At #4 the Jets are sitting in the catbird seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

This talk of trading up to #2 is all wrong because the dynamics of trading John Abraham makes the #4 Spot an ideal situation in my view ... places the Jets in a CAN'T LOSE situation in regards to need and value ... so why deal the #4 and #29 Picks {at the very least} when we have a ton of holes to fill, need every pick we can get, and we're already in a position to fill a need with an outstanding propsect at #4 Overall?

Here's the bottom line, we already know Reggie Bush is going #1 Overall ... Slam Dunk

So that leaves two picks ahead of us

If those two picks are some variation of Leinart and Cutler, the Jets snatch that rare BIG/STRONG 295 Pound DE {Super Mario} who also possesses the SPEED/QUICKNESS of a smallish edge rusher ... that is extremely rare, makes him a perfect fit for a fluctuating 34/43 that Mangini is sure to deploy as they do in NE, and it's outstanding value at a position of need

If those two picks are some variation of Mario and Leinart the Jets are in a position to draft a QB {Jay Cutler} who's rocket for an arm is tailor made for the meadowlands, even more so than Leinart in my view

And if by chance those two picks are Mario and Cutler the Jets are in a position to draft the consensus #1 QB on the overwhelming majority of boards {Matt Leinart}, and though I may have some questions about his arm strength for the northeast, or while he doesn't have a Cutler cannon, his arm is plenty strong enough to succeed in NY and that would be viewed as a coup at #4 in most circles

So the way I see it we're really in a no lose situation at #4, and that would be true even if you happen to prefer Brick, Hawk or Vernon Davis ... so why on earth should we deal two first round picks {at the very least} to move up two spots when we can KEEP THE #29 Pick and makeout just fine at #4?

I wouldn't do it ... not now, not after Abe has been dealt ... now we are in as close to a NO LOSE at #4 as you can get ... by that I mean all draft picks are risky to some degree until they prove themselves in the pros, that is even true of Reggie Bush to some degree, but accepting that fact we are in a killer position to walk off with a heck of a prospect, who fills a need, at #4 Overall ... no matter what!!

Comments?

#1 Jabba the Jet, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  2. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

you got it! The Jets do not have to do anything. The Saints want Super Mario and would be taking a big risk trading out. I think they take Williams and the Titans take Leinart. The Jets take Cutler

3. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

you summed it up perfectly. We are in the drivers seat and should not let anyother team dictate what we need to do by forcing us to trade up. The only other scenario i would go with is if we do trade down with oakland and take a vernon davis and nagata so we can stock up picks and they get vince young.

4. phillyjet

phillyjet New Member

Jabba,

You GJ&H?

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yes, yes he is.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Once again, you are on the money Jabba. I agree 100%!

I do think we should skip the QBs altogether in the first round. I would look at Croyle in the second or third round, and trade the 29 to a team that was below .500 this past year for their #1 next year. Then we set ourselves up for trading up for Quinn, if the Penny/Ramsey/Croyle thing doesn't work out.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

If we stay at 4 you can kiss goobye Mario and Matt Leinart...Jay Cutler at 4 would be nice though.

8. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Saints could pick Ferguson at #2.

9. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

10. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Stay at 4 and take Cutler!!!! No reason to do anything else there unless he's gone! Then take Leinart!!! Well done Jabba the Jet

11. Warrior

Warrior Member

One problem - the Jets don't want to stay at #4. Too much money to invest in one player who is unproven and the Jets will not take Cutler or Leinhart. They trade down if possible.

12. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Why trade down when we can finally get a franchise QB that we haven't had since, oh what the SB 3..When was the last time we drafted a talented QB this high in the draft. I just think its a must to take a QB at 4 and build around whoever it is! Plus we have the money now so why not invest it now.

13. Warrior

Warrior Member

I have a feeling the Jets don't feel that these guys are franchise players and therefore do not want to sink in the $$$ that a #4 gets. If Mangini's philosophy is to build a team around a core of tough characters he is not going to invest alot of $$$ in an unproven player. I see them trading down into the middle of the 1st round.

14. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I agree with he's philosophy but no matter who or where we draft they'll still be getting alot of money and they'll still be unproven. Every player in the draft is unproven, so if these guys fit his good character philosophy then spend the money. I can't remeber a time we when were 20 mil. under the cap. I just would hate to lose out on a possible franchise QB because we were being CHEAP!

15. getterdun

getterdun New Member

trading down

If the Jets can accumulate another first or early second round draft pick by trading out of the 4 spot, I say do it. The Cowboys built their SB teams of the nineties using this strategy. Trading down means more picks, which translates into more young potential. This team is not a player or two from the Super Bowl.

16. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

you cant teach 6'7"

i hope that guy falls to 4

17. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I totally agree that we're more then a player or two away but one of these guys would be a huge piece of that puzzle. There's no way to get an extra number 1 out of trading our #4, all we'll do is swap #1's with someone and pick up an extra later rd. pick. I just look at what Eli's done (meaning how he improved from 1 year to the next and so did his team) and would love to get a young QB to build a team around.

18. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

Why in the heck would we go through so much hassle with the trade for abraham (just to move up two additional spots from the original seattle offer) to get the highest possible pick for him , and then turn around and trade down? doesnt make too much sense does it? well that expalins your theory!

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

It makes sense to trade down from #4 to gain more picks. The #29 has nothing to do with it.

20. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

i wouldnt expect a dope like you to understand what i was trying to say. sometimes if you just read and stop trying to nbe a pompous ass, you could comprehend.