Runyan praises Eric Mangini as he prepares for a serious contract offer.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Mar 22, 2006.

1. phatnols

phatnols Member

He probably wont go to Philly. They go by a certian rule. Never give a player over 30 a long term deal.

2. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

I also have confidence in our FO, i mean how can you not? They got us under the cap, got us some tough blue collar players who will give it their all. What more you need?

Im sure mangini will offer him a contract that is good for a player of his caliber.

If he doesnt accept it then he really was just using us. And not someone we would want anyway.

3. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Two years, 5 million, and an option year sound good to everyone?

Edit: five million looks so cheap in a post. Six million.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'm sure more money will be involved. That's a deal for a mediocre at best tackle. Runyan is still very good.

5. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

It did strike me as being a little low when I wrote it, but given that he's 33 and we're paying draft-pick money for Adrian Jones, I'm wondering how low the Jets will start.

He is very good, however. I wouldn't object if they went higher.

6. phatnols

phatnols Member

Probably closer to 4 mil a yr I might be going a little high...... Tackles arent cheap. Look what the Atlanta guy got and he is avg 6 yrs 36 mil. Last yr Mc Kenzie got around 6 mil per. Fabini got 3 mil per I think. If we got Runyan at 2.5 mil per? WOW

7. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

Philly fans have absolutely zero faith that there Front office will be able to resign him. THey are already talkin about him in the pass tense and are saying theyre goodbyes. I posted a thread asking about runyan and the majority claim he is simply a mauler with great vetern presense and is still very effective even though he can open the gaping holes he once could.

8. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

I doubt he gets measured up against KMcK - he's much, much younger, is he not?

Fabini's deal would be a good benchmark. I'd load the option year, for 2008, with significant escalators.

9. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

They must be really disappointed. Then again, it was a very, very long year.

10. dave123

dave123 New Member

runyan would be a great signing and revamp our o-line, he would bring veteran leadership and maybe moore and jones can learn some things from him

11. phatnols

phatnols Member

I am not comparing him to McKenzie or Shaeffer(sp?). Yes they are younger so they will get more money becuase of yrs of contract(backloaded non guarenteed money). But crappy tackles in FA are signed for 3 mil per yr or less. He will get more than Fabini if he doesnt? We got the signing of the yr.

12. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

An eagles fan description of Jon Runyan

13. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

I'm going to be pissed if he ends up just using up to drive up his price.

#33 sanchizeqb, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  14. MCHECK62

MCHECK62 New Member

If we sign Runyan, does that preclude the drafting of D'Brickashaw Ferguson? We could have two pretty good bookend tackles. We'd have Kendall at C or G, Brandon Moore at the other G. We'd be pretty decent at least in terms of personnel.

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Adrian Jones will prove to be a good starting LT for the long term. It's a waste to invest further in a position of strength.

16. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Nope. While I agree with ScotsJet that Adrian Jones would do the job at LT well into the future, he's still on his 2004 rookie salary. If the Tangini team wanted to replace him, not wanting to pursue Herm and Terry's project, then the only thing keeping Jones on the team in favor of Ferguson is paper.

17. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Nope. While I agree with ScotsJet that Adrian Jones would do the job at LT well into the future, he's still on his 2004 rookie salary. If the Tangini team wanted to replace him, not wanting to pursue Herm and Terry's project, then the only thing standing between Jones and the unemployment line is the time it takes to draw up waiver papers.

18. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I think this will get done....most players don't take physicals if they don't want to play somewhere and Runyan took a physical yesterday!!!! Let's get this done FO.

19. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

HotRod, how do you know he took a physical? See a link or something?

It would be an excellent sign if it was confirmed that he did take one.

20. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

This is a piece of an article from Dave Hutchinson of the Star Ledger:

"Should they sign Runyan, who visited yesterday and took a physical, or another veteran offensive tackle, the Jets are expected to target North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, who would be the heir apparent to John Abraham".