needs to be fired. Same with Mangini.

17. We are in no position to prioritize draft needs as a franchise. If Mcfadenn is there..we only have 2 options...

1. Wait for someone to trade us their soul to take him and move down

2. Take him and get the bes RB prospect since Tomlinson.

18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. And even if that strategy WAS the key to success, I don't trust this front office to implement it properly.

Take the best players available...and pray we find some gems in the later rounds to fill the other holes.

19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I love when people give opinions on running backs who they have probably never seen play. McFadden is far from a "finesse" runner. Thomas Jones is decent, but hes on the downside of his career. Leave it to the Jets to waste money on players who are far removed from their most productive years. I think we should take McFadden if hes on the board. Hes a cant miss prospect and hes young and he'll be with the team for a long time. The OL and DL can be addressed in the later rounds in the draft and free agency. Not very often do you see running backs with the size, speed, quickness that McFadden possesses. Ive seen him play several times this year and the kid has talents you dont see come around very often. The decision should be simple....

20. HudsonJet

HudsonJet New Member

What is the pont in getting a top notch running back without linemen to block for him? I have a sickening feeling that the Jets will have a very high draft pick come this april, and I would be absolutely upset to see the Jets take a RB that high. I look at the Jets, and I see our run defense as one of our weekest links. Every game that I see, it seems that the opposing teams running back's can run at will. The loss of Vilma, and the subsequent addition of Harris, has actually improved the team (although I hate to admit it). What we now need is a dominant defensive lineman. D-Rob has ocassionally show flashes of decency as a nose tackle, and it is definatelly a need area. Bryan Thomas has been virtually unseen this year, and I think that this guy isn't getting enough criticism for our lack of pass rush (I know that we have picked it up since the bye, but you can't just ignore 9 games of evidence). But I digress... In conclusion, forget the flashy pick in McFadden. The New York Jets need Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long. Football is won up front gentlemen, and the Jets are cerainly not winning the battle.