Question about the Mangini Interview

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Oct 25, 2007.

1. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Can't call a guy that goes A Rod in the post season a real superstar.
    And until Cuban wins a championship or two, he's just another owner with more of a high profile than the others.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

How much do you really watch the games? Count the number of times there are 4 down linemen next time. It's not that uncommon. We are ineffective in either alignment.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

He is an owner who would not stand for Chad under any circumstance. Period.

4. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Just what we need, an owner who meddles without knowing anything, how does that work out in Washington?

5. FOURTHANDLONG

There is a difference between meddling and watching something that is blatantly obvious that is not being done. You think Jerry Jones or Kraft would sit here an watch this Pennington mess without saying something to Mangini.

6. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Yes I would. Do you really think Kraft says anything concerning the team's play to Belicheck? Can you imagine BB's reaction if he did?

It would be "Hey Bob, get the "F" out of here. You don't know sh!t about football or what I am doing here. Stick your your suggestions up your a$$."

What could Kraft do about it? Fire the guy?

7. billo83

billo83 Member

I think you're missing the point here. Belicheck has done nothing but win in NE and there would be no reason for the owner to step in. Kraft originally hired rah-rah Pete Caroll to coach the team. How long did that last? Kraft wasn't satisfied with just making the playoffs and the overall performance of the team so he let Petey go. If Belicheat was never hired, and Kraft had this disaster on his hands with a 2nd year coach, he would definitely get involved. This is the type of owner the Jets desparately need. One who will not be satisfied with mediocrity and just making the playoffs; one who will get involved and make tough decisions when they are needed. Sadly this is not the case with the Jets.

8. FOURTHANDLONG

Beli has the resume to tell anyone that. Mangini does not. How did changing the Qb work out in Dallas last year?

9. billo83

billo83 Member

Exactly. I don't know if Tangini is the real deal or not, a lot of their decisions (especially recently) have been very questionable to say the least. Unfortunately if they do prove to be inefective, Woody would probably keep them here forever anyway. Not intending to restart an old debate, but IMO an owner with his salt would have fired Herm after the ridiculous play calling in the Pitt playoff game.

10. Day2Diehard

Day2Diehard New Member

Happened to be watching my "History of the NYJ" DVD last nite and at the end of disc 1 they show a clip of Mangini's press conference as Woody is introducing him as HC of the NYJ. One of Mangini's quotes was "Our philosophy will be to play to the strengths of our players"...doesn't exactly seem as if he and the staff took that one to heart. There is no way that force feeding the current crop of defensive players the 3-4 scheme is playing to their strengths.

Maybe there is a long term plan in place to revamp the whole d but for now wouldn't you ideally play the best scheme for your personnel?

11. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Koz, Mark Cuban? He's won nothing. Kraft's first hire was Pete Carroll, who was horrible. He's done well with Belichick, obviously, but how much is he a great owner or Belichick a great coach. I'd be sold on Kraft more if his next hire is lights out. Because, right now, he's batting .500.

12. billo83

billo83 Member

But Kraft dumped Pete with a believe 2 years left on his contract. You're not always going to hire a great coach, but a good owner knows when to cut the losses and move on.

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Let's see... lose 1-3 games & hate on the QB. Lose 4-6 games and hate on the coaching staff. Lose 7 or more turn on ownership. I think I get the idea now! :)

We have a pretty young and or inexperienced structure from the top down with the Owner, FO, and CS. Some of these losses are going to fall on the players and some on the rest of those involved in the process. As fans there isn't much we can do about any of that, but I hope all the bitching helps some of you sleep at least. We all just have to find some patience and see where this takes us.

14. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Are you really suggesting that Jerry Jones made Parcells make the QB change? Please.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Very little of what has happened since 2007 began correlates to what Tannenbaum and Mangini were saying in February of 2006.

That's what's so distressing about the current situation. It's like the guys who were brought in last year to build a new franchise were kidnapped and replaced by imposters.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

not only are they not playing to the player's strengths, they are too damn stubborn to admit their QB stinks as does their 3-4 (make changes NOW!)

17. the_wanton_song

He's batting .500 :rofl: ??? Have you looked at the record of the New England Patriots since Robert Kraft bought the team? This man is one of the greatest owners in sports history.