If Derek Anderson is available this offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JoeWillie130, Nov 24, 2007.

1. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

So say Clemens plays status quo the rest of the season. I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me think he's any good. He holds onto the ball too long and the accuracy clearly isn't there. Yes too early to judge but if you give him 5 more games and I still feel the same way then I at least consider my options this offseason. And I know I will get a lot of the oh but the O-line doesn't protect him arguments but I don't buy that. That was the argument for David Carr but clearly the case was that he just isn't an NFL QB. Schaub has done well there when Johnson has been healthy and if you still think Carr is any good just think that Carolina is choosing to start Vinny T over him. Also Clemens hangs onto the ball waaay too long. You have to adjust to what you have and even though the offense was just as inept with Pennington he at least got rid of the ball quickly. I am probably giving Kellen a raw deal right now especially with Coles out but I am hoping Coles will play out the last 5 and we can get a better idea of what Clemens can do. Is he holding onto the ball too long because there's no one open or does he just not read the coverage quick enough or is he just to scared to throw the ball. I don't know.

Anyway back to the topic. Derek Anderson. The guy has proven he can play. He's done well this year and did well in a limited stint last year. The Browns offense went from non-existant to one of the best in the league with him at the helm. We all know they have Quinn sitting back there and they will eventually have to play him. So the question is would you pursue a trade for Anderson if Clemens doesn't show anything down the stretch? I don't know if the Browns would deal him (the smart move would be to trade the unproven Quinn if they could) but I think they would for the right offer and I think Vilma would get him here. Vilma doesn't fit this team and now its clear Harris is our MLB of the future. We are unlikely to get the value we want for Vilma if we trade him for a pick so I think we need to get a player and the quickest way for the Jets to be competitive again is to get a Qb who can play in here. We sure up the the guard and RT position and throw Anderson in there and all of a sudden I think we have a pretty good offense. Still plenty of work to be done on the d-line but at least we will have a decent O. So what do you guys think? Do you like Anderson or think he is a one year wonder? Would giving up Vilma for him be too much? Do the Browns play a 3-4?? I don't remember if they do but if thats the case maybe they wouldn't want Vilma or maybe they would be smart enough to move him to the outside and he would be willing to do that. Anyway I have watched a few of the Browns games this year and Anderson has impressed me enough to think he is starting QB material in this league so if I was GM I am at least making a call to see if he's available.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Browns do play a 3-4.

Anderson is a restricted free agent. Depending on what tender Anderson draws, the Jets would lose one or two early draft picks.

Anderson is already with his second NFL franchise. Outside of the Chiefs game, the guy did not particularly play well in limited action in 2006. That was his second season in the league. Look at him now.

This is Clemens' second season. The Jets would be mindless to give up on him.

3. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Two points:

1. That is ZERO chance that Anderson will be available to other teams after this year. He is the Brown's QB. Quinn might be available but I do not see us pursuing him.

2. I do not agree that Kellen holds onto the ball too long. The pocket was simply breaking down so fast in the Dallas game that he did not have a chance, but he hung in there and tried to make a play. There is a difference.

4. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

The Anderson/Quinn situation is very much like the Brees/Rivers situation with the Chargers...Anderson has a great year when everyone thinks the first-round pick rookie will be the QB by midseason, and he's a restricted free agent so they hold onto him until they figure out what to do. I think they will (& should) keep Anderson, see if he can be great another season, then decide what to do with Quinn.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Agree with all that.

Anderson has also been streaky. For a series or two he'll look great. Then come out nad miss receivers all over the place for the next two. He has potential, but right now this team is no different with him at the helm than it is with Kellen.

Tack on the huge cost in $$ and picks it would cost, no thanks.

6. glenfoley

glenfoley New Member

I also think the Vikings and a few other teams will be all over him should he be available.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

These threads are a joke. Clemens has only played 4 games.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this thread is a joke period, regardless of Clemens' experience.

9. wonderboy24

wonderboy24 Member

I think the browns are going to shop Quinn and are only loking for a first rounder

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

You have to give Clemens more time , Only 4 NFL Starts and the kids only in his second season after not playing at all last season. He's been playing without the Number 1 reciever and with almost no protection. GIVE IT TIME!

11. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Not that I agree with the premis of this thread, but...

It has been reported that the Browns may actually franchise Anderson instead of the high RFA tender to further dissuade teams from attempting to sign him as it would cost the other team two 1st rounders, instead of of the 1st and 3rd round picks tied to the highest RFA tender.

#11 BlairThomas#1, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  12. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

As a side note, Vilma does not get this deal done. Whoever he gets traded for has to extend him, and his performance has dropped enough that it will worry teams, as it limits what you can do if he can only play 4-3. I can't see them getting a starting Qb, maybe a decent DL, a mid round pick, something closer to that. The move now is towards bigger versatile ILB who can play 4-3 or 3-4.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The way I understand it, Anderson cannot be designated as a franchise player due to the fact he is a restricted free agent as opposed to an unrestricted free agent.

14. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Pretty sure he can. I recall reading somewhere that it can be done. Could've been wrong, but it's hard to think of a reason why you shouldn't be able to use it.

Anderson is more likely to be available in two years. PinPointPenning10 nailed it, I think the Chargers set a clear example of the right way to handle this exact situation and I'd bet on the Browns following it. Obviously one of them is going to be available at some point, and if I'm the Jets I'd definitely have some interest, if the price is right and if Clemens doesn't improve a bit. Regardless of wins and losses, I'd like to see Clemens get more accurate before I start making any real long term plans, his completion percentage has been consistently bad, and while he hasn't had Coles available, he's also definitely had his share of misses. Say what you will about Pennington, he was getting the ball to his receivers, and they were catching it. I'd like to see Clemens doing that by the end of the season, and if he's not, I'd like to think the front office would consider all their options come the offseason.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The reason would be that it is not allowed according to the CBA.

Maybe there is a loophole or maybe there has been an amendment. I am only going with what I know and I seem to think RFAs cannot get slapped with the franchise tag.

Again, it is way too early to give up on Kellen Clemens.
    Did you like Derek Anderson in 2006? That was his second year in the league.
    What about Drew Brees? Brees' spotty play was the reason the Chargers drafted Rivers early in the 1st round in 2004.

16. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

If he's available in off-season.....Leave him in Cleveland.

17. amsingh

amsingh New Member

Derek Anderson is a one year wonder. Write it down.

18. Pride

Pride New Member

I hate to say it, but if CLemens shows absolutely nada from here to the end of the year you have to entertain (notice the choice of words) the thought of selecting Matt Ryan with our first pick

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

One of the reasons Clemens has a 50% completion percentage is that he throws the ball away rather than take sacks. With this OL his sack totals would be doubled if he did not throw it away.

20. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

There is no way Cleveland is parting with Derek Anderson at this point. They are going to start Anderson for the next 3 years and let Quinn's stock rise even as he never starts a game and then cash in on Quinn.