Jets must adjust to Jones' style...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, Nov 15, 2007.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

For a technical critique of the Jet's running woes, here from espn.com insider AFC scout blogger Marwan Maalouf, is a technical analysis ....

Jets must adjust to Jones' style
    by: Marwan Maalouf
    posted: Friday, November 9, 2007 |

When the New York Jets acquired RB Thomas Jones from the Bears in the offseason many people thought the Jets' running game would improve drastically. However, that has not been the case and Jones has struggled thus far.

There is a lack of run game for the Jets for a couple of reasons. First, the offensive line isn't getting movement on the line of scrimmage, which starts to cloud the running lanes for Jones. They are also not sustaining their blocks and are allowing defensive linemen to make plays at the last second before Jones is able to run by.

Secondly, Jones' running style does not work well with the Jets' blocking scheme. Jones is more of a north-and-south runner who is able to make one cut and then burst through the line. But, the Jets are more of a zone team and the cutback lanes on inside-zone, in particular, are wide. Jones has had trouble seeing the cutback most of the time and when he does, he's too late to react to it and by the time he does the play is swarming with defenders.

The style of run that best suits Jones is isolation blocking with preferably a lead blocker in front of him, and that lead blocker doesn't always have to be a fullback either. Gap-run plays don't have cutback lanes and usually hit in either the A or B gaps. They cater to Jones' strength and allow him to take a pivot step in the backfield and then run downhill with a burst behind a pulling guard or tackle, who acts as the lead blocker. The Wham run play with the tight end motioning and blocking down on a one technique is also a great play that hits fast and downhill, which Jones could excel at.

Since the traditional run game isn't working well for the Jets, they are trying different things to gain yards on the ground. The Jets are using a lot of end around and fake end around run plays. The fake end around helps freeze the defensive end or contain player, so they are not squeezing down on the inside-zone run play, which is the real call. When the Jets' offensive coaches see that the defensive end is getting too nosey and is closing down hard on the zone play, the Jets will then call a true end around play with any one of the wide receivers getting the hand off and running outside. These plays work well as a change of pace, but overall the Jets need to get more production from Jones and the traditional running game.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

That's all well and good. But it ain't gonna happen with the OGs and RT we have now. This is not going to be fixed until next year....sadly

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Yet another reason why we should start using an I formation in the middle of the field...

It seems the only time we get a FB in the game, is in the RZ, and then we try to be cute, and don't bother running either....

Running out of one, and only one formation (the Singleback, with a few variations) makes the running game very predictable, and, because of our poor OG play, gets rid of any possibility of Jones getting to follow a real lead blocker

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm amazed that we don't use a FB more often , isn't that why we aquired Barnes and Tutt for? When Ryan has blocked for Jones , he has looked about the best so far.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It doesn't speak well of our front office that they obtained a RB that does not fit their scheme / talent. The fact that they haven't started changing the game plan to fit Jones talents speaks volumes about our coaching staff.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You have to pick up the pieces in the order they become available.

7. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

The article makes sense for the most part. And I agree about the I formation. Need to exploit the talents of the team. Hopefully Mangini has watched a heck of a lot of tape this bye week and we are going to see some significant changes. Although I don't think that we will see much on this Sunday other then Jaimes Harrisions tred marks on Kellen Clemen's helmet.

8. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

McFadden!!! get it done tanny.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That's like saying you need to buy a garage to park your car in before you buy a car. The backs we had last year would have been just fine if we could have blocked then or now. Jones was a waste of money and picks and the biggest blunder this FO has made thus far.

10. GreenMachine

This McFadden craze is starting to remind me of the "Draft Ohatele" crowd

11. CharlotteJet

CharlotteJet New Member

Barnes is 6'2" 240...I'm sure he could creat some type of gap at the line.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Last year it was Reggie amd lets face it we could all do with more Bush

13. Beamen

Beamen New Member

That was one poster, named "get_OHATELE" who, was clamoring for us to draft Sean Taylor, instead of Vilma, but alternatively wanted us to yank Ohatele from Washington

14. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

c'mon guy.how can the jets adjust to jones style.when the offensive line he runs behind.is probably the worst run blocking o.l. in the league.they must improve the guard position which is sub par with mediocre moore and you know who.the right tackle is a waste with clemens manning that position.in other words three of the offensive line positions must be upgraded next season whether by the draft or free agency.I am sure that my fellow jet fans agree with me on that point.

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

We have our Reggie Bush, his name is Leon Washington.

Let's face it 3 out of 5 of our offensive linemen are backups on any other team, it's sad. It really is, Tangini did nothing to improve this team on the offensive line.

16. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Exactly, I find myself asking that question week after week. We are wasting away a great talent in Thomas Jones and I'm sick of watching it. Mangini is getting to me, his big smiles on the side line late into games when we loss the lead bothers the heck out of me. His arrogant cocky attitude is not going to last in New York.

#16 IrishSteveZ, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  17. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

well i thought when you get a certain type of runner you adjust to his style and the oline has to adjust also not just the coaching.

i dont get it, like this issue was a surprise, once we get a better left guard and a better right tackle we will be fine.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

haha...Leon Washington has nothing on Reggie Bush. Maybe in the return game, but on offense, it's insulting to Bush to compare him to Neon Leon.

Teams don't fear Washington, everyone is afraid of Bush...and he doesn't even have many big plays this season.

19. GreenMachine

so why do teams fear him?

PRODUCTION>HYPE

And to think teams do not fear Leon is dumb.

I am sure a ST coach is saying " kick it to leon he is nothing"

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What has Leon done for us on offense this season, besides rack up negative yards? Teams aren't afraid. I live in South Carolina now, so I get a lot of NFC South games and I've watched the Saints play a lot this season, and when Bush is on the field, things open up for Drew Brees. With Bush as the full-time starter, Brees has become a great QB again.

Production > Hype? -- even though the Saints lost to the Rams, Brees has been PRODUCING, and it's because Reggie Bush is opening things up...something that Leon Washington can't do. I don't care if you think Bush is over hyped -- A lot of people on this board are overrating Leon Washington as a running back, just because he's solid as a kick returner.

Darren Sproles scored on a punt return and a kick return last week, I don't see anyone saying that he's like Reggie Bush. No one in this league is like Reggie Bush. He isn't even close to being the best back, but he has a lot more talent than most.

I like Leon...as a return man, but he is worthless as running back, and he is only hurting this team right now.