NFL coaches on the hotseat as of week 9

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Br4d, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is my opinion of which franchises are most likely to see changes at head coach or coordinator positions at this point in the season:

1. Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati)

There is just no excuse for the Bengals continued lack of production on his watch. The defense has been a major disappointment for several seasons running now ranking no higher than the composite 22 they achieved in 2004.

If the Bengals continue on their collision course with 6-10 Lewis will be fired at the end of the season.

2. Scott Linehan (St Louis)

The Rams have been badly outplayed for most of the season and the lockerroom is openly disgruntled at this point. A 4-4 second half would hold onto the job but the Rams don't look to be capable of that given the minor injuries that keep sidelining key contributors on both sides of the ball.

3. Cam Cameron (Miami)

Badly overmatched as an NFL head coach both Cameron and GM Randy Mueller look like possible goners at the end of the year. Mueller co-existed uneasily with Nick Saban, who wanted full control of the organization. Cameron was his choice as the new head coach and he'll probably follow him out the door if the Dolphin collapse forces Wayne Huizenga to make his third major regime change in 4 seasons. Bill Parcells is the honcho in mind if that happens.

4. Mike Nolan (San Francisco)

This is year three of the Nolan era in San Francisco and the 49ers are regressing to their pre-Nolan form and are now 13-27 under his watch. A gifted 3-4 defensive coordinator, Nolan will have no problems finding work somewhere in the NFL (Jets?) if he's let go.

5. Eric Mangini (Jets)

You've all seen it unfold so I will spare the recitation of the grisly facts this season. Suffice it to say that injuries are not what has laid the Jets low. If this was season three of his reign he'd be a dead man walking. As it is both he and Mike Tannenbaum are in peril of falling if the Jets collapse continues. The only prior coach under Woody Johnson who had a very bad season wound up leaving the team in a hurry, and he had some real excuses for what had happened on his watch. At a minimum defensive coordinator Bob Sutton is gone.

#1 Br4d, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not a bad list.

I really can't see Mangini getting the ax right now. I think Sutton is gone as well though.

I'd also have to add Turner in San Diego. 4 and 4 after todays loss is a major dissapointment after having such an outstanding season last year. The talent has not changed, so it has to be the coaching on that one.

3. Br4d

I considered Turner and Mike Shanahan as possible inclusions on the list over Mangini and Nolan.

The reason I left Turner off was that coaches virtually never get fired after winning seasons and I still see San Diego as likely to win 9 games and quite possibly the division (although they lost to KC already this season.)

Shanahan probably should get fired after this season. However he's as close to an icon as exists in the NFL coaching ranks at the moment and he's held in high regard by Denver's ownership team and particularly by John Elway.

4. Collingwood

Collingwood New Member

Andy Reid

he has his own off field family issues and some just as big on field

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'd say rght now, that if Shanahan is fired, it would not hurt my feelings if the Jets where first in line to scoop him up. There's a guy who knows his way around a running game. Something I'd love to see us use in NY.

6. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Shanahan is a complete pile of crap. He earned his genius reputation when John Elway won two superbowls for him; since then he has done absolutely nothing.

It?s real easy to look like a genius when you have the best quarterback of the time.

7. Br4d

Elway and Terrell Davis. That's the best QB/HB combination over a two season span in NFL history.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It wouldn't be new for the Chargers.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

In his defense, he had Jake Plummer for many years but still got to AFC title games, his D was good with Al Wilson and Co. but like most good coaches with no talent to coach, he looks bad right now.

If Cutler comes around, and so does that D, Shanahan will look like the genius he was.