Insider Claims Jets Interested in Chris Long

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Warhound7, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

"NFL insiders" tell the Newark Star-Ledger that Virginia DE Chris Long is high on the Jets' wish list for the 2008 NFL Draft.

The 2-9 Jets are on track for a top-five pick next April, so they'll likely have a shot at Long near the top of the draft. Long is 6-3/275 and doesn't especially fit the mold of a 3-4 end. The Jets could view him as an outside linebacker. Chris is the son of former Raiders Hall of Famer Howie Long.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Well, if he's there and we have a shot at him, not a bad prospect, though I don't know about moving him to OLB. I think in the Jets workout program they can add some more muscle on him to get his weight up there so he could dominate at right DE.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

We should be interested in him because he's a rare 3-4 end and we need more bulk along the line.

3. glenfoley

glenfoley New Member

I would be very leery of using a top 5 pick on a guy who needs to transition from DE to LB. It can take time and there is lack of certainty as to who can successfully do it. The risk would seem to outweigh the reward if they are hoping to convert him to LB. The only ways I can think this would make sense is if they envisioned playing some 4-3 along with the 3-4 or if they plan to use him like Parcells/BB/Crenel use Willie McGinest.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think they'll play him at end, and he'll be effective in the NFL. He could probably be used as an OLB in some packages, but he should mainly be used at DE.

5. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Is it me or is the 2008 NFL Draft very weak this year, especially after four or five picks?
    Not many "lock" picks if there's such a thing these days.

6. glenfoley

glenfoley New Member

FWIW - the Pats were trying to trade picks last year for picks this year because they thought this year was a much stronger draft. I dont follow college football closely enough to know whats true or not.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It's weak in the areas that we need.

At the top there is a game-changing runner in McFadden, three QBs with Woodson, Brohm, and Ryan, and there's Glen Dorsey.

It will be a pretty talented top 10, but these picks help out other teams a lot more.

McFadden wouldn't be a bad pick if he falls to us and/or he falls into our laps.

8. Matty Jets

In addition, when it comes to our team needs it becomes even weaker. Top rated players include a 4-3 defensive end and a top-rated lineman who's probably better than Brick, but we can't draft another one.

9. Matty Jets

Agree MrE, just saw your post.

10. Matty Jets

McFadden was such a joy to watch yesterday sans fumbles. Too bad our offensive line is so putrid. It's refreshing to watch a kid like McFadden redeem himself and literally quarterback his team over the No.1 team in the country, and running an offensive called "The Wild Hog" formation. Fun, indeed.

#10 Matty Jets, Nov 24, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  11. Jake Long is in no way better than Brick. He's a classic Michigan lineman: Good size, brute strength, exceptional technique and tough..but lacks athleticism and is an average pass blocker. If your team needs a boost in the running game...or a final piece to an elite line..Long is your man...but he's not a potential franchise LT like Brick is on his way to being.

As for Chris Long, I love him as a prospect. Intense, Smart, fantastic technique and quick hands. But I question his ability to play in the jets scheme. He's not gonna be making any transition to OLB. His playing strengths do not translate to success at that spot. He needs to stay on the line.

I could see him being successful in our scheme if we had 2 guys next to him who had very good size/strength and were extremely stout against the run. That would allow him to lose alittle ground in the running game(which he would in this scheme) but would also be able to penetrate and be disruptive. He's not gonna be able to do that currently.

I really think him coming to the jets, barring some serious offseason moves before his selection, would be a mistake for the Jets and for Chris.

Assuming we're selecting top 5...there are only 3 possibilities of players that would help this team.

1. Jake Long- As listed above, would add a needed punch to the running game and would be a good compliment to Brick. Problem is, do you wanna spend a top 5 pick on a RT??

2. Darren mcFadden- Best player available in the draft, bar none. He'd be the heir apparent to Jones but would help us NOW. The arguement for taking him however...is our lines are just SO bad...

3. DeSean Jackson- W/ a healthy Coles and a consistent Cotchery, Jackson would make our WR corps truly elite..and would also be another threat on special teams. Problem w/ him, is the same w/ McFadden..he doesnt fill our biggest need.

12. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

F our biggest needs...I say address those during FA, then draft the BPA...how about that for a change..

13. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Don't the Jets already had 10 guys who were DE/LBs?

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Well, Matt Chatham should be cut...but no one on our roster that plays at the rush OLB spot or DE has a motor like Chris Long.

Long changed the UVA/VT game today by getting big sacks and causing a fumble. Too bad UVA's offense couldn't score.

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

So he'd fit right in.:breakdance:

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yeah...he probably would.

17. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

He couldn't play 3-4 end in the NFL, unless the rest of the line was massive, the Jets biggest problem is we have no size on the line, adding Long just gives us another undersized end.

I hope we win 1 or 2 more games so Gholston isn't to much of a reach.

18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Agreed completely...I think Gholston is the guy we need.

Imagine a LB core with Harris and maybe Vilma inside with Gholston and Thomas on the outside? That would be pretty good...

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. You don't draft people in the top half of the first round to play positions other than the ones they played at the collegiate level.

However, if this management team is still in charge next season anything could happen. The Jets have no proven management talent in-house at the moment.

20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Good points.
    I read the original posters quotes and thought here we go again , trying to make a player fit. Getting sick of that , lets get players in who are who they are instead of trying to be clever , because so far it hasn't worked.